WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All,

I'm building a watch. I plan to sell it. I can feel the movement move very slightly when winding and setting. I can't abide with that and, therefore, reckon a buyer wouldn't either.

I've looked high and low for an appropriately sized holder/spacer: no joy.

I've toyed with the idea of making one, but with my limited tool and skill set, I'm concerned it will take a great deal of time and the result will be less than desirable.

So what about using an appropriately sized crystal gasket? Assuming it's effective as a movement holder, is this a problem-prone solution? Is this an amateurish solution?

Your thoughts would be appreciated.

Thank you,

Doug

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
what about getting a plastic movement holder with a proper interior size, and then just cut or file the outside to the proper diameter?
I've been down that road: didn't find one with the proper O.D. and I.D.. The movement O.D. is 37.2mm. I have a pocket watch with such a holder. So, I know they exist, but I haven't been successful in finding one for purchase. If you have a source, please share.

I have a metal holder for the movement that works great in a larger case, but its O.D. is too big for the case I'm using.

BTW, I've soured on the idea of using a crystal gasket. It's a kludge.

Best regards,

Doug

·
Banned
24 Posts
I've been down that road: didn't find one with the proper O.D. and I.D.. The movement O.D. is 37.2mm. I have a pocket watch with such a holder. So, I know they exist, but I haven't been successful in finding one for purchase. If you have a source, please share.

I have a metal holder for the movement that works great in a larger case, but its O.D. is too big for the case I'm using.

BTW, I've soured on the idea of using a crystal gasket. It's a kludge.

Best regards,

Doug
Cousinsuk.com has a wide variety of size and style movement spacers and they are very cheap usually a dozen for 3-5 euros and you can get the dozen for the same size or in a variety. In your case you get the same size since you may have to make adjustments and if you mess up you have more to try again. You can find them on eBay and esslinger.com as well. Also what movement do you have? Is it American Swiss? Do you have a movement gauge. If not get one or convert the mm to ligne on google. Ligne is measurements for Swiss movements. American uses a fraction system not to be confused with the standard fraction system although it is based of off it. You should measure the inner part of the watch case to get an idea of what the OD should be. I would not advise using a crystal gasket that would be a hack job in my opinion

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Cousinsuk.com has a wide variety of size and style movement spacers and they are very cheap usually a dozen for 3-5 euros and you can get the dozen for the same size or in a variety. In your case you get the same size since you may have to make adjustments and if you mess up you have more to try again. You can find them on eBay and esslinger.com as well. Also what movement do you have? Is it American Swiss? Do you have a movement gauge. If not get one or convert the mm to ligne on google. Ligne is measurements for Swiss movements. American uses a fraction system not to be confused with the standard fraction system although it is based of off it. You should measure the inner part of the watch case to get an idea of what the OD should be. I would not advise using a crystal gasket that would be a hack job in my opinion
Nothing on eBay or Esslingers. Actually, there are products on eBay, but the O.D. is too big. I'll check Cousins and suffer the trans-Atlantic shipping if they have it. Thanks for the suggestion.

It's a UT 6498: 16.5'''.

I agree the crystal gasket idea is a no-go.

Thanks again,

Doug

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
No joy at Cousins, but my visit there did get me thinking in a new direction. As mentioned, I have a pocket watch with a plastic 6498 movement ring. I may be able to find the part for that model, a Tissot Y524210.

·
Registered
4,274 Posts

·
Banned
24 Posts
No joy at Cousins, but my visit there did get me thinking in a new direction. As mentioned, I have a pocket watch with a plastic 6498 movement ring. I may be able to find the part for that model, a Tissot Y524210.
Ok you can def find rings/holders for the 6498 just search for the movement rather than size. Search eta 6498 you will yield more results. But if your worried about fitment then just buy a whole new case designed for the 6498 they are not expensive ranging from $30-$50

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok you can def find rings/holders for the 6498 just search for the movement rather than size. Search eta 6498 you will yield more results. But if your worried about fitment then just buy a whole new case designed for the 6498 they are not expensive ranging from $30-$50
I have searched as you suggest: no joy.

I have a case designed for the 6498, in fact I have two such cases: one 43mm, the other 42mm. The latter is the case for which I can feel movement movement when winding and setting.

I have a 6498 case ring that fits the 43mm case, but the case ring O.D. is greater than the 42mm case I.D.. The case ring is metal. There seems to be sufficient material to turn down the case ring to fit the 42mm case, but what do I know. Regardless, I don't have the tools or skills to do the job myself. Assuming I find someone with appropriate tools and talent, is it even possible to turn-down the case ring a mm or so? Even if it is, it may be more cost effective to toss the 42mm case and acquire another 43mm case and ring.

I've tried case clamps, but the case isn't design for them.

I appreciate your suggestions.

Best regards,

Doug

·
Registered
427 Posts
Turning down a spacer is trivial with the correct tools, as is making one from scratch.
For a none tool approach you could look into polymorph - it’s a low temp (boiling water) mouldable plastic.
Would work for a one off, but probably silly expensive if you need to make several.

Dave

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
...For a none tool approach you could look into polymorph - it’s a low temp (boiling water) mouldable plastic. Would work for a one off, but probably silly expensive if you need to make several.
Dave,

I had thought of using kydex. I'll look into this.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Doug

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I just googled 6498 movement ring and got tons of results.
...If you need a specific size you can always ask the seller.
I've googled too and found the same results. They're all too big. But good idea about asking the seller about the size I need. I've got nothing to lose.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Doug

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just googled 6498 movement ring and got tons of results.
This being one: https://www.dhgate.com/product/p632-st36-eta6497-6498-movement-kit-for-stainless/402064156.html
Also many results on ebay. If you need a specific size you can always ask the seller.
Funny, I've been in the same predicament for a while now with a Radiomir type watch case and I had to resort to some unorthodox methods of creating a spacer to hold the 6497 in place. Combination of gaskets and other plastic movement holders. I hate it. It seems like the only place you can find them is in China and if you don't care waiting for a month or two for your $15 part to arrive. With such a thriving watch modding community, I'm surprised this is even an issue.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Funny, I've been in the same predicament for a while now with a Radiomir type watch case and I had to resort to some unorthodox methods of creating a spacer to hold the 6497 in place. Combination of gaskets and other plastic movement holders. I hate it. It seems like the only place you can find them is in China and if you don't care waiting for a month or two for your $15 part to arrive. With such a thriving watch modding community, I'm surprised this is even an issue.
I've been in that same position. 3D printing was the easiest solution for me. Spent half an hour modelling the part, and I think about 20 minutes to print it out in PET plastic.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts