WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Vendor
27,727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys, I could use some help. An old army friend of mine is asking for a recommendation, and this is WAYYY outside my wheelhouse.

He's looking for the "best" under $250 (preferably no more than $235) "Digital solar atomic automatic correction like a pathfinder casio" (that's his exact wording, but "automatic" here is in conjunction with "correction", which I'd think means radio-sync'd to the atomic clock, or something like that).

EDIT - He also mentioned "Android Smart Watch" and "GPS", so if that helps, there it is.

I wouldn't even know where to start with that sort of thing. Anyone here have any ideas or suggestions for him? I'd really appreciate it.

·
Registered
3,884 Posts
Casio Edifice has a Bluetooth line of watches that auto correct around that price.
Casio Edifice Black Label EQB510D-1A Dual Dial

Ooooops you said digital. This is the problem with posting in the morning.

Suggest the Casio G Shock Rangeman .
Protrek line 3100

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
168 Posts
I recently picked up a protrek 3100 series for 203$ off amazon.has the and functions in a really small package and a great atm display

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
547 Posts
I agree, hard to beat the Casio GWM5610, regularly found for under $100 (currently $95 on Amazon), spend the remaining budget on bullbars, nato adapters, or a resin bracelet.

If GPS is a real want (for activity tracking purposes), the Suunto Ambit3 peak would be a nice start, but it's a pretty specific hiking/running/active watch and hard to pull off casually, but should be right at the upper end of the desired price point, but not solar.

Having had and used Moto360, Galaxy Gear S3, and Apple Watches I'm pretty meh on all of them. Garmin and Withings all have long battery lives to their connected watches, which would make them more attractive options, and I believe time is set via the Bluetooth connection, so it's somewhat radio controlled. Can be found in this price range, but they won't be solar.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Are you saying this /\ watch will always be right because of world band?? Find me something an analog that does that!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
547 Posts
Are you saying this /\ watch will always be right because of world band?? Find me something an analog that does that!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
There are quite a few, seems to be mostly a Japanese make feature, Casio has quite a few right in the $100 range; Citizen has a bunch in the $300-$500 range, and Seiko has a bunch that are GPS controlled (rather than radio signal) in the $1500-$2500 range. I'm sure there are others, but those are the ones that usually come up.

·
Registered
10,148 Posts
@doc: Hm, tricky thing. Getting a digital / solar / self-correcting (atomic signal) casio is easy, the aforementioned 5610 g-shock is probably the best bet.

GPS is... Mmmm sort of not an option, I fear. Also - did he want some kind of gps tracking, like on a mobile phone? or did he mean getting a time-signal from the GPS network (if so, currently that's being deployed in analog casio oceanus watches, not digitals (afaik), and pretty pricy).

"Like a smartwatch" Hmmmmmmmm well there is this bluetooth-enabled g-shock, which also does solar and time-correcting: https://www.seiyajapan.com/products/casio-g-shock-gb-5600b-1jf-bluetooth-v4-0 - I suspect that it time-corrects from the connected cellphone, but since the cellphone in turn corrects to the mobile cell network, which is (in a daisy-chain, of sorts) synced to world time anyway, it's, well, it works out anyway.

Now, he mentioned a casio pathfinder. So maybe he wanted some sort of outdoorsy stuff like compass directions etc.
If so, there are several pro-trek models that have atomic time sync and solar charging. But, from what I can tell, no bluetooth (so no "applewatch" features, no pairing to a smartphone), and the msrp is $300. (check https://www.casio.com/products/watches/pro-trek ).

Soo, that'd be my recommendation:
--- if he just wants "subtle", with solar & timesync: G-shock M5610
--- if he wants to connect a smartphone: G-shock GB-5600B-1JF
--- if he wants compass/outdoorsy: ProTrek PRW3000

Edit:
Also, I really suggest you ask on the g-shock subforum: Casio G-Shock they might know a lot more about digitals.

·
Vendor
27,727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
He is sort-of "outdoorsy", I think. I also think he works in a hospital environment, so perhaps either way, ruggedness is of value.

That Pro Trek line seems to be what he's looking for. I'd be somewhat surprised if he wasn't already aware of it, but I'll pass the reco along to him.

Much appreciate all the help, gents.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Recommend the Citizen CB0020-50E without hesitation. I have several of the radio controlled A-T watches and this one is my favorite even though it is the least expensive of all. It can be found under $250 any time and even under $175 for a like new if you are patient.

Key specs / features:
  • Radio controlled - recalibrates to the second every night
  • Support for 5 radio transmitters around the world, 26 (believe that is correct) time zones and automatic daylight savings time
  • Eco Drive - solar powered quartz
  • Perpetual Calendar - even supports leap year
  • 200M WR
  • Sapphire crystal
  • HIgh quality stainless bracelet with solid end links....even has half links for perfect sizing
  • Excellent lume on hands and indices
  • Excellent visibility / contrast
  • 5 year warranty + 1 additional year if registered with Citizen USA

If I wasn't into this silly automatic thing, this is the watch I would wear every day. It is boringly perfect. It is expected to last 15 - 20 years. That means it will provide accurate time to the second and date without any intervention for the life of the watch. I wear my divers and others for fun but when I travel or it is important to know the exact time...like on this coming Monday...this is the watch that I wear.
CB0020-58E.jpg

·
Registered
876 Posts
Normally I would suggest slapping the friend and having him look up horology. Of course you are an adult. I would normally play the I don't know what the G- you are talking about. Sure they exist, but wasting my time over such trivial and kind of OCD necessities. It will come around full circle, but do as you see fit. Finding RF, BT synched atomic wristwatch seems a tall order especially if you are an automatic person by nature.

I get the part about not burning bridges, but come on. Get an app for some kind of smart watch. Way too specific for a wrist watch in the first place.

Sorry if sounding snarky but how much will this person actually rely on this. Will your recommendation come back to bite you in the bum? Probably.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,146 Posts
If he is into the android thing wants gps time on the cheap, and have a watch that you can golf, run, and swim with tell him to look at the Garmin Vivoactive. Hits all his boxes except for solar. If solar and RC are the priority a million options from Citizen, Casio, and Seiko. GPS and solar isn't $235 from anybody I know of new.

·
Registered
12,735 Posts
My personal choice is a King G-Shock - GXW56. It's huge. It's solar. It's huge. It's atomic. It's huge. It's probably pretty indestructible with the additional shock absorbing doodads.

Seriously, it's not overburdened with features. It is very straightforward and easy to use. While it is huge, I feel like that's an advantage. As long as you stick to the positive display, it is very legible. And it has enough heft to shake the feeling of a plastic watch.

But, there is another route to look into. There is a (I think?) German company LAD Weather that makes really affordable solar, atomic, GPS watches. Of what I recall, they actually got decent reviews. They are obviously Germasian and manufactured in China or something. So you and/or your friend would need to do some additional research.

(And, of course, some of their marketing gets lost in translation.)

·
Vendor
27,727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
My personal choice is a King G-Shock - GXW56. It's huge. It's solar. It's huge. It's atomic. It's huge. It's probably pretty indestructible with the additional shock absorbing doodads.

Seriously, it's not overburdened with features. It is very straightforward and easy to use. While it is huge, I feel like that's an advantage. As long as you stick to the positive display, it is very legible. And it has enough heft to shake the feeling of a plastic watch.

But, there is another route to look into. There is a (I think?) German company LAD Weather that makes really affordable solar, atomic, GPS watches. Of what I recall, they actually got decent reviews. They are obviously Germasian and manufactured in China or something. So you and/or your friend would need to do some additional research.

Semipermanently?

Seems legit!

All new, extra strength Tapatalk, for restoring shine and that new talk smell.

Reactions: brandon\

·
Registered
1,378 Posts

Nice, I’ll have to check it out.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts