WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
61 - 80 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
Samsung Gear Sport
8,892 Posts
Correct. I forgot about this one. Yeah, people seemed excited about it prerelease on the forum...and then no one seemed to buy one. I think it is a great looking watch and as much as I love squares, I have to admit it wears better than the full metal squares.
It's price. Metal is based on more modern internals but it's costly. Plastic is technically copy of G100 with different LCD. G100 is one of the least popular G-Shocks and in trun rethinking of... yes this one . Whole ordeal is too retro for many.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Yeah it's pretty scarce around here, but I know @JustAbe owns a couple of the metal ones (United Arrows and the black dial/silver case). @Mr.Jones82 has the black dial/silver case, I believe. And @naganaga has the silver dial/silver case, which is a stunner. Someone else has been posting pics of the gold one recently, just don't remember who (it looks amazing). And @sodamonkey has the OG black resin one, which I'd like to pick up at some point.
The black/grey dial, my silver dial, and a friend's black dial in gold case all seem fairly easily available in India. Not much discount though, nearly MSRP.

Sent from my HD1911 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Correct. I forgot about this one. Yeah, people seemed excited about it prerelease on the forum...and then no one seemed to buy one. I think it is a great looking watch and as much as I love squares, I have to admit it wears better than the full metal squares.
I feel the same way too, I like the round better than the square. The square fits better on my small wrist, but I got used to the round one in less than half an hour.

The dial and the hands are gorgeous.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Yeah it's pretty scarce around here, but I know @JustAbe owns a couple of the metal ones (United Arrows and the black dial/silver case). @Mr.Jones82 has the black dial/silver case, I believe. And @naganaga has the silver dial/silver case, which is a stunner. Someone else has been posting pics of the gold one recently, just don't remember who (it looks amazing). And @sodamonkey has the OG black resin one, which I'd like to pick up at some point.
I had a tough time deciding between the silver dial and black/grey dial in the steel case. They are both gorgeous, with the dark dial offering excellent contrast, but the silver dial looking superb in sunlight as well as bright indoors.

I went for the silver dial only because of its very different vibe.

·
Premium Member
8,159 Posts
I feel the same way too, I like the round better than the square. The square fits better on my small wrist, but I got used to the round one in less than half an hour.

The dial and the hands are gorgeous.

I prefer the square design overall, but the awm admittedly wears better. It is just more balanced on wrist because of the lugs.

·
Premium Member
8,159 Posts
I had a tough time deciding between the silver dial and black/grey dial in the steel case. They are both gorgeous, with the dark dial offering excellent contrast, but the silver dial looking superb in sunlight as well as bright indoors.

I went for the silver dial only because of its very different vibe.

I think most prefer the silver. My AD keot trying to push it on me, too 😄

·
Registered
6,211 Posts
The Casio G-Shock MTG-520 with the blue dial

This watch appeared for 3 months at Walmarts around 2005-2006 and then it was gone. It was being sold for $39.99. What made this watch so nice was it was reasonably slim, was metal and resin and analog/digital so it could be worn with dress clothes. It also had a neon illuminator which was very impressive in person. I had two of them (I still have one of them).

Here are some web pics as i don't want to dig mine out for a pic

Watch Analog watch Rectangle Everyday carry Clock
Watch Analog watch Clock Watch accessory Measuring instrument

Also I think the G-2310 and GW-2310 have fallen by the wayside as the DW/GW-6900 and squares are more popular

Finally the GA800 does not get as much love as it should. If this watch were atomic and solar, I think it would be super popular as it is a good size, the watch has one of the most crisp digital displays out there.

·
Registered
Samsung Gear S3 Frontier - Casio G-Shock GW-9200 Riseman
2,138 Posts
What are your favorite G-Shocks that aren’t too popular or are underrated in our community? It could also just be a color way that isn’t seen often.

I like mostly squares such as the GW-5000 — which I reckon are fairly popular among us — but I’m curious about some under the radar favorites, maybe within last five years or older if you’d like. Photos, of course, are welcome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Funny you would ask this since I was just thinking about this recently and was gonna make a thread about it 😅

1. G-7900-1 - The 7900 was popular for a few years but not this particular colorway. Most people here complained about the big red button on the lower right 🙄. I think that's what makes it stand out from the other colorways. Most preferred the other colorways (white with blue buttons, olive green, and bright red) and the atomic solar GW-7900B (which was infamous for it's fake screws falling off.)

Watch Clock Watch accessory Measuring instrument Analog watch

2. G-5600E - The non-atomic counterpart of the GW-M5610 which is shunned and ignored by most in this forum, only because it lacked the atomic sync 🙄. Imho, this shouldn't be a deal-breaker for people who live in countries that are too far from the radio towers who could barely get a proper sync anyways. This particular model looks the closest to the quintessential DW-5600E. I actually prefer it's less cluttered look to the GW-M5610.

Watch Communication Device Gadget Clock Portable communications device

3. GW-9200-1 Riseman - People tend to forget that this was the first Multi-Band 6 G-Shock ever in 2008. It's also one of the slimmest G-Shocks with a ton of features which you won't find in G-Shocks that time. Like the G-7900, people here did not like the big red button on the right, and also the red eye in the watch face for the barometer reading. I think this model is severely underrated for its feature set back in 2008.

Watch Clock Flash photography Watch accessory Analog watch

4. GW-200Z - The Final Frogman. The particular 200 model that most here in WUS shunned away from. Dunno if it's because of the "basic" colorway which is reminiscent to the original Frogman, or because it came in a standard cardboard box used by cheaper G-Shock models, or because it wasn't as in demand due to the non-exclusive release it had (it was still made in Japan but it was not a JDM only model). Or maybe a mix of all those reasons. Whatever it was, this model didn't get too much love or any hype when it came out. To be fair, I think the GW-200 series in general was underrated compared to the 1000 series that came after it.

Watch Analog watch Clock Watch accessory Camera accessory

5. DW-6900-1V - Being one of the most used G-Shocks by many professionals, you'd expect this particular model to be more popular in this forum. But unfortunately, it isn't. How many pics of this watch have we seen in the daily WRUWs? You can count em on each hand. This is unusual since this watch is used by professional divers, policemen, military personnel, security guards, astronauts, etc. People in this forum seem to have fallen in love with the squares, they've forgotten the "other" quintessential G, the 6900-1V.

Watch Clock Gadget Analog watch Watch accessory

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
G100. I even been told here " so it's not fake.."
Cool little watch with simple set up similar to Casio AMW 320 and yes it's old as fossilized mammoth turd but brings joy to me while i wear it. Bigger digits work marvels.
Wish Casio would of updated it. But they replaced it with 800 model more or less. It's bigger though.
Have next best thing on a way to me.
I think the one major gripe for this particular model was it's unidirectional time setting. You can't set the time backwards, which means you'd have to wait until the hour hands spin across all 12 hours to set the time again perfectly. And what makes it more agonizing is you can only move the watch hands BY THE MINUTE 🤦‍♂️. What a cumbersome way to set the time.

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
Last year's AW-500 and AWM-500 revivals of the first analog G from 1989 don't seem to be all that popular, probably because of the old school case design. I think they're a nice retro alternative to the squares.
View attachment 16118812
View attachment 16118813
Did this get an international release? Oddly enough, I never saw this sold at my local G-Shock AD.

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
I forgot about the Gulfman. I always wanted to try that one out. One old favorite I never got a chance to own is the Riseman.

I may hunt for one in good condition. Image from the Google (Bike radar).

Best part about the Gulfman is Casio still produces them. But I guess you already know this 😁 Good luck on your hunt 👍 Hope you find a mint or NOS Riseman.

·
Registered
4,739 Posts
Best part about the Gulfman is Casio still produces them. But I guess you already know this 😁 Good luck on your hunt 👍 Hope you find a mint or NOS Riseman.
Yep... I think the current production is all JDM references, though. Mine is a GW-9110-1JF.

·
Registered
Samsung Gear Sport
8,892 Posts
I think the one major gripe for this particular model was it's unidirectional time setting. You can't set the time backwards, which means you'd have to wait until the hour hands spin across all 12 hours to set the time again perfectly. And what makes it more agonizing is you can only move the watch hands BY THE MINUTE 🤦‍♂️. What a cumbersome way to set the time.
It's modernized original AW500 it's very old watch. I know it's pain. still nice and very balance watch which prior to reintroduction of AW500 and AMW been the only one in G-shock line with traditional and quite legible digital part.
Surprising, how Casio outed all modern incarnations and left only older one left.

·
Registered
5,899 Posts
Did this get an international release? Oddly enough, I never saw this sold at my local G-Shock AD.
The metal ones were released in Asia and North America I believe. The resin ones only in Asia.

·
Registered
Proud Casio G-SHOCK fanboy
8,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #78 ·
The DW-5300!

Wow! I wish they still made this watch. It's pretty much the predecessor to the King.

Reactions: CasioVibe

·
Registered
256 Posts
Wow! I wish they still made this watch. It's pretty much the predecessor to the King.
You’re absolutely right! They are harder to come by nowadays, especially with its original bezel intact because of the dreaded bezel resin rot.
What is interesting about the DW-5300, it became a known fact and afterthought, when it was widely discovered, that it was mistakenly thought to be for years, in the first mission impossible movie.

The watch in question and revealed by another forum watch enthusiast was the DW-290! It can also arguably be another underrated watch but has since gained some momentum and a following, now that we know it is the original mission impossible watch! Either way, the DW-5300 is a truly underrated Casio classic

·
Registered
235 Posts
I'd have mentioned some already mentioned in this thread, but one grossly underappreciated watch is the G-9000 Mudman. (Photo not mine, obviously.)

Watch Clock Material property Font Gadget

Spec-wise it's great at handling conditions, with mud resistance, a low temperature LCD, screw-bar lugs, dual-prong strap, a well-protected crystal. But it's also very legible and comfortable.

61 - 80 of 95 Posts