WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering what I need to keep or do to maintain a watch's resale value. Obviously keeping the watch itself in great condition is #1, but what are some other things that play into the resale value?Is it important to include the original box, manual, warranty card, and all removed bracelet links? Or do people generally not care about that stuff at all? Should I just focus on maintaining the appearance and functioning of the watch itself? (Would be nice to free up some space in my apartment if it turns out I don't need to keep any of these boxes and stuff like that after all!)

·
Registered
5,272 Posts
It depends somewhat on the value of the watch. But generally, keep the box, all papers, original receipt is nice, and extra links are important especially if your wrist is small.

·
Registered
4,402 Posts
Don't do any "quick sales".I am broke and need some money now thing will hurt lots watches resale value.I see lots of these on the forum.One guy does it,and if you have the same watch you may wanna sell sometime down the road.That other guy just may have set the price on your watch.

·
Registered
718 Posts
It depends somewhat on the value of the watch. But generally, keep the box, all papers, original receipt is nice, and extra links are important especially if your wrist is small.
X2….keep everything that comes with the watch in good condition. I purchased a plastic storage bin with a sealable lid for the express purpose of keeping boxes, papers, extra links, etc. That way I know they will be as pristine as the day I stored them. You'll always get more money for a watch that is "complete".

Another thing you can do is to keep an eye on the pre-owned market and buy if the price is too good to refuse. I've actually purchased several watches recently and doubled my money when I went to resell them some months later. This is easier to do with less known brands or brands that don't hold their resale value as well as premium brands. Granted, this is NOT the norm, but great deals can be had and profits made (or at a minimum break even) if you time the resale right.

·
Registered
3,236 Posts
Keep everything. I've sold off a bunch of my collection recently and I think one of the reasons I've been successful in bringing in good money for them is because I kept the box for everything that came in a box.

·
Registered
5,936 Posts
As others have said, keep everything. The original boxes, papers, warranty card (even if the warranty is expired) and of course all removed links. Someone may want to buy your watch but they have bigger wrists than you. If the links are gone so is his interest more than likely unless you are willing to take a big loss.

·
Moderator Public Forum
23,129 Posts
In addition to keeping everything you need to take extra care to minimize scuffs and avoid scratches. That means storing the watch in a case on a watch pillow. And being extra careful when wearing the watch. Finally, your choice of watch will reduce the percentage depreciation hit that you take. A very nice used watch will avoid the immediate price hit when you buy new.

·
Registered
14,884 Posts
Soak them in peanut butter also, about 2-4 weeks before you sell them. :D

·
Registered
14,269 Posts
Those old Rolex watches that are worth so much are due to the wear and scratches so the more of those you have the better.

·
Premium Member
34,641 Posts
Another thing you can do is to keep an eye on the pre-owned market and buy if the price is too good to refuse. I've actually purchased several watches recently and doubled my money when I went to resell them some months later. This is easier to do with less known brands or brands that don't hold their resale value as well as premium brands. Granted, this is NOT the norm, but great deals can be had and profits made (or at a minimum break even) if you time the resale right.
+++++1. As a buyer and a seller, I have found if you have the patience and know what you are shopping for you can most certainly increase your initial investment if selective.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Destroy all other watches of the same brand/model and have a random celebrity pose with it.

Sent from my SHW-M380W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
718 Posts
Those old Rolex watches that are worth so much are due to the wear and scratches so the more of those you have the better.
Yes, the more old Rolex watches you have laying around the better;0)

·
Registered
8,087 Posts
Economics Basic: Supply and Demand. I found it play a big part of resale pricing on WUS private sale. Sometimes you got few guys selling the same watch, your price will be competitive.
Try to stay away from the traffic but same time you never know when other members need their cash too after your post. All part of the fun buying and selling watches. All paper work and packaging is a must.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Economics Basic: Supply and Demand. I found it play a big part of resale pricing on WUS private sale. Sometimes you got few guys selling the same watch, your price will be competitive.
Try to stay away from the traffic but same time you never know when other members need their cash too after your post. All part of the fun buying and selling watches. All paper work and packaging is a must.
Yes! I totally agree. Like many things in life, timing is essential. If there are others selling the same item, wait until the traffic dies down. That way you're more likely to sell it to someone who really wants one, who missed out on a previous listing and might be willing to pay a premium for it. Very prudent advice indeed!

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Got it. Soak them in peanut butter and scratch and scuff them up as best I can. Thanks for the excellent advice! :-d

In all seriousness, I posted this question mainly because of a situation I find myself in. I bought a Longines for my wife from a reputable authorized dealer in NYC.

The dealer gave me a box that has a sticker listing a different model and serial number from the watch I got (they say it's because they have so many boxes they can't keep track of them all, and often just put watches in any random box).

The manual included doesn't list the PrimaLuna or the L595 caliber automatic movement of the watch (they say it's because Longines hasn't updated the manual yet, given the relative newness of the watch).

No diamond authenticity card was included for the little diamonds on the bezel (they say Longines sometimes does but often doesn't mail one).

It's a supposedly reputable dealer with a lot of foot traffic. Should I just trust their word and assume that a future buyer won't notice or care? (That's what they told me, basically.) Would you guys care about this stuff? Or should I not sweat the small stuff?

·
Registered
14,884 Posts
The dealer gave me a box that has a sticker listing a different model and serial number from the watch I got (they say it's because they have so many boxes they can't keep track of them all, and often just put watches in any random box).

The manual included doesn't list the PrimaLuna or the L595 caliber automatic movement of the watch (they say it's because Longines hasn't updated the manual yet, given the relative newness of the watch).

No diamond authenticity card was included for the little diamonds on the bezel (they say Longines sometimes does but often doesn't mail one).

It's a supposedly reputable dealer with a lot of foot traffic. Should I just trust their word and assume that a future buyer won't notice or care? (That's what they told me, basically.) Would you guys care about this stuff? Or should I not sweat the small stuff?
DO sweat the small stuff - IF the cost of the watch was substantial. $2,000+
Otherwise, it might not be worth the hassle.
In any case, this dealer is just BS!! He is talking out of his arse, and giving you the run around.

I can't believe... no, I guess I can. Sigh. Most people (Non-WISs) do not know or care. Worse, bother to know better.

Definitely get the right box to begin with. And the rest.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
X2….keep everything that comes with the watch in good condition. I purchased a plastic storage bin with a sealable lid for the express purpose of keeping boxes, papers, extra links, etc. That way I know they will be as pristine as the day I stored them.
Sweet Jesus I never thought of that!!! Looks like I'm going bin shopping this weekend =D

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Quick update: Longines customer service was incredible and supplied me with everything I was missing, including the correct card and stickers for the box. They also said the box itself and the manual were the correct ones. Looks like I'm all set with original contents now. Huge thumbs up to Longines customer service. :)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts