WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
The GW-5000 is my favorite modern G-SHOCK square for a number of reasons. It is also my most worn square. There is a lot to appreciate about this model that has been lauded and discussed at length in recent years here on F17. I'll admit that I totally buy into the GW-5000 ethos. The GW-5000 is as close to a perfect square as it gets for me, but that does not preclude it from its flaws. The two major improvements I would make if I could design an upgraded GW-5000 are better clarity + contrast for the LCD and allow for the current time to be displayed while using the CDT + stopwatch.
Many other complaints have been lodged over the years including but not limited to hard to press buttons and weak alarm tones volume.
While I certainly appreciate the GW-5000 for what it is and will likely never part with mine, I also could not help myself from tinkering with a possible upgrade to this venerable classic. What if a GW-B5600 had the appearance of a GW-5000? Yes it would lose the DLC case and screwback caseback, but it would gain both an upgraded module functionality AND an upgraded LCD clarity/contrast since there would be no solar panel in the viewing area.

In order to get this project going, I extracted an old GW-5000 crystal:

Unfortunately the crystal graphics near the Multi Band 6 and Tough Solar text was slightly damaged when the solar panel cracked. The solar panel shards likely scraped the crystal graphics text during the cleanup. Hopefully I can source a new GW-5000 crystal from a parts supplier. This will do for now.

Removed the bottom row text as those functions listed on this crystal will not be applicable:

I used goo gone and a small flat head screwdriver to scrape off the SNZ ALM SIG and L-M-H graphics.

I took a brand new GW-B5600GZ and prepared the case for a crystal extraction:

Pressed in the GW-5000 crystal:

Luckily the GW-B5600 and GW-5000 share the exact same crystal gasket part. So fitting the GW-5000 crystal into a GW-B5600 case went without incident.

Inserted the GW-B5600 module and closed up the caseback:

The solar panel of the GW-B5600 lined up just fine with the GW-5000 crystal graphics layout.

I had a new and unused GW-5000 resin bezel and strap on hand:

So there it is. I am not taking this custom creation too seriously. It seems to have worked out just fine, but I am not in a hurry to replace my GW-5000 with this funny little beater watch. I will enjoy the easy to press buttons, CDT with current time displayed, and loud (by comparison) alarm tones of this watch.

The display options for this are plentiful too. I used the stock GW-B5600GZ positive display 3461 module. But a GMW-B5000 3459 positive or negative STN display would work just fine here too. Perhaps a negative STN display custom GW-5000B is in order next? Haha!

Hope you enjoyed this. Thank you for reading.

Your move Casio.

Registered
Awesome custom build! That's basically my perfect G-shock: A solar square with the subdued colorway of the GW-5000, but without the terribly hard to press buttons. I bought a GW-5000 a fews years ago but promptly returned it, because while I loved the colorway, I couldn't stand the buttons. I now have a G-5600E-1 in its place, but still like the colorway on the GW-5000.

Registered
Awesome custom build! That's basically my perfect G-shock: A solar square with the subdued colorway of the GW-5000, but without the terribly hard to press buttons. I bought a GW-5000 a fews years ago but promptly returned it, because while I loved the colorway, I couldn't stand the buttons. I now have a G-5600E-1 in its place, but still like the colorway on the GW-5000.
You could also get a GW-M5610LG-8 and put black resin on it. You won't have the upgraded module and sharp display like above though. But it's an easier mod.

Registered
The GW-5000 is my favorite modern G-SHOCK square for a number of reasons. It is also my most worn square. There is a lot to appreciate about this model that has been lauded and discussed at length in recent years here on F17. I'll admit that I totally buy into the GW-5000 ethos. The GW-5000 is as close to a perfect square as it gets for me, but that does not preclude it from its flaws. The two major improvements I would make if I could design an upgraded GW-5000 are better clarity + contrast for the LCD and allow for the current time to be displayed while using the CDT + stopwatch.
Many other complaints have been lodged over the years including but not limited to hard to press buttons and weak alarm tones volume.
While I certainly appreciate the GW-5000 for what it is and will likely never part with mine, I also could not help myself from tinkering with a possible upgrade to this venerable classic. What if a GW-B5600 had the appearance of a GW-5000? Yes it would lose the DLC case and screwback caseback, but it would gain both an upgraded module functionality AND an upgraded LCD clarity/contrast since there would be no solar panel in the viewing area.

In order to get this project going, I extracted an old GW-5000 crystal:

Unfortunately the crystal graphics near the Multi Band 6 and Tough Solar text was slightly damaged when the solar panel cracked. The solar panel shards likely scraped the crystal graphics text during the cleanup. Hopefully I can source a new GW-5000 crystal from a parts supplier. This will do for now.

Removed the bottom row text as those functions listed on this crystal will not be applicable:

I used goo gone and a small flat head screwdriver to scrape off the SNZ ALM SIG and L-M-H graphics.

I took a brand new GW-B5600GZ and prepared the case for a crystal extraction:

Pressed in the GW-5000 crystal:

Luckily the GW-B5600 and GW-5000 share the exact same crystal gasket part. So fitting the GW-5000 crystal into a GW-B5600 case went without incident.

Inserted the GW-B5600 module and closed up the caseback:

The solar panel of the GW-B5600 lined up just fine with the GW-5000 crystal graphics layout.

I had a new and unused GW-5000 resin bezel and strap on hand:

So there it is. I am not taking this custom creation too seriously. It seems to have worked out just fine, but I am not in a hurry to replace my GW-5000 with this funny little beater watch. I will enjoy the easy to press buttons, CDT with current time displayed, and loud (by comparison) alarm tones of this watch.

The display options for this are plentiful too. I used the stock GW-B5600GZ positive display 3461 module. But a GMW-B5000 3459 positive or negative STN display would work just fine here too. Perhaps a negative STN display custom GW-5000B is in order next? Haha!

Hope you enjoyed this. Thank you for reading.

Your move Casio.
Could you just swap the gwb5600 module into the gw5000 case or would that not be possible?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Registered
Looks great! I agree, I hope Casio comes out with a reference like this. I have a GW-M5610 I love, and wouldn鈥檛 mind a GW-5000, but the new modules鈥 features are appealing. I suspect they aren鈥檛 releasing it because it would become an overwhelming seller and they would have trouble moving other references.

Registered
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
How is the solar setup like? Is it glued to the crystal?
Good question. The GMW-B5000 and GW-B5600 series watches share the same solar panel part. The difference from what I have found is that the GMW-B5000 solar panel is not adhered in any way to the crystal. The crystal of that model is simply friction fitted to the case center.
The GW-B5600, however, does have small bits of adhesive on the inside corners of the crystal to adhere it to the solar panel film. I had to peel the solar panel film away from the crystal when I removed the GW-B5600GZ crystal from the case.
When I removed the GMW-B5000 crystal from its respective case center, the solar panel stayed in the case center. I believe there is further explanation and images here.

Could you just swap the gwb5600 module into the gw5000 case or would that not be possible?
That will not work because the solar panel contacts are different in the GW-5000 case.

That is an excellent mod. Did you keep the 'NOW' graphic on the backlight?
Thanks Chempop. Yes I kept the GW-B5600GZ module stock for now. I rarely use the backlight so it does not bother me too much.

Registered
Discussion Starter #15
One thing to note about this mod is that the crystal length and width appear to be the same between the GW-B5600 and GW-5000. However, the crystal thickness is a bit different. The GW-B5600 crystal had a small area underneath that was thicker than the GW-5000 crystal. This small area seems to push into the solar panel film tighter than the GW-5000 crystal does in the GW-B5600 case. The solar panel film still lays nicely on the GW-5000 crystal in the GW-B5600 case, but I am going to monitor it for the next couple of weeks to ensure that the solar panel contacts are working properly. The GW-B5600GZ watch came to me new and with a 50% charged battery. If the battery does not increase in charge in the near future I will know that this mod is not a sustainable setup. I'll try to report back here in a couple of weeks with a battery charge update.

Just wanted to share this tidbit in case anyone else tries this. It is a rough work-in-progress. I certainly to not claim this mod is a sure thing just yet.

I love people that are creative and willing to take risks like this for the ultimate goal. The final piece looks fantastic!

Registered
Would you mind sorta walking me through this process? Did you apply the goo gone to the screwdriver, or just the selected area that you wanted to 'erase'? Did you you use a Q-tip or something to apply it first? I'm trying to imagine how you were so precise. I'd like to try it, and yes I'll experiment on a spare piece of glass I have floating around.

Registered
Discussion Starter #20
Would you mind sorta walking me through this process? Did you apply the goo gone to the screwdriver, or just the selected area that you wanted to 'erase'? Did you you use a Q-tip or something to apply it first? I'm trying to imagine how you were so precise. I'd like to try it, and yes I'll experiment on a spare piece of glass I have floating around.
I admit that removing the text from the narrow row was nerve wracking. I've removed graphics from crystals before, but never with such necessary precision. I put some goo gone in an empty upside down bottle cap and dipped a toothpick into the goo gone for application. Only a drop or two applied to the crystal for each area. Then, while exercising quite a bit of patience, I scraped just a little at a time for each group of text. The hard part was keeping the scraping motions within the thin border lines. I used this screwdriver:

1 - 20 of 41 Posts