WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I visited a local AD yesterday looking for a sub and he informed me the sub is very likely to be changed within the year. He showed a different model (GMT? I'm not sure being a NOOB at this) that had already been changed. The case was larger, the lugs noticeably so, and he mentioned a change to a solid band.

Any news on when/if this would happen? Your preferences? Thoughts or other threads you could point me to that already discuss this to death (I didn't see any but didn't exhaustively search)?

I'm feeling that a change may pressure me to buy as I believe I prefer the aesthetic of the current size and design in spite of any technical improvements that may accompany the to-be updated version.

- GregB

·
Registered
169 Posts
Hate to sound cynical, but most AD's thes days don't know their a** from a.. uhh.. they don't know didley!
The solid endlinks are already a feature of new Rolexes. Rolex has been criticised for years for the relative flimsiness of the bracelets on their watches.
Again, not to be too cynical, but it sounds like the AD though he'd caught a live one and was blowing smoke up your skirt.. sort of "Hey, ya better get it now- or it'll be GONE!". Take your time and get what you want- Rolex isn't going anywhere, and if they do change the design and you don't like it, the secondary market is filled with plenty of great vintage watches.
Just my .02 - and worth every penny!

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I understand your sentiment but my AD is credible. He showed me past and current catalogs and could easily point out the differences in the older and newer version of the other model. He was able to readily pull out of the case samples to side-by-side compare. He explained that the current no-date sub does not have the solid end links and does have a drilled case while the sub-date has solid end links and no holes in the side of the case.

It is possible that the other designs that changed may fill Rolex's perceived need to offer a somewhat larger watch and the subs (date and no-date) will go unchanged. My AD didn't seem to think this was the case though - he felt that the new case design would be used across the sports range. He didn't pressure me and did not say any changes where happening immediately. He also volunteered that he was speculating - extrapolating from recent changes to other designs and Rolex past practice - but that no one but Rolex knows for sure.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Sorry if I was too suspicious- the two biggest AD's in my town are totally untrustworthy. If yours is that good, he's a keeper- especially for after purchase maintenance issues.
Again, I just hate to see someone taken advantage of.

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
I visited a local AD yesterday looking for a sub and he informed me the sub is very likely to be changed within the year. He showed a different model (GMT? I'm not sure being a NOOB at this) that had already been changed. The case was larger, the lugs noticeably so, and he mentioned a change to a solid band.

Any news on when/if this would happen? Your preferences? Thoughts or other threads you could point me to that already discuss this to death (I didn't see any but didn't exhaustively search)?

I'm feeling that a change may pressure me to buy as I believe I prefer the aesthetic of the current size and design in spite of any technical improvements that may accompany the to-be updated version.

- GregB
I am with you - I like the older styling vs. the maxi dial, ceramic bezel, bigger case, etc.

That is why I am the market for a used GMT II. Buying used would be a better economic decision, and because Rolex watches are built like tanks, there will be no issues with long term durability, etc.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you for your cautions and words of wisdom :) No doubt they want to make a sale and my AD was very much pushing Rolex when I was Omega shopping. I'm sure he has his motives. He just seems to be a genuine enthusiast (he owns and wears several Rolex variations) and his info has proven accurate so far.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
I hope Rolex will leave the sub alone. To see them ruin this legendary Rolex after fifty-plus years of virtually unchanged style (talking no-date here) would be absolute blasphemy. Come up with something blingy, trendy and huge if you want, but leave the classic alone!

·
Registered
169 Posts
I'm in full agreement, but, you know how companies bend to the perceived pressures of the marketplace... besides, if you want something larger, get a SeaDweller!

·
Registered
380 Posts
There are already two submarinar models out now- the new White gold and the yellow gold that was out first.. I saw the white gold with the blue bezel yesterday (too light blue for my taste), they are the brand new model, she said it cost 30K.. I told her I would only be interested in the stainless which won't be out for a while..

- GregB

·
Registered
8,760 Posts
I am getting old and am out of the demographics for new watches...whatever the brand...they're getting too big,too long, too blingy( and I love gold & diamonds, but understated bling, not tuna can bling.), not my cuppa tea. Rolex IMO used to be the king of classy and classic "tool" watches.....even the datejusts had the military/industrial look. Got to check the used marketplace...I'm happy I have my dad's 1964 datejust oyster perp. and my 1970's vintage Explorer II's.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Rolex IMO used to be the king of classy and classic "tool" watches.....even the datejusts had the military/industrial look.
Amen.

·
Registered
8,760 Posts
Thanks for posting the photo. Are the center links polished? Dimensions? Seems to still have the classic look.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
The 5513 must be rolling over in its grave... :-x

·
Registered
309 Posts

·
Registered
8,760 Posts
thanks for the link. it's still 40mm, no detail on case length, lug to lug(my big concern is they didn't make it longer) Hopefully they(Rolex) won't have polished center links.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts