WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, I need your help. I just sold a watch on WUS. It is my first sale ever. The buyer just received it today and pointed out that there is a blemish on the dial that I didn't mention in my description of the watch. It is visible in a picture on the listing--the main picture of the watch face-on--but I didn't notice it myself beforehand, didn't mention it in the text of the listing, and the buyer didn't notice it before buying the watch, either. What should I do in this situation? Like I said, this is my first sale on WUS...and I want to do right by this buyer. What are your thoughts?

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
renegotiate with buyer or pony up refund.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Haha, well, it may not be urgent to everyone, and maybe it shouldn't feel so urgent to me, but I just wanted everything to be smooth and easy with this transaction, and want everyone to be happy :/

·
Registered
6,286 Posts
Ask him to send it back and pay full refund plus his shipping after you receive it.

Or see if he can think of a reasonable partial refund amount that will be ok for him and you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
21,046 Posts
Yeah, I'd talk to the buyer. If he wants to keep the watch, I think a partial refund is in order. If not, I think a refund and return is the way to go.

·
Registered
9,506 Posts
You posted a watch for sale that you didn't even notice had a blemish, even after taking pics?

So what is the buyer asking for? He must be asking for something since you require Urgent Help.

·
Registered
6,060 Posts
Depending on the blemish.

If watch is under warranty and buyer is agreeable, then get buyer to send it in for service and compensate accordingly, OR issue full refund and get the watch back and get it repaired that way.
If watch is NOT under warranty and buyer is agreeable, then get buyer to get an estimate to fix the blemish from local watch shop and issue refund or refund in full and get it back and deal with it as you see fit.

On the flip side, I have seen SOME people suggests that if it was in the picture, buyer should have asked about it or accept it. I am not that way as if I was a buyer, I would not be happy with that answer as once you notice a blemish, it is hard NOT to see it unfortunately.

EDIT: Saw the picture (it is FC, correct with small black spot on the dial?) That is not easy to see, but it is there.... I say contact FC and see if they can fix this or replace the dial.

Reactions: watchlover1234567

·
Registered
10,699 Posts
Just looked at your pictures and the blemish is not apparent to me, it is easy to see why the buyer likely did not notice it either, so as everyone has suggested, refund partial or total.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Did you sell it as new or like new in box or did the buyer know they were purchasing a used watch? I am looking at my watch and it's scratched and scuffed and if I sold it I would say it was used and not new. He can't expect you to write out in detail every small item of flaw. You did post pics and they are part of the description and they did "describe" the flaw. He saw what he was buying and liked it enough then to give you the agreed upon money. You didn't say what if anything he wanted other than he pointed it out. If he doesn't want anything nothing should be done on your part. If he wants something and you think that's a fair thing to ask then accept. If you don't think it's fair negotiate. If no agreement can be reached then refund his money.

It goes without saying that he needs to return the watch on his dime.

Sorry for your troubles. The buyer should have looked at the pictures. I know I do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
5,275 Posts
Many folks consider proper pictures to constitute disclosure of the watch's condition. I get that.

However, it is always my policy that the buyer should be end up satisfied with the deal. So I would just ask the buyer what he would like to do. In a similar situation my buyer asked for a 10% refund to make things right and that's what we did.

Because the flaw was in the picture and the buyer dis have the ability and responsibility to carefully inspect the pictures, then return postage (if it comes to that) should be on the buyer.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
In the future, maybe list your watch "as-is." Watches are similar in a lot of aspects to selling a used car. Have pictures of all angles and if you've done your best to describe any blemishes, you've covered yourself for the most part. Also, decide if you are willing to make returns or give a grace period for returns of X days. That's just based on how I've seen others sell commonly, not my own buying/selling experiences.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
279 Posts
Treat others as you wish to be treated if the tables were reversed - and if he's being unreasonable - full refund and cover shipping cost too! But only after you receive the watch as it was sent to him / her.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
----
Rolex Submariner Date (116610LN)
Omega Speedmaster Pro (311.30.42.30.01.006)

Reactions: watchlover1234567

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Thank you so much for all of the great advice!!

It really does seem to be a whole lot easier than I was making it out to be, especially with the idea that I should just do what I would like him to do for me were the situation reversed.

I asked him what I could do to make it right. He proposed a partial refund, I responded that I could do that, or provide him with a full refund (where I would also take care of the shipping costs) if he wanted. We both appreciated each other's understanding, ended up settling on a partial refund, and both of us walked away happy.

I just got a little flustered at first not knowing exactly how to handle it (again this was my first sale on WUS), but the good ol' common sense Golden Rule--and just trying to make sure the buyer was satisfied--was good advice. Thank you guys!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts