WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Another post for Chinese brands. This time is Uroborus or "Wuchen" as many collector call the bossman behind it.

Again, I'm not great with flourish words. Just take a simple look a the promo-pictures.

I'll post mine with actuall real life pictures at the end.

And here's mine and fellow collector "Mr.Se7en's"

Mr. Se7en's courtesy

All in all, the finishing with everywhere I touched is extraordinarily well. Yet except for the inside edges of the shroud was a bit too sharp. But hey, it's nicely electro-plated with a premium price. What more do you ask. And extra kudos to hands manufacturing. It's brushed to a point shown rainbow effect under the right angle of light. Which I've never seen before. Unfortunately my camera was not advanced enough to do a macro-shot.

Alright, hope this thread don't turn into another flag of promoting. Which I'm not, merely showing off a local brand if you will. But feel free to ask me anything. This brand or other brand.

Also don't forget to check out my previous post about Heimdallr's Citizen Fugu homage with lumed dial.

Stay safe and healthy my friends.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
All right, I am curious.
How does it compare to D.Veith's Phantom Aquanaut, Heimdallr/Sharkey, HIMQ/Proxima, San Martin, Merkur, Aidophedo or L.Eternity?
And what is Uroborus relationship to these brands or Steeldive?
The quality is definitely up there.

It was one of the best, if not better. Which I did own a lot well-known.

My top ranked brands are now Uroborus/Proxima/Shirryu/Hruodland.

Which coincidentally the exact ones I kept the longest without flipping them.

Once I saw one of them "Hruodland" post a pic about going for late night drink. With most of brand owners you mentioned.

So, I don't see much relationship as rivalry or anything else. They simply share same Chinese watch market and mostly sell aboard too.

But I think there is definitely so source of parts they are using. i.e., same manufacturing factory they are using.

As far as I research, only similarity both Uroborus and Steeldive share is providing OEM branding service.

But on top of that, former took a finner route provide better finishing. Have their own twist in it.

Steeldive mostly just straight up copy successful models of IWC, Omega, Panerai and Seiko.

·
Registered
958 Posts
The quality is definitely up there.

It was one of the best, if not better. Which I did own a lot well-known.

My top ranked brands are now Uroborus/Proxima/Shirryu/Hruodland.

Which coincidentally the exact ones I kept the longest without flipping them.

View attachment 15336518 View attachment 15336519 View attachment 15336520 View attachment 15336521

View attachment 15336524

Once I saw one of them "Hruodland" post a pic about going for late night drink. With most of brand owners you mentioned.

So, I don't see much relationship as rivalry or anything else. They simply share same Chinese watch market and mostly sell aboard too.

But I think there is definitely so source of parts they are using. i.e., same manufacturing factory they are using.

As far as I research, only similarity both Uroborus and Steeldive share is providing OEM branding service.

But on top of that, former took a finner route provide better finishing. Have their own twist in it.

Steeldive mostly just straight up copy successful models of IWC, Omega, Panerai and Seiko.
In your opinion, is it worth 'upgrading' from these micros to Shanghai, Zuanshi, Sea-gull, Fiyta-BWAF, Shancheng, Golgen, Tianwang or Rossini?
Or is the quality difference so neglible that it is better to stick with these micros?

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
In your opinion, is it worth 'upgrading' from these micros to Shanghai, Zuanshi, Sea-gull, Fiyta-BWAF, Shancheng, Golgen, Tianwang or Rossini?
Or is the quality difference so neglible that it is better to stick with these micros?
Well, if it's for my opinion.

Then for my taste, those brands you mentioned are quite too "old-fashioned".

And they are selling way too steep just for sake of being around older than others in the industry. WHY?

But movement wise, Seagull and Shancheng did do a great job. Especially latter, PT5000 by Shancheng.

It has shown better build and finish than Seagull. And far as I know, parts compatible with ETA, Sellita and Seagull?

So, my particular answer is stick with micros. Because I'm a man need constant taste of freshness.

And micros often provide that, pulled some moves you'll never know. Check this out.

·
Registered
958 Posts
So qualitatively-speaking, it isn't worth the upgrade.
Are there any micros that are more representative of the current trend in China or have more unique designs that can stand out on their own (Say like the Sea-gull 815.18.1008H )?

And on an unrelated note, does Hangzhou have a main Watch brand?

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Are there any micros that are more representative of the current trend in China or have more unique designs that can stand out on their own (Say like the Sea-gull 815.18.1008H )?

I don't think for now there's any brand can really represent China.

Pretty much every brand find a way to survive or even thrive in oversea market.

Some does OEM, some does retail. Some does movements, and some does only parts.

But since you are Singaporean. I heard that Proxima/HIMQ is selling quite well there.

Almost specifically for Southeastern market. And their official chat group is full of Malaysians, Singaporean and Hong Kongers.

For Hangzhou, here's the deal of the Chinese watch market.

Mostly in Chinese the language, if a movement was pre-fixed with geographical noun.

Then this movement is solely made for wholesale. Like Hangzhou, Dandong, Shanghai.

But there's also noun-only named, Such as Mingzhu(DG) and Seagull.

80% of them mostly used for fake watches making. Especially Seagull ST2130, or Seagull 2824 if you will.

Modified back and forth to replicate the genuine one. Usually by slapping a new cover on the movement to imitate.

But there is fake watch factory does 1:1 replicate. Most famous one would be Omega 300 made by VS factory.

·
Registered
5,665 Posts

Some of the top selling, domestic brands in China are Rossini, EBOHR, Fiyta and Tian Wang. Rossini and EBOHR have a +50% market share, and are both owned by CityChamp. Fiyta is owned by China's largest aerospace company, Aviation Industry Corporation of China (AVIC), and now owns Beijing Watch Factory.

Liaoning Watch Factory - Peacock (nee Hongqi)
Dixmont-Guangzhou - Dixmont (also owned by CityChamp) and Guangzhou
Nanning Watch Factory - GuiHua

Longio and Memorigin in Hong Kong, are also prominent brands.

Hangzhou Watch Factory's in-house brand is Farrere.

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
Some of the top selling, domestic brands in China are Rossini, EBOHR, Fiyta and Tian Wang. Rossini and EBOHR have a +50% market share, and are both owned by CityChamp. Fiyta is owned by China's largest aerospace company, Aviation Industry Corporation of China (AVIC), and now owns Beijing Watch Factory.

It's always funny how some Chinese companies will do whatever is possible to sound, look & read as anything but Chinese. Your knowledge on all these brands is impressive. Have they left the diver watch realm , serious diving abilities & true water resistance alone?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,665 Posts
Have they left the diver watch realm , serious diving abilities & true water resistance alone?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Of course, Sea-Gull produces the Ocean Star diver.

For a few years, Beijing watch Factory was only selling their limited edition, Liaoning aircraft carrier diver, but now they are selling a more conventional diving watch.

Shanghai has both a 114 diver reissue, and their new SH3080 dove watch.

Attachments

·
Banned
7 Posts

Memorigin is quite impressive for me

·
Banned
10 Posts

wow~ some great brands in Asia!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.