WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Folks,

This is my first posting (but not my first visit) to the watchmaking forum.

I have an interesting problem. I recently acquired a nice condition Universal Geneve Unisonic watch. This watch is a tuning fork watch that uses the Bulova 218 movement. It seems that UG gussies up the movement and stamps their name on it and boom done. They also change the name to 1-53

Unlike it's Accutron brothers, this watch has a screw down crown for better water resistance.

I noticed when setting the time that the entire dial moves. I also noticed that the movement rattles about in the case when you shake the watch. Once the crown is screwed back in the movement is secure.

I opened the case back and I cannot see anything amiss with the watch. The caseback gasket is intact and looking good. The case spring (that triangle shaped metal tab at the bottom of the case being held by 2 screws) is intact. All looks good and nothing looks amiss.

Is there something I am missing? Should the top of the case spring be bent upward?

The watch does have two other issues. One issue is the crown unscrews from its stem and the other is that when you pull the crown out to set the time, the watch does not make a click and the detent seems soft. Once the time is set, it is hard to get it out of time set mode (and start the second hand). I have to wiggle the crown and then it will come out of set mode.

I suspect the crown just needs to have a small bit of loc tite and be tightened up on the stem to cure the first issue. For the second one it just seems as the crown/stem is a bit loose and a tightining of the hold down screw will fix it. I will let my watch guy handle.

I have included pics of the actual movement in my watch and a pic of the watch to sho what it all looks like

Thanks for all your help

Attachments

·
Registered
413 Posts
Sounds to me like there might be a problem with the movement spacer. It could have been installed incorrectly or someone replaced it with a non matching one that is allowing it to move inside the case. When the movement has a bit of play inside the case it makes it harder to engage the different stem positions. With that said it would makes sense that it is harder to push the crown back in as the stem would move with the movement when you go to push it in. It would only engage once the movement has something to push up against. I'd love to hear this watch does not have a movement spacer and my whole hypothesis was wrong but if it's anything like the original Accutron 218 it should have one.

·
Registered
679 Posts
I've never seen one of these movements flopping around the case. In theory the case spring may help to anchor the movement in place. The ring securing the caseback is easy to cross thread and if you do you may only get half or three quarters of a turn instead of a turn and-a-half. This extra space may allow for some wiggle.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts