WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all, newbie to the forums.

I recently picked up an older manual wind Universal Geneve. I've been trying to find more information on this watch, but have been unsuccessful so far. The movement has the import code HOX. Also, it is a 17 jewel Universal Geneve with a movement number of 361. The movement looks similar to the universal 263, but has some differences. Since web searches haven't helped much beyond that, would anyone here have any further info?

Much appreciation,

Shawn

(Now with pics!)

Attachments

·
Registered
18,166 Posts
Pics Pics Pics, Pics Pics Pics, Pics Pics Pics, Pics Pics Pics, Pics Pics Pics, Pics Pics Pics.

Movement pics. Dial pics. Case pics.

Some of us are visual thinkers :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
The case and inside the case back have the number 2738. The outside of the case back has 1402738 and 20104. So, from the TimeZone link it looks to be 1949-1951.

Thanks for the info so far!

Is the 361 a movement that Universal Geneve had made, or is it by someone else?

·
Registered
5,372 Posts
Hi all, newbie to the forums.

I recently picked up an older manual wind Universal Geneve. I've been trying to find more information on this watch, but have been unsuccessful so far. The movement has the import code HOX. Also, it is a 17 jewel Universal Geneve with a movement number of 361. The movement looks similar to the universal 263, but has some differences. Since web searches haven't helped much beyond that, would anyone here have any further info?

Much appreciation,

Shawn

(Now with pics!)
HOX is the US import code for I.W.C. International Watch Co. However, I don't think UG ever used IWC movements. It's possible that the 361 is a movement made by UG. I haven't seen a similar movement by any other manufactures of the time.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
HOX is the US import code for I.W.C. International Watch Co. However, I don't think UG ever used IWC movements. It's possible that the 361 is a movement made by UG. I haven't seen a similar movement by any other manufactures of the time.
Thanks for the info. I'm sure there are a lot of movements that aren't listed or shown anywhere on the web yet. I'm happy I stumbled on it for $25 at the thrift store along with a Bulova US Army AAF A-11 watch. Both work and keep very decent time, although the Bulova isn't as nice in appearance.

I'm newish to collecting some of the vintage watches which started with the Bulova my father was given when he graduated HS in 1958. I'm in learning mode, and I enjoy wearing them. I'll have to post the few I have some time.

·
Registered
5,372 Posts
Thanks for the info. I'm sure there are a lot of movements that aren't listed or shown anywhere on the web yet. I'm happy I stumbled on it for $25 at the thrift store along with a Bulova US Army AAF A-11 watch. Both work and keep very decent time, although the Bulova isn't as nice in appearance.

I'm newish to collecting some of the vintage watches which started with the Bulova my father was given when he graduated HS in 1958. I'm in learning mode, and I enjoy wearing them. I'll have to post the few I have some time.
Probably the best resource on the Web for movement information is our own Herr Dr. Ranfft's Web site. Also check out the Links & Articles sub-forum for more reference sources. There are a great many vintage deals to be had with a little bit of patience and research.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Universal 361 = Angulus 56

Also, it is a 17 jewel Universal Geneve with a movement number of 361. The movement looks similar to the universal 263, but has some differences.
My Bestfit book list the Universal 361 as 10.5''' (23.5mm) and interchangeable with the Angelus 56 movement.

Any similarities with the Universal 263 movement would likely be coincidental since it is larger (12''') and not an Angelus movement.

·
Registered
2,759 Posts
While we are on the subject of UG, any of you know any resources specifically for the brand, other than the very nice polerouter.com? They needn't be on the web -- I'll take books, etc -- and they needn't be in English. I always find it frustrating researching a UG watch, because the information is secreted in dribs and drabs here in there. It is curious that there is not a little more documentation available for such a storied manufacture. Or perhaps I am just ill-informed?

·
Registered
5,372 Posts
While we are on the subject of UG, any of you know any resources specifically for the brand, other than the very nice polerouter.com? They needn't be on the web -- I'll take books, etc -- and they needn't be in English. I always find it frustrating researching a UG watch, because the information is secreted in dribs and drabs here in there. It is curious that there is not a little more documentation available for such a storied manufacture. Or perhaps I am just ill-informed?
I don't know of any specific resources. Like yourself I find my information in dribs & drabs. I than have to piece it all together.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts