WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Super happy to have picked up a Hamilton Pilot Pioneer Chrono quartz the other evening. As I was admiring the case I thought something odd about the lines on the 3 o'clock side of the case. It looked like the lines along the side where it is brushed, do not form a smooth curve along the side of the case where the brushed part of the case meets the polished part on the top and bottom parts of the case. I thought it might have been the lighting so I waited the next day and the lines are definitely a bit off. I tried not to let it bother me but it just became more obvious so I compared it to another one and it was definitely much worse.

It seems the finishing on this has been done quite poorly. I know my lack of proper terminology or explanation won't help much so I have added some pics.

I'm not yet sure if I can replace it, this was on sale and was the last one at the store I bought it from and generally watches are non refundable or returnable once purchased here anyway. I will try tomorrow to see if the shop can get a replacement from another branch. My other option would be to send it in for a case replacement or polish. Due to the area being around a curve, I'm not sure if a jeweler can fix this with a polish without affecting the other parts of the watch.

Here is another view from the top to show how little space there is between the side and the bezel of the watch

Quite odd. I did not notice it immediately as I was fixated on the wobbly chronograph seconds hand when checking it at the store.

Does anyone happen to know if something like this can be polished easily? I've never encountered anything like this before. It may be due to the case shape or the area that makes it difficult to polish but it's definitely a qc issue in my book.

·
Premium Member
2,695 Posts
It certainly seems noticeable in the photos. I guess it may come down to can you live with it, and what the options are when you contact the seller.

In addition, you may want to reach out to Hamilton directly through the website to get their opinion / thoughts on it.

·
Registered
9,929 Posts
Does anyone happen to know if something like this can be polished easily? I've never encountered anything like this before. It may be due to the case shape or the area that makes it difficult to polish but it's definitely a qc issue in my book.
Ouch. That really looks like very sloppy machining, long before the finishing. Unfortunately, that's just not an easy polishing job. In order to smoothen that out, you'd actually have to remove metal much deeper than a surface treatment would do. :(

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
What your staturory rights in this situation depends on where in the world you are. Your flag says HK and I've no idea what they are there I'm afraid.

Regardless of whether it's sold as a clearance, discount, end-of-line or whatever, if that was sold as a new watch (UK) you would get your money back, as it's obviously not a new watch. I am sure consumer lego in HK extends to making sure retailers don't sell used or damaged goods as new, so I would take it back as faulty. A new Pioneer does not look like that!

·
Premium Member
40,912 Posts
Wow. That looks terrible, and I certainly wouldn't be happy keeping that.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Thanks for the quick replies. How can you guys tell it's been refinished rather than a qc fail?

I've looked at the other watches in this line, the same model and all, it seems this side of the watch doesn't have a very smooth line anyway.

Here's another sample of another one I took a picture of earlier. The wrapping and the lighting distort it a bit but the lines are cleaner than on mine
Hand Hood Eyewear Gesture Finger

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
If it was sold as new, I'd return it for a refund and not do business with that retailer again.

·
Premium Member
39,041 Posts
Very poor job. I too would first try to get it returned, and it that does not work, might consider talking to a good local jeweler to see if they can correct it?

Good luck.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Assuming it was sold and acknowledged as used, I'm all for scratches, dings, dents, wear and tear, and the usual sorts of things that individuate a watch and give it a life story, but that would be too much for me, personally. The structural and design aesthetic seems irreversibly altered and imbalanced. Wishing you luck in having it repaired or replaced!

·
Premium Member
9,775 Posts
It sounds like the finishing issue could be the least of your problems if it has a wobbly chronograph seconds hand. I would consider returning it you can. Or take it to a local jeweller to see if he can remedy the wobbly hand and rebuff the bezel to your satisfaction.

·
Registered
9,787 Posts
Not good. You bought it with a wobbly chronograph hand?

Not sure what to tell you other than try to get your money back, or at worse, maybe store credit.

·
Registered
2,895 Posts
Wow that is really bad. Doubt it is a QC error. Looks heavily/overly polished. Sorry OP. Try to get your money back. That is BAD.

Sent from my BBB100-1 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Yuli

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks everyone for the input. I took it to the service center earlier after lunch today to have it looked at. In the 20 minutes I was waiting for them to come back out with the watch, I almost gave myself a stroke thinking of the worst case scenario, that they would accuse me of causing damage and void the warranty. Thankfully this was all in my head (thanks to you lot), and they acknowledged the issue, called it a deformity and told me they would be sourcing a new case for the watch.
If they suspected at all it was caused by a poor third party attempt at a polish, they did not show it. Maybe they took into account the three days I've owned it or maybe they felt bad for me, pacing around the waiting area drinking almost two gallons of water from the dispenser as I waited. I've had a watch serviced here in the past come back with scratches and they guy I was dealing with was quick to point out I could have caused them myself and not noticed. It's good to get the benefit of the doubt this time around.

As for the wobbly chronograph seconds hand, it seems pretty normal, I've seen it before in some other quartz movements. I checked again at the store looking at the same models and they did exhibit the same thing, although at a lesser extent. A little bit of play, it moves a bit in the direction which the case is facing when tilted. Funny thing is that I had a tissot quartz some years ago with the same movement and I did not noticed any wobble or play in the large chrono seconds hand.

Anyway, I'm glad this is dealt with. This is the second new watch I've bought in as many months that's needed a visit to the service center shortly after purchase. I hope now I can just enjoy these watches without further issues.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts