WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So Samsung announced a new smartwatch recently (pictured below, pic borrowed from the interwebs) and as is typical, they wanted to make it look sporty. So what did they do? They added a tachymeter! Unfortunately, they have no idea what a tachymeter is or how it works, so they left off the center chronograph hand. I know this isn't the first time this has happened, but still as a watch enthusiast it pains me to see such mistakes. Hopefully you can change the face at least.

Besides that, seems like a decent smartwatch, if that's your thing.
Screenshot_20160831-201043-2.jpg

·
Registered
4,956 Posts
My question is, what purpose does even a legit tachymeter have aside from decoration?

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My question is, what purpose does even a legit tachymeter have aside from decoration?
Besides eljay's reply.... In this century? Nothing. To be honest I do really want to find a place I can use the one on my speedy though. Just to say I did.

Sent from my watch using pure mechanical brilliance.

·
Registered
4,956 Posts
Besides eljay's reply.... In this century? Nothing. To be honest I do really want to find a place I can use the one on my speedy though. Just to say I did.

Indeed. It's not like there are mile markers everywhere for you to check your speed.

I would like to buy a speedy without a tach - a touch of minimalism.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Indeed. It's not like there are mile markers everywhere for you to check your speed.

I would like to buy a speedy without a tach - a touch of minimalism.
Surely you can replace the insert? I personally don't think it would look that great, but I'd love to see pics if you do ever pull it off.

·
Registered
650 Posts
It looks nice, just like a watch.
Aside of the tachymeter, the watch looks awesome

Sent from my Mi 4i using Tapatalk

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Registered
409 Posts
Hmmm, interesting. Confused as to why they removed it on the press renders.

Most likely the watch was in ambient mode, where the second hand isn't displayed. I understand the Gear S3 has a much better ambient view than most, but it's fairly standard for smart watches not to display the second hand in ambient.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Damn that looks sexy as hell.

The main thing I like about smartwatches is the ability to have just about any dial you want, or even design your own, which means you can make your watch look like a chrono, dress, pilot, diver etc. whenever you feel like it.

I also noticed that the tach is on the display because it is a chrono dial, and not on the bezel, so it won't always be there depending on what dial you use.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Tachs dont bother me, maybe because all of my favorite carreras and speedmasters have one on the bezel.
i just got used to them and would even hesitate to buy a watch without one.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts