WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
81 - 95 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
6,211 Posts
You’re absolutely right! They are harder to come by nowadays, especially with its original bezel intact because of the dreaded bezel resin rot.
What is interesting about the DW-5300, it became a known fact and afterthought, when it was widely discovered, that it was mistakenly thought to be for years, in the first mission impossible movie.

The watch in question and revealed by another forum watch enthusiast was the DW-290! It can also arguably be another underrated watch but has since gained some momentum and a following, now that we know it is the original mission impossible watch! Either way, the DW-5300 is a truly underrated Casio classic

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Not to mention that a lot of them fell victim to being gutted for the 901 movement. About 15 years ago, I got ahold of two great condition DW-5600C. They had perfect straps and bezels. The movements in them were junk though (the first one had a huge black circle in the middle of the display(almost like LCD burn) the other suffered a bit of a battery leak and that killed the module. I bought 2 DW-5300 that were working well with decent bands and bezels for about $40 total, robbed them of the movements and then pitched the rest (I hated the look of the DW-5300 then and still am not crazy about the look now so i have never regretted gutting them and tossing out the rest). I kept them both for a few months and then sold them (I got a good amount of money for them both)

·
Registered
256 Posts
Not to mention that a lot of them fell victim to being gutted for the 901 movement. About 15 years ago, I got ahold of two great condition DW-5600C. They had perfect straps and bezels. The movements in them were junk though (the first one had a huge black circle in the middle of the display(almost like LCD burn) the other suffered a bit of a battery leak and that killed the module. I bought 2 DW-5300 that were working well with decent bands and bezels for about $40 total, robbed them of the movements and then pitched the rest (I hated the look of the DW-5300 then and still am not crazy about the look now so i have never regretted gutting them and tossing out the rest). I kept them both for a few months and then sold them (I got a good amount of money for them both)
Interesting about the 901 movement use. If In the future 🪄 you do happened to gut them out again, send them my way I’ll gladly pay for shipping

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,708 Posts
The now discontinued GD-350.

A bit bulky for what it does.The "wings" actually don't bother my wrist and I find they help fight unintended rotation around the wrist. Seemed to be a mixed take with the membership here. Some loved it, some hated it. This was the watch that had Cal..45 say "OK, I'm done. So long guys, outta here." No solar. No atomic sync. No Bluetooth. But I find mine does a good job of keeping time. And vibration is an alarm alert I can live with. The tones made by G-Shock watches are usually too anemic. I complained about that for years, hoping G-Shock folks lurking on the forum would take a cue... they never did. The GW-M5610 is still made and the alarm is essentially mute with just the slightest of background noise.
there def. were some that picked at the guards and the lack of solar but those ppl do the same with any model. generally it was well received here and quite popular here. over 360 at last count (obv. that amount would change over time along with many no having added theirs to the list)

·
Registered
8,708 Posts
Maybe not underrated, but I never got why Mudmaster is so much more popular in WIS crowd compared to Gulfmaster. Or why both of those mentioned are more popular than comparable Protrek 7000
prob cos the gwg has more of a G look than the gwn. the gwn (as with the 7000) has a manhole cover bezel which can take some getting used to. it was one of the main reasons i held off on the gwn for so long, just couldnt get past it but now i dont mind it at all, same with the 7000. all Gs are more popular than their protrek counterpart, usually for the look but what i dont get is those that want smaller, less cluttered Gs never bother with seemingly perfect protreks 🤷‍♂️

·
Registered
Samsung Gear S3 Frontier - Casio G-Shock GW-9200 Riseman
2,138 Posts
Speaking of the Gulfman, it was one of the cheapest "Masters of G" (along with the G-9000 Mudman). Also, it was the cheapest Titanium G. Screws, buckle, case back, etc. were all made of titanium.

Many WUS members weren't fond of it due to it's relatively smaller size and no atomic solar.

Camera accessory Gadget Clock Font Auto part

Reactions: Ottovonn

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
I'd have mentioned some already mentioned in this thread, but one grossly underappreciated watch is the G-9000 Mudman. (Photo not mine, obviously.)

View attachment 16121713

Spec-wise it's great at handling conditions, with mud resistance, a low temperature LCD, screw-bar lugs, dual-prong strap, a well-protected crystal. But it's also very legible and comfortable.
What I didn't realize 'til I got mine is how small and light they are. One of the most comfortable G-Shocks there ever was.

·
Registered
598 Posts
I'd have mentioned some already mentioned in this thread, but one grossly underappreciated watch is the G-9000 Mudman. (Photo not mine, obviously.)

View attachment 16121713

Spec-wise it's great at handling conditions, with mud resistance, a low temperature LCD, screw-bar lugs, dual-prong strap, a well-protected crystal. But it's also very legible and comfortable.
Got one of these not too long ago--it is a nice watch.

·
Registered
6,123 Posts
The GW-9100 scored well in the looks department, but a lot of folks were really miffed that there wasn't any tidal info. This was functionality pioneered 10 years prior. They didn't have to write new code for it.

But in a way I'm glad that the GW-9100 didn't come with a tide function that would clutter the display. Firstly, the tide function on CASIO watches is never exact and can be off quite a bit, especially when you're in areas where there's a lot of variation on the sea bed height. Secondly, a smart phone is so easy to use with an app that'll provide tremendous data well beyond the watch capability. With multi-alarms, one can simply preset the low and high tide times for the day in the alarm fields. DONE.

·
Registered
63 Posts
The GW-9100 scored well in the looks department, but a lot of folks were really miffed that there wasn't any tidal info. This was functionality pioneered 10 years prior. They didn't have to write new code for it.

But in a way I'm glad that the GW-9100 didn't come with a tide function that would clutter the display. Firstly, the tide function on CASIO watches is never exact and can be off quite a bit, especially when you're in areas where there's a lot of variation on the sea bed height. Secondly, a smart phone is so easy to use with an app that'll provide tremendous data well beyond the watch capability. With multi-alarms, one can simply preset the low and high tide times for the day in the alarm fields. DONE.
I love it... My first real G.. She is beat up, but works top notch..

·
Registered
4,739 Posts

While I have absolutely no use for tidal information, I think the tide graph on the 9110 (Gulfman) adds esthetically to the LCD display.

Watch Clock Watch accessory Font Rectangle

·
Registered
Samsung Gear Sport
8,892 Posts
While I have absolutely no use for tidal information, I think the tide graph on the 9110 (Gulfman) adds esthetically to the LCD display.

View attachment 16128320
Seem like GW7900 with different bezel insert and no central button. I like 7900 it does look good but tide is pure decoration.
Watch Clock Font Gadget Watch accessory

·
Registered
6,123 Posts
Seem like GW7900 with different bezel insert and no central button. I like 7900 it does look good but tide is pure decoration.
View attachment 16129089
Good catch. I'd not noticed that. Such a significant similarity. They do have different module numbers (GW7900 is 3194, GW9110 is 3217), but I'll bet anything that's for cosmetic reasons.

The tide/moon info in this case does look pretty nice with the rest of the watch aesthetic, but I do feel it clutters up a bit. Would be worthwhile if the tide was usable data here. At least the moon is useful.

·
Registered
8,310 Posts
Good catch. I'd not noticed that. Such a significant similarity. They do have different module numbers (GW7900 is 3194, GW9110 is 3217), but I'll bet anything that's for cosmetic reasons.

The tide/moon info in this case does look pretty nice with the rest of the watch aesthetic, but I do feel it clutters up a bit. Would be worthwhile if the tide was usable data here. At least the moon is useful.
Since the GW-7900 and GW-9110 have different numbers of buttons — 5 compared to 4 — the modules cannot be the same.

·
Registered
Samsung Gear Sport
8,892 Posts
Since the GW-7900 and GW-9110 have different numbers of buttons — 5 compared to 4 — the modules cannot be the same.
They can. I seen same on Timex. Button contacts are there for a front button but it reprogrammed for 4 button configuration. It won't be surprising if this is the case. LCD is sure same apart from cosmetic coloring and external decorations and function vise it's 1:1 same watch ( i think).

5 button is a huge bonus. I have 7900 and though it's borderline huge for me it's very solid watch.
May be Casio wanted to reduce number of holes going through the case or just differentiate these two...
Only Casio marketing and engineering know details.
It also seem like shroud of gulfman covers some area of solar panel while on 7900 it's all open for tanning session.
Not really picking on Casio for getting two models instead of one. Fair play in the business. Both look distinctive enough to have their customers.

·
Registered
8,310 Posts
They can. I seen same on Timex. Button contacts are there for a front button but it reprogrammed for 4 button configuration. It won't be surprising if this is the case. LCD is sure same apart from cosmetic coloring and external decorations and function vise it's 1:1 same watch ( i think).

5 button is a huge bonus. I have 7900 and though it's borderline huge for me it's very solid watch.
May be Casio wanted to reduce number of holes going through the case or just differentiate these two...
Only Casio marketing and engineering know details.
It also seem like shroud of gulfman covers some area of solar panel while on 7900 it's all open for tanning session.
Not really picking on Casio for getting two models instead of one. Fair play in the business. Both look distinctive enough to have their customers.
I was referring to the statement by @xevious about the module numbers being different between the GW-7900 and the GW-9110. In my experience, Casio uses a different module number when the behavior of the module is different. One model has a 5-button interface, while the other has a 4-button interface, and this is a major difference in behavior, which is at least one reason why the two models have different module numbers.

81 - 95 of 95 Posts