WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Would like to hear from you guys on this subject...

assuming that we are definitely not out of the woods yet in regard to current economic situation and the possibility of it getting worse.

models like speedmaster, seamaster 300m or others...

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Would like to hear from you guys on this subject...
-IMHO the high end watch market is like any other market - risk and return on investment go hand in hand. In order for watches to be a good investment, you'd need to outsmart the market (that is, the rest of us!), and do so consistently, over a long period of time.

Also, (Still IMHO) one ought to focus on classic, vintage watches to further reduce risk - current production watches are made in such quantities that they will not appreciate notably in value for a long, long, time - and, first you'd have to recoup the 'bringing it out of the store'-loss. (Edit: I now see that you stated in your question that you were considering used watches. Sorry for reiterating what you'd already concluded yourself.)

So, bottom line - I'd only invest in watches the same way I invest in the stock market - only with money I could afford to lose, and mostly for the fun and excitement of it - the goal being to get a better RoI than I would get if I deposited the same amount in a bank account.

To put my money somewhere reasonably safe during the hardships, I'd consider a savings account - if my currency was reasonably stable, at least. Stay clear of Icelandic kronur if at all possible. :)

·
Registered
191 Posts
Hi,
I remember about 20-30 years ago, a few people with money to burn bought high end cars, (Jags, Astons etc) and put them away in airconditioned barns, but a lot lost their money. Same with watches, my opinion is buy what you like, wear them and enjoy them.
I used to own an MG V8, and used it every day, and had a lot of remarks like "why not get another car for everyday and keep the MG for sunny days."
Sorry, couldn't see any fun in that. I enjoyed the drive.
Just me wittering on,
Regards,Graham

·
Registered
22,213 Posts
Uh, no.

Best way to get through hard times is to prepare for them in good times. Don't live beyond your means, put money away for short term goals, invest in quality for long term goals, and--above all--keep debt to an absolute minimum.

Jeannie

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
not actually considering them as investment...
looking at them a a possible store of value when banks are going bankrupt, exchange rate playing yo-yo and value of the us dollar tanking...

·
Registered
160 Posts
Compared to what? The art and wine markets aren't looking so hot, so maybe buying a handful of a good vintage of Speedmaster might net you out to the same place compared to buying a case of '82 Petrus. And you'd get to tell time in the interim. In general, I don't think it wise to look at anything that depends so heavily on discretionary spending as a store of value. You might time a certain market right and make out just fine, but I think the base rate is likely against you in uncertain economic times.

·
Registered
96 Posts
hahahahahahahaahaahha oh hell no.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Of all my hobbies past and present, only photographic equipment holds its value, specifically lenses. You can buy a good lens, use it for two years, and sell it for a hundred dollars less than what you paid for it. I have sold several for more than what I paid for them. Unless you're talking about a 68 Shelby GT500 or similar, that rarely happens in non-real estate items. GOLD watches are a different story, hahah

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
In economic hard times, those affected are more concerned with food, shelter, and health care. As a store of value it must be in demand to fetch good re-sale prices but who bothers to waste money during hardship to buy your luxury watches from you ? You need cash others need it too.

Luxury watches are more likely to sell for better prices in economic good times.

·
Registered
10,693 Posts
+1 on the gold

Assuming this is only as bad as 1929, and it appears worse, we are now in about 1931. so we have another couple of years of collapse before utter stagnation arrives for another half dozen years. However, with 'quantitative easing' or printing money, as they used to call it, we could have hyperinflation to deal with instead. Go for gold I say.

·
Registered
6,065 Posts
this is why i keep a barrel of light sweet crude in the garage

plus it keeps the gold bars and pork bellies company ;-)

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
Hahaha - this sounds like somebody is trying to rationalise growing their watch collection.

Short answer - no. There is nothing unique about watches that makes them different than any other commodity.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts