WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

Received my recent acquisition - UG Uni-compax vintage. Loving it, one problem is the crown. Rose gold case with yellow gold crown (not original). What to do in this situation? replace with a RG plated crown?
Can the crown be replaced without messing with the stem?
Any reliable source for parts?

Picture showing the case and crown (Poor quality):
P1460998.jpg

Thanks,
-Michael.

·
Registered
990 Posts
Swapping out the crown is a simple job as long as the stem doesn't have any rust, in which case you chance it breaking. The crown just screws onto the end of the stem. I'd take it to a local watchmaker and see if he can swap it for you.

·
Premium Member
6,609 Posts
In my experience, it is generally harder to find rose gold parts than yellow gold parts, so it could take some searching. However, I greatly prefer the look of rose gold. In general, you will sometimes need to be pretty patient in looking for correct vintage replacement parts; sometimes it can take months. But in the meantime, you still have a nice watch to enjoy.

·
Banned
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ron / Dan,

Thanks, I have spotted a few on eBay. It looks simple to do the crown replacement.
Well said, It is a beautiful piece and I am enjoying it. Even though the crown looks a bit odd, its shape and size fit right in, I even checked a few of the metallic paints from Homedepot - is it a bad idea?

-Michael.

·
Premium Member
6,609 Posts
Ron / Dan,

Thanks, I have spotted a few on eBay. It looks simple to do the crown replacement.
Well said, It is a beautiful piece and I am enjoying it. Even though the crown looks a bit odd, its shape and size fit right in, I even checked a few of the metallic paints from Homedepot - is it a bad idea?

-Michael.
I'm not sure about paint, but if you get tired of looking, you can have the crown plated with rose gold by a jeweler. Probably not too expensive actually.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts