WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I'm thinking of swapping my 2015 YM 116622 pt dial + 8,500 Euros (9,300 USD) for a Calatrava 5296G-010, year 2014, serviced by Patek in 2018, no box, no certificate of authenticity, only Patek extract from archive.
Good deal? 71msOGZcsjL._AC_UX342_.jpg zRolex-116622-Yacht-Master-131303.jpg

·
Registered
750 Posts
Ew. Bad deal.

No box, no papers NO DEAL and even then I wouldn't but that's up to you. If I don't love the YachtMaster, I'd sell it for cash and look deeper. A watch without box and papers for me personally is a no go and for a Patek...well most people would say that's toxic without the necessary papers.

Reactions: VicLeChic

·
Registered
5,527 Posts
If i was going to buy a high end piece like the Calatrava id be looking for more papers.
going to be much easier to sell a Rolex these days than a PP without box and papers. I'd sell your Rolex private party and then see where you are at.

FWIW Id also look at the small seconds Calatrava, I don't like the date on a dress watch but YMMV

·
Premium Member
10,721 Posts
Hi all, I'm thinking of swapping my 2015 YM 116622 pt dial + 8,500 Euros (9,300 USD) for a Calatrava 5296G-010, year 2014, serviced by Patek in 2018, no box, no certificate of authenticity, only Patek extract from archive.
Good deal? View attachment 15090915 View attachment 15090917
This Patek, IMO, has no character nor proper identity, it's the average Joe of watches; you could replace the name on the dial by Jean Philippe, it wouldn't make a difference, but that's just me. On the other hand, if you have to have a Patek, sure, go for it, but if you are looking for an elegant dress watch, why not have a look at the ALS 1815? I am sure that you could have the same deal

1815.jpg

·
Premium Member
4,137 Posts
I can't really figure this one. I can't imagine that you plan for the PP to fill the same role as the YM. Is this because the YM is something you have that you're willing to give up? I agree with those who think the net cost is a lot for something with that provenance.

·
Registered
3,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I can't really figure this one. I can't imagine that you plan for the PP to fill the same role as the YM. Is this because the YM is something you have that you're willing to give up? I agree with those who think the net cost is a lot for something with that provenance.
I love the YM and I wear it with great pleasure. But yes, I'm willing to sacrifice it to get my first and favorite non complicated Patek. I wear divers and dress watches. The YM is somewhere in between and somewhat redundant.

·
Registered
3,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
This Patek, IMO, has no character nor proper identity, it's the average Joe of watches; you could replace the name on the dial by Jean Philippe, it wouldn't make a difference, but that's just me. On the other hand, if you have to have a Patek, sure, go for it, but if you are looking for an elegant dress watch, why not have a look at the ALS 1815? I am sure that you could have the same deal

View attachment 15091331
That is superb, but I prefer the more simple and classic 5296.

·
Registered
3,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
If i was going to buy a high end piece like the Calatrava id be looking for more papers.
going to be much easier to sell a Rolex these days than a PP without box and papers. I'd sell your Rolex private party and then see where you are at.

FWIW Id also look at the small seconds Calatrava, I don't like the date on a dress watch but YMMV
I'd get 500 more selling private in this case. I could try and push the seller for 500 more on my YM, I think they would accept.

The 5196 is amazing but it's smaller, manual wind and I want automatic and the date complication. I plan on wearing an auto 5296 on rotation several days in a row, don't want a manual cranker, the 5296 is really the Calatrava I want.

The lack of papers is indeed a big minus I have to admit. It's the only reason I haven't pulled the trigger.

I'm really starting this thread to get feedback from you guys, to get some perspective as I'm very much enamored with this piece but I don't want to do something stupid.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
I would.

That isn’t my favourite Calatrava, but you’ve already confirmed that it is yours.

I’d much rather a Calatrava than a Yachtmaster.

I would question what else is in the collection?

·
Registered
3,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I would.

That isn’t my favourite Calatrava, but you’ve already confirmed that it is yours.

I’d much rather a Calatrava than a Yachtmaster.

I would question what else is in the collection?
Rest of the collection is made of divers, a chrono and some cheap and cheerful dress watches.

Essentially SD43, Omega PO2500C, Breitling Seawolf stratus silver, Speedy Racing 44, two Maurice Lacroix Masterpiece, a Frederique Constant FC-303, a Longines pocket watch, two Kentex Marineman, a Crepas Cayman.

This would be my first move into higher end. A grail of mine. My first Patek.

To have the same 5296 box and papers, it would cost me 4,500 euros more. A BNIB NOS is 6 grand more.

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
Rest of the collection is made of divers, a chrono and some cheap and cheerful dress watches.

Essentially SD43, Omega PO2500C, Breitling Seawolf stratus silver, Speedy Racing 44, two Maurice Lacroix Masterpiece, a Frederique Constant FC-303, a Longines pocket watch, two Kentex Marineman, a Crepas Cayman.

This would be my first move into higher end. A grail of mine. My first Patek.

To have the same 5296 box and papers, it would cost me 4,500 euros more. A BNIB NOS is 6 grand more.
Why don't you clear out some of your other pieces along with the YM and break even? That way you thin down a bit and put out less cash.

Or sell the YM and some others and pick up a PP with papers and box.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Well you’d gain a Calatrava, but more importantly lose a white YM!

I’d try to keep the YM and add some more money to get the PP.

Do you have other sports Rolexes still?

·
Registered
3,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Why don't you clear out some of your other pieces along with the YM and break even? That way you thin down a bit and put out less cash.

Or sell the YM and some others and pick up a PP with papers and box.
Yeah, I could let go some others pieces and make up the difference for box and papers, but I'm kind of attached to most of them. The ones I could easily part with are not worth much so no point selling these.

I think I just might wait till summer when prices tend to come down a bit and I might find a better deal box and papers

·
Registered
3,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well you’d gain a Calatrava, but more importantly lose a white YM!

I’d try to keep the YM and add some more money to get the PP.

Do you have other sports Rolexes still?
I think I'm going to wait for the right deal on a box and papers 5296. The YM would go and I'd keep just one sports Rolex still, the SD43.

·
Registered
5,527 Posts
I'd get 500 more selling private in this case. I could try and push the seller for 500 more on my YM, I think they would accept.

The 5196 is amazing but it's smaller, manual wind and I want automatic and the date complication. I plan on wearing an auto 5296 on rotation several days in a row, don't want a manual cranker, the 5296 is really the Calatrava I want.

The lack of papers is indeed a big minus I have to admit. It's the only reason I haven't pulled the trigger.

I'm really starting this thread to get feedback from you guys, to get some perspective as I'm very much enamored with this piece but I don't want to do something stupid.

$4500 more for the box and papers - damm, thats quite a bit.

Obviously you would be buying the seller as far as authenticity, and should you resell you will face similar issues.
that being said if you love that version and feel like its a permanent keeper then push for a better trade value for your rolex and save the frustration of multiple deals for both of you.
I personally prefer the PP to that version of the YM so id say yes if everything else checks out to your liking.
For a daily wear piece the date and auto winding would be good.

it certainly looks like you have the Rolex / sport/ diver category well covered with the SD.

I also imagine that the YM would be easier to realize for cash which may make it more attractive to the other side of the transaction.

good luck.

·
Registered
3,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thank you all for chiming in. I've decided to wait for a better full set deal. Although there aren't many 5296s, it's not a rare model so I'm confident a better opportunity will pop up. Cheers.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts