WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello and Happy new year to everyone!

I am looking for informations about this watch, and i would be very happy if you can help me with anything. The info is not great on the net and i didn't find this kind of black dial elsewhere.

I bought it a year ago, and it was like this:

Then i send it for service, and it looks like this:

The movement was cleaned, a new crystal installed, the case was polished, a second hand for chronograph was manufactured and another crown was installed (still looking for an original one). New strap UG on the way, looking for a 14mm buckle.

Here are two vids:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=enTvn27SaHw&feature=g-upl&context=G205c9eeAUAAAAAAABAA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8FMoeBKHz0&feature=context&context=G205c9eeAUAAAAAAABAA

Happy new year! And if you can provide any info, please do!

·
Zenith Forum Co-moderator
17,982 Posts
Happy New Year to you too! That's a wonderful watch - although the starting condition was already fairly good for a watch of that age. Here's some info on the movement:

bidfun-db Archiv: Uhrwerke: Universal 287 Aero Compax

As far as I know, Universal patented the first chronograph with additional 12-hour indication in 1937. Since the watch lacks shock proofing, I would estimate it's production as falling between 1937 and ca. 1950.

Hartmut Richter

·
Registered
2,759 Posts
Fonrea, there should be two numbers on the outside of the caseback. The longer of the two is the serial number, which can give you a date of production, and the shorter is the reference number. If you find them, I will see if I can find any addition info in my UG book.

Your videos appear not to be viewable by the general public.

·
Registered
2,759 Posts
On the case back it is written: 826xxx and then 22414

Thank you!
Date of production is 1941. This reference is pictured in the Pietro Sala book with slightly different hands and a dial with numbers instead of hashmarks at the hours. As there were minor variations even within a reference and UG used sword hands quite widely, I think your watch is quite correct. Congratulations!

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Date of production is 1941. This reference is pictured in the Pietro Sala book with slightly different hands and a dial with numbers instead of hashmarks at the hours. As there were minor variations even within a reference and UG used sword hands quite widely, I think your watch is quite correct. Congratulations!
Thank you!
I ordered today a Pietro Sala book myself and i think i will get a NOS crown and maybe pushers, so i hope in a month or two i will have it complete even with a strap and buckle.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hi,
I found a beautiful Universal Geneve Aero-Compax, but it's movement is Universal 285? It is signed, but I cant find another Aero-Compax with 285 movement and I don't have a Pietro Sala book. Can one of you see if an Aero-Compax was ever made with a 285 movement? It looks very similar to this watch:
Auctiva Image Hosting

If you can find one with 285, what would it be worth in your estimation?
Thanks!!!
Jay

·
Zenith Forum Co-moderator
17,982 Posts
The main difference between the Cal. 285 and 287 is size: the 285 is 14''' (about 32mm) whereas the 287 is 15''' (about 34mm) across. The "Aero Compax" watches are noted for having a second time zone at 12:00 so if someone advertises a watch without that as an "Aero Compax", it is probably just a "Compax" model. Judging by your link, it seems as if the Cal. 285 also came in an "Aero Compax" version.....

As for value, we don't give valuations on this forum - the guidelines will tell you why.

Hartmut Richter

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hi there,,

Only the chap who cobbled a movement from the 40s and a case from the 60s together. A real time machine.

Regards, Roland Ranfft
Thanks! So is the 285 movement not possible in an aero-compax? I'm not worried about the case, but the movement and dial are suspicious to me. ?
Thanks!
Jay

·
Registered
3,814 Posts
Hi Jay,

I have presently no reliable information whether the dual-time feature was also realized on the 285. From technical point of view it is no problem, since the 285 and 287 have only different base plate diameters. And as the case of this mariage would not take a 287, and its accordingly bigger dial, the 285 was likely also realized as Aero-Compax. Moreover watch butchers don't do the effort to screw the dual-time parts from one movement to another, and produce an (artificially aged) dial with the right size.

However, nothing is impossible, and reliable informations can likely only be obtained from Universal.

Regards, Roland Ranfft

·
Registered
22 Posts
Guys, another quick question on the Universal aero-compax. What is the bottom chronograph function supposed to do? 12-hour register?
As previously mentioned, I found a watch that looks like this http://i.ebayimg.com/t/UNIVERSAL-GENEVE-Circa-1944-Vintage-Aero-Compax-Stainless-Steel-Ref-22289-/00/s/MTYwMFgxNDgx/$%28KGrHqRHJE8E-vUM27SJBPvnmdNvuQ~~60_57.JPG
It has a crown on both sides, but the top register and bottom registers (12 and 6) don't seem to move. do you know what they are for?
Perhaps I am not giving the watch enough time if the 6 o'clock register is a 12-hour register, and the top register I read might be a "memento" register and does not move?
Thanks for your help!
-Jay

·
Registered
18,163 Posts
Guys, another quick question on the Universal aero-compax. What is the bottom chronograph function supposed to do? 12-hour register?
As previously mentioned, I found a watch that looks like this http://i.ebayimg.com/t/UNIVERSAL-GENEVE-Circa-1944-Vintage-Aero-Compax-Stainless-Steel-Ref-22289-/00/s/MTYwMFgxNDgx/$%28KGrHqRHJE8E-vUM27SJBPvnmdNvuQ~~60_57.JPG
It has a crown on both sides, but the top register and bottom registers (12 and 6) don't seem to move. do you know what they are for?
Perhaps I am not giving the watch enough time if the 6 o'clock register is a 12-hour register, and the top register I read might be a "memento" register and does not move?
Thanks for your help!
-Jay
If I read Dr. Ranfft's notes correctly, the top dial is a separate 'watch' (dual timer). The bottom register is chronograph hours.

The fact that they do not move is a clear indication of a problem with the movement.

·
Registered
4,439 Posts
Thanks for your help!
-Jay
The left crown is to set the time in the top register, which can be used as a second time zone. That could be useful for Pilots, hence the name 'aero-compax'.

universalaerocompax.jpg

So it is not just a 'memento': the top register should be keeping time as well. But I'm not sure how the top register should be wound: I guess with the left crown? Try turning the watch upside down, so you can wind the left crown in the same way you would wind the right crown.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts