WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This part fell out of my Vostok when i opened the caseback. What is it? (it looks like a broken off piece of something)
Clock Measuring instrument Font Circle Wood Rectangle Beige Fashion accessory Paper product Ceiling

·
Registered
315 Posts
That's indeed a broken off piece from the lever-shaped spring pictured here in the bottom left (not my photo):

It's part of the date mechanism and serves to instantaneously (snap) change date at midnight. The date mechanism will still work without it but the date will roll over slowly instead of "snapping" on to the next date.

·
Registered
293 Posts
And this happens when people turn the hands backwards. Never do that! :) Because if you do you need to remember which watches it is safe to do and which not. Cause this is too much for me to remember I decided never do it.
Hi Odessa200,

Can you elaborate please?
Do you mean it's not safe to use the '9-12' date change on Vostoks?

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
I be leave the spring for the date wheel complication ☹☹☹ gave up the ghost!

·
Registered
5,210 Posts
Hi Odessa200,

Can you elaborate please?
Do you mean it's not safe to use the '9-12' date change on Vostoks?
9-12 maybe safe (a Vostok expert may opine) but if you continue you may get this issue. Look how this part connects to the eccentric. If it gets a bit jammed in this position as shown it will break this spring.

·
Registered
293 Posts
9-12 maybe safe (a Vostok expert may opine) but if you continue you may get this issue. Look how this part connects to the eccentric. If it gets a bit jammed in this position as shown it will break this spring.
OK thanks, the picture does make it look like running it backwards might not be wise.
I guess I won't be using that 'feature' any more.

·
Registered
293 Posts
The date mechanism will still work without it but the date will roll over slowly instead of "snapping" on to the next date.
So, like a Seiko then? ;)

This part fell out of my Vostok when i opened the caseback. What is it? (it looks like a broken off piece of something)
View attachment 16016455 View attachment 16016456
Hi JP 1999,

lots of folk here are fixing up old vostoks, might be worth a post in the parts wanted thread?
If you can't buy the part new from one of the Russian sites, someone might have one from a donor movement.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Hey jp1999 drop me a PM and give me your address..... I will send you one Comrade.
When I first came to the F-10 I needed a part I could not find and mariomart was kind enough to send it to me so I am returning the favor.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Hey jp1999 drop me a PM and give me your address..... I will send you one Comrade.
When I first came to the F-10 I needed a part I could not find and mariomart was kind enough to send it to me so I am returning the favor.
Hello Jim, I'd better mention that the calendar cam spring you show might not work...the OP needs an older style calendar cam spring that has a built-in stabilizing stud, this stud fits into a hole on the mainplate...

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
I have only seen this type and these are the only type I have, I did not know there was a version that had a locating pin. I can send it to him if it may work...
what do you think Avidfan.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
I have only seen this type and these are the only type I have, I did not know there was a version that had a locating pin. I can send it to him if it may work...
what do you think Avidfan.
It might work if the screw is tight enough...around 2000 Vostok redesigned the mainplate and one of the things they changed was to put the locating pin on the mainplate rather than on the spring itself, all my Vostoks from the 1990's and earlier have the locating pin on the actual spring which would be correct for the OP's watch...a mid-1980's to early 1990's Zakaz Komandirskie 341201...

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Wow I had no idea. Evidently I have not had that part fail on one of my older 24XX as of yet.
A pin could be fabed and soldered in, even epoxied in so as not to take out the temper or you could glue it and screw it into place?

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
So jp1999 if you want to try this as I said just PM me and I will send it to you.
best regards, James.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Wow I had no idea. Evidently I have not had that part fail on one of my older 24XX as of yet.
A pin could be fabed and soldered in, even epoxied in so as not to take out the temper or you could glue it and screw it into place?
I'm sure a pin could be fabricated to fit, but that would be real watchmaking...

A large percentage of the vintage Vostoks I buy seem to have the cam spring broken...too much 8 to 12 and back again to quick change the calendar ;)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts