WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since the forum subscribers were so helpful with selecting a pilot's watch for Christmas for my boyfriend..... I thought I would see if anyone has ideas for a graduation gift.

He just graduated training and will start his first tour with the Strike Eagle. I'm not looking for generic strike eagle stuff .... but something really cool. He likes the USAF history aspect and LOVES reading.... he has read all sorts of books on pilots. His parents already gave him the F15 model plane. I'd love to find something with historical significance... Any ideas for a gift? (I'm willing to spend a couple hundred at max if it's something great).

So far, all that I have come up with is maybe a piece of art, nice large framed photo, photo book, maybe a classy timepiece of some sort.... But I haven't even found those things anywhere.

LINKS, WEBSITES, SUGGESTION GREATLY APPRECIATED!:-s

·
Registered
11,273 Posts
I am moving the post over to the main forum where it will attract more attention.

Are you looking for something instead of the watch previously discussed, or something in addition to it?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Wellllll, a couple of hundred dollars will get you a decently accurate and abuse-resistant watch at some place like WalMart or Sears; don't expect it to stay in the family for more than five years or so. But if you want something memorable, that will be kept for a lifetime of memories, that you will give to your grandchildren (and expect them to want it) then you need a "high quality watch."

I would recommend an Omega Speedmaster (starting at about $1500, up to more than $5000+ for collector items), an Omega X-33 (roughly $1800-2600), or a Rolex GMT Master ($2500, up to the sky). Those are all high-quality watches that can reasonably be expected to increase in value in the long term rather than be forgotten in the sock drawer in a few years. Sorry if that seems expensive.

EBay and Google are your friends.

·
Registered
51 Posts
If not watch related, about the most useful item is a laptop computer to keep in touch with family and friends when away from home. Maximum screen size 15" fits nicely in most baggage compartments although I think an F15 uses an external baggage pod.

If watch related, the watch I find least annoying when flying is a Traser P6500 Navigator with the 12 hour bezel. The hands on the Trasers glow in the dark without needing to press any buttons. It also does not look expensive which makes it safe to wear in most 3rd world countries.

Also if getting any model aircraft, instead of anything really current, ask him what plane he looked up in the sky and saw the first time he decided he wanted to fly, and get that one, or peek into his logbook and see what he first went up in or first soloed in and get a model of that.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts