WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
4,480 Posts
Thank you for the inside scoop Fr. John. If this information is true, that would make the limited edition Liquid Metal PO not so limited anymore. Bad news for current LM PO owners I'm sure. Too bad the "new" PO will not have the 8500 movement, that is what I was waiting for. Maybe next year....

·
Registered
3,410 Posts
In reading your other thread John I thought it was you who had gotten that info...given that the original source is from...well I will stop myself now from saying anything inappropriate...

Regardless, I am not buying it until I see something a bit more tangible....seems a bit bold even for Omega.

·
Moderator Omega Forum
2,731 Posts
That would put the Planet Ocean at almost £4000 in the UK, got to be honest, they won't sell any at that price, too close to the Sub, the movement, to the general 'I've got £4/5k to spend on a dive watch' public won't be relevant, they'll buy the Rolex every time.

Sean

·
Registered
794 Posts
Not good news. Without an upgrade to the movement, Omega wants you to spend an additional $2K for the ceramic bezel and upgraded bracelet with screws.

·
Registered
6,644 Posts
does anybody know approximately how many POs have been made since 2005? And -if this rumour is true-is Omega actually changing the physical name on the watch from SM PO to SM LM? I'm not clear on how accirate this info is anyway.

·
Registered
7,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you for the inside scoop Fr. John. If this information is true, that would make the limited edition Liquid Metal PO not so limited anymore. Bad news for current LM PO owners I'm sure. Too bad the "new" PO will not have the 8500 movement, that is what I was waiting for. Maybe next year....
Not necessarily so. The new PO will not have the unique LE caseback and other niceities commensurate with a limited edition. And adding 2k to the current PO price would make it more expensive than the LE. Unlike most Omega LEs, the current production of the "World Premier" is exhausted.

Remember also that the current US inventory (Swatch in Seacaucus) of Planet Oceans is allocated to Boutiques and not ADs.

Bottom line: The current Planet Oceans BNIB will soon go the way of the 2254.50s.

Fr. John†

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
That would put the Planet Ocean at almost £4000 in the UK, got to be honest, they won't sell any at that price, too close to the Sub, the movement, to the general 'I've got £4/5k to spend on a dive watch' public won't be relevant, they'll buy the Rolex every time.

Sean
I wouldn't buy a Rolex even if it was cheaper than Omega. I simply don't like Rolex watches. Price is irrelevant.

·
Registered
7,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Sean
Not necessarily true, Sean.

Quite a few on the major Rolex forum have chosen the LM over the Sub primarily due to the superior design of the Omega ceramic bezel.

Fr. John†

·
Moderator Omega Forum
2,731 Posts
I wouldn't buy a Rolex even if it was cheaper than Omega. I simply don't like Rolex watches. Price is irrelevant.
No doubt, but you are one man, and Omega are targeting an audience of tens of thousands, mainly non WIS types who are looking to buy a very very expensive dive watch, that audience will buy the Rolex, everyone here has always acknowledged that the Planet Ocean's main advantage is it's value for money over the Submariner, when that price gap evapourates, so will the Planet Ocean's sales.

I have both, and have neither a bias, nor an axe to grind, that's simply how it will be.

Sean

·
Registered
6,644 Posts
If true its a very bold strategy by Omega. Given the choice your average consumer often rates objects based on price point. Given a choice between sub and new LM PO I wonder if all (certainly some will always go with rolex) but its possible that some customers might actually go for the Omega simply because a) its price is close to the rlx and b) they prefer the look of the omega and c) they don't perceive any diffence in quality between the 2 brands

·
Moderator Omega Forum
2,731 Posts
Not necessarily true, Sean.

Quite a few on the major Rolex forum have chosen the LM over the Sub primarily due to the superior design of the Omega ceramic bezel.

Fr. John†
Yes I quite agree Father John, but again we are in the insulated confines of watch forums where such things are important, the general watch buying public, of which there are tens of thousands will not even know there's an issue, they will walk into a shop with five grand to spend and be presented with a Rolex or an Omega in the same price bracket, ceramic bezels, etc. etc.

I can only speak for the UK market, but I'm sure most, (and we are talking about non-wis here) will buy the Rolex

Again, I'm a massive Omega fan, and like yourself, I own both, but I really think this will price the Panet Ocean out of the market, I do hope I'm wrong.

Sean

·
Registered
80 Posts
I am so happy that I pulled the trigger before things get crazy. I spent a considerable amount of time looking at a lot of options before buying my PO. I looked at the Rolex Sub, Sinn U2, Oris Pro Diver, Oris Titan, Doxa 5000T, Tag Aquaracer 500, Helson Sharkmaster, Orient Poseiden, Resco and the Breitling SuperOcean. At the end of the day, everything kept pointing to the PO. Just a magnificent peice of work, perfect as is IMHO.

·
Premium Member
7,168 Posts
I distinctly remember Mr. Urquhart saying in that recent interview that they would continue to develop the 2500, and that the next PO would likely use the next version. So... 2500D?

Oh, and reading that post, I got the chills a little bit... It just made me realize how much I love my PO, just the way it is! ;-)

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
I am not so sure that Omega is interested in competing with Rolex directly. Quite possibly Omega is planning to target a uber-luxury segment and scaling back production. We simply don't know.

Rolex is perceived as a status symbol for successful salespeople (at least in the US). I haven't seen many successful technologists (I live and work in Silicon Valley) wearing Rolexes. In fact, I've only seen one wearing a vintage Rolex. Most hi-tech executives I know wear Omegas, IWCs, Zeniths and such.

·
Registered
7,940 Posts
All great news! Saves me the price of a new PO!

I was thinking that an LM-bezeled PO 8500 might be hard to resist but, much as I like the LiquidMetal bezel, I think the 2500 + that twinkly dial + an extra $2000 make it pretty resistible. What's the betting it'll only be available in clown-sizes, too?

·
Registered
4,480 Posts
Yes I quite agree Father John, but again we are in the insulated confines of watch forums where such things are important, the general watch buying public, of which there are tens of thousands will not even know there's an issue, they will walk into a shop with five grand to spend and be presented with a Rolex or an Omega in the same price bracket, ceramic bezels, etc. etc.

I can only speak for the UK market, but I'm sure most, (and we are talking about non-wis here) will buy the Rolex

Again, I'm a massive Omega fan, and like yourself, I own both, but I really think this will price the Panet Ocean out of the market, I do hope I'm wrong.

Sean
Sean, do they still sell Rolex and Omega in the same shops in the UK? It appears that Omega is separating itself physically from Rolex in most shops here in the U.S. Well, all I can say is that both brands used to be sold together at Ben Bridge; but not anymore. It would be difficult to compare a Rolex Sub and Omega PO side by side here in Hawaii as they are not sold together.

·
Moderator Omega Forum
2,731 Posts
Sean, do they still sell Rolex and Omega in the same shops in the UK? It appears that Omega is separating itself physically from Rolex in most shops here in the U.S. Well, all I can say is that both brands used to be sold together at Ben Bridge; but not anymore. It would be difficult to compare a Rolex Sub and Omega PO side by side here in Hawaii as they are not sold together.
That's a good point Derek, yes at the moment, you can still go to Goldsmiths Jewellers and buy both side by side, I have no idea, however, if this will remain the case, and if Goldsmiths had to ditch either manufacturer you would imagine that would impact significantly on their business.

Sean

1 - 20 of 75 Posts