WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
990 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found an Arnex hunter case pocket watch with a broken lid that has a great running Unitas 6498 movement. I was thinking about making a wrist watch out of it.
arnex1.jpg
arnex2.jpg

I was reading a post on the issues someone had with the older version of the 6498 fitting into the new wrist watch cases (I read that many of the new cases are made for 6498-1s). I saw some cases that said they were for Unitas 6498, and others that said they were for 6498-1. My movement also "Y3". I tried to find out information on when it may have been made and was hoping the Y3 may offer a clue, but the only thing I found was another pocket watch that was a Y3 and the seller said it was from 1992.

Any thoughts or advice on where to get a good case and dial? Is this movement worth the cost of making a watch out of it? Any other issues that folks may have had would also be appreciated.

Regards,
Ron

·
Premium Member
6,609 Posts
... Is this movement worth the cost of making a watch out of it? Any other issues that folks may have had would also be appreciated.
Sadly, you can buy a brand new ETA 6498 for roughly the same amount as it would cost to service your movement, and it probably needs a service. So I don't think you should be thinking about this in economic terms. If the idea of salvaging the movement is appealing to you for other reasons, then by all means you should go ahead and do it.

·
Registered
303 Posts
The ETA/Unitas 6497/6498's are a very common movement (almost legendary) and have been around a while now, their difference in reference is merely the positioning of the small seconds, either at the 6 mark for 6498 or 9 for 6497. Movement size is identical so case fitment shouldn't be an issue but obviously dial layout will need to be ref correct.

As for being noteworthy Panerai used slightly modified 6497's in all of their base models so they are more than worthy of being used in a custom build.
You will also be surprised with the available choice of different dials, hands and cases available for this movement. Just keep your eyes on a certain well known auction site as well as common watch part suppliers.
I did a custom build with a 6497 from a Portuguese pocketwatch and loved every second. I wouldn't worry too much about servicing this movement as they are slow beat and pretty bulletproof. As long as the timekeeping is consistent i'd press on. Mine has never had a known service but it still has reasonable amplitude and minimal beat error. ( It must be over 30yrs+ old as well!)
I use it as my beater so as long as it keep acceptable time +/- 30 s/d which it does, then i'm not that concerned.

I say go for it.

& I hope you find the whole process as enjoyable, educating and exciting as i did. :)

Good luck.

·
Zenith Forum Co-moderator
17,881 Posts
I'd be inclined to see whether the case can be repaired. It might be cheaper than finding a new case. But then, I'm the sort of person who would wear and use a pocket watch and others maybe would not. Also, the dial looks a little dandy but personally, I've seen worse. All in all, a matter of taste, I suppose.....

Hartmut Richter

·
Registered
990 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Dan, I'm not worrying about service to the movement.. I can do the service myself. At the moment it's running strong.

Hartmut, I think the case is just some type of crappy white metal. Not sure it can be fixed.

I guess my Plan B would be to sell it as is and let someone else make a project out of it. :)

Ron

·
Registered
990 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
All in the timing, thanks for your input. I was aware of the difference between the 6498 and 6497, but is there a difference in the 6498 and 6498-1?

·
17,881 Posts
The difference between the Unitas 6497/6498 and 6497-1/6498-1 versions was a slightly more refined adjustment system on the balance cock. The difference between these and the 6497-2/6498-2 versions was the bumping up of the beat rate from 2.5 Hz (18000 A/h) to 3 Hz (21600 A/h). They have all become the ETA 6497-2/6498-2 calibres by now anyway.....

bidfun-db Archiv: Uhrwerke: Unitas 6498

bidfun-db Archiv: Uhrwerke: Unitas 6498-1

Hartmut Richter

·
Registered
129 Posts
RonD, I just completed a Unitas 6498S pocket watch to wristwatch conversion, I used the Ofrei #11 case as mentioned abov, it is 41 mm diameter and high quality.

i serviced it myself, and got the beat error down to 0.1mS and the rate depending on position between 5-8 secs/day.

Attachments

·
Registered
990 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Just in today!

Well I got the case, hands, and dial from an Ebay seller called "b_line55cc" today and put the watch together. I have to say the quality is outstanding and I really like the finished product!

Here is the view from the front:
arnex4.jpg

And the back:
arnex3.jpg

And the sexy wrist shot!
arnex5.jpg

arnex6.jpg

The case is 44mm in diameter. The case came with the typical "pilot" crown, you know, the huge diamond shaped one. I really am not a fan of that crown so I asked the seller to swap it out with a normal crown, and he responded by saying that he'll add the normal crown to the lot so I could decide which one I wanted to use! I tried them both on the watch and still like the smaller one better.

Anyway, I know some said to see if I could get the old case fixed, but I have hundreds of pocket watches, and at least this way I know I'll wear it more as a wrist watch.

Ron

·
Registered
990 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That's really cool! I was going for more of a flieger look. I'm pretty happy with the end result of mine (see pics I just posted), although it would be nice if it was a little smaller. :) Ron

·
Registered
129 Posts
Looks great RonD! I am considering buying that same case from that Swiss supplier as well, good to know the quality is high. I don't have a pilot style watch, so that's next on my list.

·
Registered
990 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Bluesguitarplayer56, It took me a few days of playing with the regulator (push it one direction and it gains 15 seconds a day, push it the other direction and it loses 15 seconds a day) but I got it to the point where it only gains 1 second a day! Well, at least that's the way it has been for the last week. Not bad! lol

·
Registered
846 Posts
Hi!

Most of these wristwatch cases are made for the Chinese 6497/98-clones, so the problems mounting an original ETA/Unitas should be caused by a difference between the originals and the clones, not in a difference between the ETA/Unitas 1 or 2 version.
Great watches here to see, I love especially those B-Uhr hommages!
I own just a clone-version but think about replacing it by an ETA/Unitas some day.

Flieger Seagull Unitas 6497.jpg

Flieger wsc.jpg

·
17,881 Posts
Very nice, but that trace looks a little wobbly. Plus individual beats are horribly out of line. Is it a new movement?

Hartmut Richter

·
Registered
162 Posts
Very nice, but that trace looks a little wobbly. Plus individual beats are horribly out of line. Is it a new movement?

Hartmut Richter
It's an old movement but it's also not on a proper Timegrapher. It's an app that uses the microphone on your iPhone and it's not super precise. There also was some ambient noise causing the trace to appear wonky. I used the app on my recently Nesbit serviced speedmaster and the trace was similar. The app definitely got me within the ballpark and only cost $13. Saved me a few nights of fussing with micro adjustments too. I've been wearing the watch two weeks now and it's been really solid.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts