WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wore my World Time-featured Mudman to Thailand lately, feeling proud that a simple toggle of the mode button will conveniently bring me to the BKK time zone (+7).

However the pride was partly washed out when I carelessly set my reveille timing to the foreign time, when in fact the watch actually still perceives the alarm timing in conjunction with the timing in the main mode. Back home in Singapore it's +8. Therefore I was rudely awakened one hour earlier than planned. :oops:

Or am I missing anything here? Is there a way to configure the alarm to match the World Time mode? Otherwise I think this could pave a good step for improvement taken by Casio for future G-Shocks.

The Mudman is well-equipped with 5 alarms (including Snooze). Perhaps it'd be feasible to have one of them reserved for World Time use, no? ;-)

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Short answer is no. This was a feature on the older Casio World Time watches (e.g. those with module 643) that allowed setting of timezone as part of the alarm. I don't know of any G-Shock that has this feature though.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Great observation. I never thought about that. I guess you would have to set your watch to the local time to use the alarm but that would defeat the whole purpose of the World Time function. Very interesting. :think:

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Lucky you didn't change hemispheres! :-d

·
Registered
797 Posts
Hi

Whenever you travel you sould set the watch's "home city" to the place you are staying. The alarm is tied to the "home city".

Switching modes to see world time is fine, but as a quick check only. When staying for extended periods it is best to change the "home city" - especially if you use alarms.

·
Registered
5,615 Posts
I'm with Ghobbit. However, if you prefer to keep the home time, then set the alarm on your home time to match the difference (forward or backward) in hours to the visiting location. Do your math right, of course!

·
Registered
2,973 Posts
yup, this has come up before and i've given it some thought. i think the answer and intent of casio is pretty clear, actually. think about it, what is world time for? i think it's clear- it's to tell you time elsewhere.

alarms are understandably for alerting you based on where you are now. so i'd say that when in another time zone for longer than an airport layover, you should adjust the home city. it's easier than more primitive watches needing to change their time, and for casio to add a toggle to the alarm that the user would have to choose 'home or away alarm?' would probably generate even more questions that the current design. just my guess. :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts