WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've decided to buy myself a watch for my upcoming birthday, I'm looking at around the £1500 mark(I can stretch it a bit if I need to). At that price there is a mint condition 1997 omega Seamaster automatic(recently serviced) in a local jewellers. I'm also looking at watches like the tag aquaracer or the longines legend diver. I already have one tag and having tried them all on I just can't make a decision. Any advice?

·
Registered
867 Posts
I'd go used; you're right in a price range where you can get some very nice used watches.

If you're comfortable with a private sale via the forums you can get a much better deal than buying a used watch from a jeweler.

For around your price (or a bit above), some options would be:
Speedmaster Pro
Seamaster (including the newer ceramic versions)
2500 Planet Ocean
2500 Aqua Terra
Watchco SM300

Edit: My personal choices at that price would be:
Speedy Pro
"Great White" seamaster gmt
Non-ac dial seamaster
Watchco sm300

·
Registered
4,993 Posts
Since the Omega was recently serviced and is in "mint" condition we can assume it is close to new .
Therefore, I would ask myself 2 questions.
1) Would I rather have a NEW Seamaster or a NEW Aquaracer or a NEW Legend Diver.
2) Would I rather have a USED Seamaster or a USED Aquaracer or a USED legend Diver.

If one watch answered both questions that is what I would buy. If I got two different answers I would keep looking for a watch that I couldn't live without and get that one.

You can over think this by evaluating value, resale value, prestige, history, and a few other variables. If you do, the Omega would almost assuredly come out the winner. But if, deep down inside, you want one of the others then you really would be better off getting what you really want (value, resale value, prestige, history, and a few other variables be damned).
Personal opinion; It's better to decide what you want and find one that you can afford than to decide what you can afford and buy the first or second pretty face you see.

·
Registered
880 Posts
if it's for your birthday, I would celebrate it by getting a new watch. for me, I never celebrate any important events in my life with used items. it just doesn't feel as special and memorable to me. for the brand, I'd go with Longines. classic brand and good quality for the price. the Aquaracer have received so many complaints regarding the stripped crown issue and that the service center will rip your money off in order to service it (I heard it's about $250 to fix the issue that was a design flaw to begin with).

·
Registered
6,462 Posts
the Aquaracer have received so many complaints regarding the stripped crown issue and that the service center will rip your money off in order to service it (I heard it's about $250 to fix the issue that was a design flaw to begin with).
Tag's behavior on that issue was indeed absurd. But, that was only a specific model from several years ago -- it's not a factor for the Op unless he wants his new Tag to be an older model.

·
Registered
4,155 Posts
if it's for your birthday, I would celebrate it by getting a new watch. for me, I never celebrate any important events in my life with used items. it just doesn't feel as special and memorable to me.
This!

I know many folks who don't mind, but if you are buying it to mark an occasion, buy new, atleast thats my take on it. Between the Tag and Longines, its a toss up really. I love the LLD but the long lugs are a tad annoying and sit oddly on some wrists so I'd try it out.

I really like the Tag F1 auto that came out recently as I feel it looks a bit more unique, and is made very well for its price point, it falls well within your price range. It was an impulse purchase by me, but I still wear it often and really like it. Its an often overlooked line of theirs due to some funky designs in the past, but the new ones are very grown up looking and have the specs/build to compete.

WP_20150508_002_zpshkiwmhhj.jpg
fotor_.jpg

·
Premium Member
3,644 Posts
I would ordinarily recommend an Omega over a Tag or Longines, but I really like the heritage diver and I'm not crazy about the Seamaster.

·
Registered
806 Posts
If you are thinking of being in the game for a while, I would go for a gently used Omega, if not.....

·
Registered
28,501 Posts
If your budget swings a preowned an Omega Co Axial, I would opt for that.

·
Banned
102 Posts
Never owned a Seamaster, but occasionally Jomashop or some other GM dealer has deals on their ceramic models for $2,600, I would jump on that if you can afford it. If your budget is fixed I would the LLD, have one right now, and had an Aquaracer WAN2111.

Both nice, the LLD is a little classier and it doesn't have the crown issue the Tag has. Be sure and try on the LLD before buying sight unseen, because the lugs are long and if you have a small wrist it won't sit right.

P.S. I think if you are looking at the 1996 model Seamaster, i'm not sure if that has the co-axial movement or not?

I have an 8" wrist so judge the size of the LLD off of that.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks everyone for the replies. Having tried on all the watches the LLD fits just fine on my wrist. I really like the uniqueness of it an since this is going to be a memorable purchase I like the fact that I would be getting it brand new! Plus the Seamaster is so common these days that I don't think it qould feel as special. That being said I've always wanted one :D

The other watch that came to mind was the longines Hydroconquest automatic. I had one a year or so ago and stupidly got rid of it. It was a really nice watch, great value at that price.

I might just be putting off spending more money though ;)

·
Registered
3,742 Posts
... It's better to decide what you want and find one that you can afford than to decide what you can afford and buy the first or second pretty face you see.
Excellent, Don. This is a valuable lesson, requiring self-knowledge, too often learned only after some pain.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts