WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
41 - 60 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
717 Posts
This one was so undervalued / underrated that they discontinued it shortly after they released it. None of today's models can match the feature set of the G-7800. Aka "Super Square!"

View attachment 16117603
@Racer88 took the words out of my mouth with the G-7800, though it's a bit older than the OP's five year cutoff suggestion.

Such an amazing module, with heaps of useful features that just never got carried over to other modules for reasons I will never understand. Custom display text options (see @Racer88's signature on the pic above), multiple font options, multiple day/date display format options, adjustable display contrast (makes the negative display versions almost as good as STN), LED light alerts, hella timer presets as well as custom presets, alarms that can be set for specific days of the week, multiple stopwatches and HOURLY CHIMES THAT CAN BE SET TO A SPECIFIC HOUR RANGE (i.e., no hourly beeps in the middle of the night)!

My "ultimate G-Shock" would be a solar/atomic G-7800.

·
Registered
717 Posts
AWG-M100A-1AER
Nice AWG-M100A-1AER @Rammus! One of the very few AWG-M models with lumed indices. Casio lume isn't much to write home about, but something is better than nothing. If there was only a light for the digital displays I would still have one...

Reactions: Dxnnis and Rammus

·
Registered
4,739 Posts
@Racer88 took the words out of my mouth with the G-7800, though it's a bit older than the OP's five year cutoff suggestion.

Such an amazing module, with heaps of useful features that just never got carried over to other modules for reasons I will never understand. Custom display text options (see @Racer88's signature on the pic above), multiple font options, multiple day/date display format options, adjustable display contrast (makes the negative display versions almost as good as STN), LED light alerts, hella timer presets as well as custom presets, alarms that can be set for specific days of the week, multiple stopwatches and HOURLY CHIMES THAT CAN BE SET TO A SPECIFIC HOUR RANGE (i.e., no hourly beeps in the middle of the night)!

My "ultimate G-Shock" would be a solar/atomic G-7800.
Oh! I missed the 5 year cut-off qualifier. Yeah... it was YOU who "turned me on" to the G7800 and set me on the quest to find a NOS example.

·
Registered
Proud Casio G-SHOCK fanboy
8,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
Oh! I missed the 5 year cut-off qualifier. Yeah... it was YOU who "turned me on" to the G7800 and set me on the quest to find a NOS example.
Nah, you're good. I am looking mostly within last five years, but I did mention you can include older watches. I mentioned the Riseman which has been discontinued for years.

·
Registered
8,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
I think you can safely count 3 most popular G-Shock models. Even DW-6900 is not that popular among forum members let alone other 2 (GA100 and GA110).
I think the 6900 might be one of the most popular G-Shocks outside of our circle. But I agree; I rarely see them around here. I used to own the GW-6900. Great watch, and I hope it gets updated.

·
Registered
6,124 Posts
The now discontinued GD-350.

A bit bulky for what it does.The "wings" actually don't bother my wrist and I find they help fight unintended rotation around the wrist. Seemed to be a mixed take with the membership here. Some loved it, some hated it. This was the watch that had Cal..45 say "OK, I'm done. So long guys, outta here." No solar. No atomic sync. No Bluetooth. But I find mine does a good job of keeping time. And vibration is an alarm alert I can live with. The tones made by G-Shock watches are usually too anemic. I complained about that for years, hoping G-Shock folks lurking on the forum would take a cue... they never did. The GW-M5610 is still made and the alarm is essentially mute with just the slightest of background noise.

·
Registered
8,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·

A bit bulky for what it does.The "wings" actually don't bother my wrist and I find they help fight unintended rotation around the wrist. Seemed to be a mixed take with the membership here. Some loved it, some hated it. This was the watch that had Cal..45 say "OK, I'm done. So long guys, outta here." No solar. No atomic sync. No Bluetooth. But I find mine does a good job of keeping time. And vibration is an alarm alert I can live with. The tones made by G-Shock watches are usually too anemic. I complained about that for years, hoping G-Shock folks lurking on the forum would take a cue... they never did. The GW-M5610 is still made and the alarm is essentially mute with just the slightest of background noise.
I agree the GD-350 is highly underrated. I had one briefly; the display is fairly large. If I recall correctly, it had a shortcut to stopwatch feature (am I right on this?). The vibration alert should be standard on all G-Shocks.

·
Registered
9,174 Posts
I agree the GD-350 is highly underrated. I had one briefly; the display is fairly large. If I recall correctly, it had a shortcut to stopwatch feature (am I right on this?). The vibration alert should be standard on all G-Shocks.
It has a shortcut to a countdown timer, not stopwatch. A pretty cool watch, and the negative display version has one of the most legible neg displays on any g-shock.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Last year's AW-500 and AWM-500 revivals of the first analog G from 1989 don't seem to be all that popular, probably because of the old school case design. I think they're a nice retro alternative to the squares.
View attachment 16118812
View attachment 16118813
Here are my 2 G-Shock underrated and unloved

AWG-M100A-1AER

And G2900F
My favorite —> GA-800 with OEM Combi bracelet. View attachment 16119065
Always liked these--will probably get one but wish the time settings were a bit easier to set.

·
Registered
598 Posts

·
Registered
Samsung Gear Sport
8,892 Posts
I think the 6900 might be one of the most popular G-Shocks outside of our circle. But I agree; I rarely see them around here. I used to own the GW-6900. Great watch, and I hope it gets updated.
I am outlier. I have G6900 and about 8-9 DWs. Not much of GAs though. They not my style. As much as i love analog digitals there is too much form over function going on.
6900 has so much to it due to long run and sooooooooo many LEs and colors.
It's a fine watch in it's own retro right. Everyone including me suggesting DW5600 as essential G but if you really intend to use buttons a lot, DW6900 makes very fine choice. Plus in basic form strap is more comfortable.
I have few which i got despite some obvious shortcomings like negative screen, almost no legibility but they look right and fun to wear. Occasionally. i even have gold and negative combo and pink. Still wonder why i got them in a first place and why i kept them. May be because some times you feel like showing world a pink 6900. As polite way to say it.

I am sure now DW5600 is among 3-4 most sold Gs by numbers since so many of LEs are squares.
Watch Clock Rectangle Wrist Watch accessory

·
Registered
1,578 Posts

very true
we thought the gd-350 would be a big hit as forum members back then longed for a vibration feature (the G made before that has become collector's item and got very expensive, on top of my head, I can't remember its name 400 something)

·
Registered
5,899 Posts
I saw the full metal version in the SoHo NYC store. I don’t think anyone besides you owns them on the forums.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah it's pretty scarce around here, but I know @JustAbe owns a couple of the metal ones (United Arrows and the black dial/silver case). @Mr.Jones82 has the black dial/silver case, I believe. And @naganaga has the silver dial/silver case, which is a stunner. Someone else has been posting pics of the gold one recently, just don't remember who (it looks amazing). And @sodamonkey has the OG black resin one, which I'd like to pick up at some point.

·
Premium Member
4,528 Posts

·
Registered
6,124 Posts
very true
we thought the gd-350 would be a big hit as forum members back then longed for a vibration feature (the G made before that has become collector's item and got very expensive, on top of my head, I can't remember its name 400 something)
GW-400. Some people were really let down that the GD-350 didn't have solar or atomic sync, like the GW-400. But this was a different price point. Frankly, with that beefy CR-2032, solar is really not needed. Especially since the highest drain factor, back lighting, now enjoys much more efficient LED's in the GD-350. The only other watches at the time still in production with vibration was a certain G-Lide model, and the GB-5600 Bluetooth edition. The G-7500 had it but was discontinued. But from what I'd heard, the GD-350 has had the strongest vibration effect so far.

·
Premium Member
8,162 Posts
Yeah it's pretty scarce around here, but I know @JustAbe owns a couple of the metal ones (United Arrows and the black dial/silver case). @Mr.Jones82 has the black dial/silver case, I believe. And @naganaga has the silver dial/silver case, which is a stunner. Someone else has been posting pics of the gold one recently, just don't remember who (it looks amazing). And @sodamonkey has the OG black resin one, which I'd like to pick up at some point.
Correct. I forgot about this one. Yeah, people seemed excited about it prerelease on the forum...and then no one seemed to buy one. I think it is a great looking watch and as much as I love squares, I have to admit it wears better than the full metal squares.

41 - 60 of 96 Posts