WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Noted over at Watchville. They're posted over on UniformWares.com. 37 and 40mm sizes, no dates showing but that's just as well, cuz they're using a SMALL movement. F03.401. 17.2mm. With ETA F-series, the number before the dot relates to size. ETA web site does show this as a PreciDrive movement, so supposed to be good to QCOSC, 25 SPY.

Also, it turns out that ETA is phasing out ALL the existing basic Precidrive movements. They came out with what they call Heavydrive, which is a feature relating to handling hand weights and shocks and whatnot. There's a blurb from ETA online. But all the .401 (3 hand, no date) and 411 (3 hand, date) movements are being replaced with 402/412s with the Heavydrive.

In addition, there's a 42mm chronograph with a 251.474 variant. They don't note the variant but do claim 10 SPY.

·
Registered
3,146 Posts
A nice set of watches for folks with smaller wrists. The lug less design means they will wear even smaller. Noticed they quoted 10 spy for every model, not sure about them meeting that spec, but for me it is kind of irrelevant.

The watch is too small and won't fit me, the max size wrist it will fit is 7 1/4." In addition the smaller movemnt, particularly on the chronograpgh, moves the date window towards the center of the dial, to me it just looks wrong.

Just guessing here but these smaller movements are probably cheaper and designed for woman's watches, and would look better in smaller case sizes.

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
Noted over at Watchville. They're posted over on UniformWares.com. 37 and 40mm sizes, no dates showing but that's just as well, cuz they're using a SMALL movement. F03.401. 17.2mm. With ETA F-series, the number before the dot relates to size. ETA web site does show this as a PreciDrive movement, so supposed to be good to QCOSC, 25 SPY.

Also, it turns out that ETA is phasing out ALL the existing basic Precidrive movements. They came out with what they call Heavydrive, which is a feature relating to handling hand weights and shocks and whatnot. There's a blurb from ETA online. But all the .401 (3 hand, no date) and 411 (3 hand, date) movements are being replaced with 402/412s with the Heavydrive.

In addition, there's a 42mm chronograph with a 251.474 variant. They don't note the variant but do claim 10 SPY.
All the 3-hand movements are without an independently-adjustable hour hand, so for me they're useless as HAQs.

The chrono, however does have IAHH and I could be interested in this one. The three sub-dials look a bit weird, being tightly jammed together. Price is a bit steep at £800, which makes the Certina DS-2 continue to look like excellent value.

Still no perpetual calendar for the PreciDrives. And, of course, no end-user regulation.

·
Registered
3,146 Posts
Well if the movement is the thing, and small and light are important, than the Longines Conquest at 36mm uses the 251.474 za varient. Subdial and date look more appropriate. Costs a little less too. Pretty confident that the Certina DS Action (the non-diver) version in titanium will be lighter and just a little bigger but not much.

Not sure how well the 251.474 will perform, but based on the performance of all those F series watches here over the last couple of years, the odds of these watches hitting 10 spy are pretty slim.

But like any watch; size, looks and performance are important. They definately are a different style, and an option for folks with smaller wrists.

Strangely enough, over on the Public Forum a recent thread "I'll fix that for you" is about watches where it is obvious that based on the subdials and or date the movement is too small for the case. These will fit in over there nicely.

·
Premium Member
9,463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I rather suspect they are available fairly cheap...between the small size and the fact they're being phased out.

Good point that they'll wear smaller, being lugless.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts