WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is their some unspoken age limit on owning a Rolex? Like no one under 20 should own one?, or no one over 60,70, or 80? Just wonderin:)

Brotherxb-)

·
Registered
222 Posts
I'm guessing that the motivator is that the styling of Rolex watches looks dated, as in back in the 1950's. This is fine, but some people may want something that looks more 'contemporary'. (I'm not knocking Rolex watches at all here, just observing the scene).

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I agree with all of you, but when i go to try on watches, the clerks look at me like I am some thief trying to "mess up" their watches somehow:-s

brotherxb-)

·
Registered
279 Posts
I agree with all of you, but when i go to try on watches, the clerks look at me like I am some thief trying to "mess up" their watches somehow:-s

brotherxb-)
I know what you mean. If I walk into a good jewelery store wearing everyday "street clothes," just generic cargo shorts and some sort of geek/nerd/IT/CS joke T-shirt, they look at me totally differently and actually treat me differently than if I walk in fresh out of work in a dress shirt and tie - even if it's the same employee at the same store!

There's a general feeling of "If you are wearing a Rolex, you either have a fake/stole it, or you are 'required' to look like you are dripping with money. For the most part, younger people don't look old enough (obviously) or don't dress/drive ritzy enough to look like they can afford one, so the only other way to get one is to have a fake or steal it. They don't even think about inheritance, or any other method.

I'd say there's definitely a sterotyping age limit on the low end, but not on the high end.

·
Registered
222 Posts

brotherxb-)
I'm sure I'd get the same treatment if I walked into a RollsRoyce dealership and asked for a test drive (in my case, it wouldn't be my age (young=not enough money), I just don't look like I'd have the money (and they'd be right) :) ).

I'm sure that if you showed them a few thousand $$ cash in your wallet, they'd warm up to you right away :).

·
Registered
8,409 Posts
I'm sure a lot of store employees get their share of "looky loos" who have no intention of buying and no money. However, retail businesses have been built on the goodwill shown to an average customer.
The same guy who had no money but was treated well came back to make a substantial purchase.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Probably right! LOL:)
maybe they will change their mind when I buy a $3,500 Brieghtling and a $8,000+ rolex.:-d Or maybe I could borrow someone's RollsRoyce keys, anyone want to let me borrow theirs??????PLEAAAAAAASE:roll:

LOL
brotherxb-)

I'm sure I'd get the same treatment if I walked into a RollsRoyce dealership and asked for a test drive (in my case, it wouldn't be my age (young=not enough money), I just don't look like I'd have the money (and they'd be right) :) ).

I'm sure that if you showed them a few thousand $$ cash in your wallet, they'd warm up to you right away :).

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I agree, I am Pretty young(-20 years) but I can afford one!
Plus some people might buy one to "look cool or rich", but I am going to buy one because I can and in 20+ years it will be worth WAY more than I paid for it and it will last practically FOREVER!!, and i am not buying one to show off, i even selected a rolesor with rose gold instead of yellow so that it wouldn't be as "flashy"(I just think Yellow is a bit to flashy for ME it might be fine on anyone else), I am just tired of people judging me!!!!o| Does anyone else get these feelings?
brotherxb-)
P.S. I suck at capitalizing my name!LOL:-!

Why should there be an age limitation on owning a watch? If you can afford one, you should buy one ;)

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm sure a lot of store employees get their share of "looky loos" who have no intention of buying and no money. However, retail businesses have been built on the goodwill shown to an average customer.
The same guy who had no money but was treated well came back to make a substantial purchase.

Agreed 100%:-!:thanks

brotherxb-)

·
3,627 Posts
In 1987, when I was a freshman in college, a buddy in the dorm had a new Rolex Seadweller. His dad bought it for him as a gift when he graduated H.S., and left the house for college.
I "knew" what he was wearing, and to be honest coveted it. I could tell he had no clue about the watch.
On the other hand, he wore the watch every day, and I could tell he loved the watch because of the famous name, the heaviness and toughness of it, and because his dad gave it to him.
What more could you ask for in a watch?
Yeah, he was only 18 but he deserved it.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Salespeople who respond to prospective customers based on their judgement of the customers' appearances have a lot to learn. There are many people of all ages and descriptions who have lots of money, but may not appear so. Retail sales is about selling, not judging. Personally, I would not shop in any store that operates in this manner. If they want to limit their sales based on snobbery, I'll be more than happy to indulge them by not patronizing their store.<|

·
Registered
891 Posts
I know what you mean. If I walk into a good jewelery store wearing everyday "street clothes," just generic cargo shorts and some sort of geek/nerd/IT/CS joke T-shirt, they look at me totally differently and actually treat me differently than if I walk in fresh out of work in a dress shirt and tie - even if it's the same employee at the same store!

There's a general feeling of "If you are wearing a Rolex, you either have a fake/stole it, or you are 'required' to look like you are dripping with money. For the most part, younger people don't look old enough (obviously) or don't dress/drive ritzy enough to look like they can afford one, so the only other way to get one is to have a fake or steal it. They don't even think about inheritance, or any other method.

I'd say there's definitely a sterotyping age limit on the low end, but not on the high end.
I am gonna say that...there is absoultely NO LIMIT!

My grandfather passed me a DJ 2 yrs ago when i was 14..juz got my Exp II recently and I am 16. =) Never believed that there was a limit. HaHA

Younger people don't look like they can afford and it is either fake or stolen...That sounds very crude and hurts me man...:roll:

·
Registered
4,178 Posts
Sorry, I misunderstood the question.

I can relate to the topicstarter's story then. I was around 20 when I started to like watches a lot. The horror I had to go through when I justed asked for a catalogue.. When I was wearing a suite occasionally (internship for example), I noticed I was treated a lot better in the watch stores.

Now, being 30 and having a modest watch collection, I just wear jeans and a polo when going to a jeweler. I am taken seriously all the time. Perhaps because of my age now, but I also think that jewelers got the point... People are getting interested in nice stuff younger and even if they don't have the money.. if you treat them right, they will come back to your store when the do have the money :)

RJ

·
Registered
279 Posts
Younger people don't look like they can afford and it is either fake or stolen...That sounds very crude and hurts me man...:roll:
I didn't mean to offend; my apologies. I merely was trying to point out from what I've seen as I'm out wearing watches and shopping for watches that it appears to me that the general clueless public feels that way.

I don't have a problem with anyone owning any type/brand of watch, just wear 'em in good health! :-!

I bet you'll find the attitude I mentioned all around you if you "watch" for it. :-d

·
Registered
891 Posts
I didn't mean to offend; my apologies. I merely was trying to point out from what I've seen as I'm out wearing watches and shopping for watches that it appears to me that the general clueless public feels that way.

I don't have a problem with anyone owning any type/brand of watch, just wear 'em in good health! :-!

I bet you'll find the attitude I mentioned all around you if you "watch" for it. :-d
It's ok..I won't take it too hard. Guess that's what the general public thinks..sigh..sad man..the misconception

·
Registered
38,530 Posts
Yep, for the most part I didn't like helping people wearing suits, I prefered
some one who was dressing down.
Salespeople who respond to prospective customers based on their judgement of the customers' appearances have a lot to learn. There are many people of all ages and descriptions who have lots of money, but may not appear so. Retail sales is about selling, not judging. Personally, I would not shop in any store that operates in this manner. If they want to limit their sales based on snobbery, I'll be more than happy to indulge them by not patronizing their store.<|

·
Registered
279 Posts
It's ok..I won't take it too hard. Guess that's what the general public thinks..sigh..sad man..the misconception
Don't forget, I have no idea what your general public thinks compared to mine - I'm sure attitudes are very different over there in Singapore than what they are here in Pennsylvania farmland area in the USA!

1 - 20 of 69 Posts