WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 142 Posts

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hopefully I don't end up holding the bag for this since the package was insured, but I have a terrible feeling they'll find some way to get out of paying me. Here's my sad tale:
On June 1st, I shipped a Grand Seiko 9F GMT to an eBay buyer by way of the authenticator in Ohio. I watched the tracking site as the watch made its way to the destination post office in Dayton, and then no further movement for a week. I called Stoll and Co, who confirmed that they never received the watch, and started a help request through the post office. Today I was contact by a USPS representative (who was very nice and gave me her direct phone number) and notified that after conducting a search, they were unable to locate the package, and advised me to file a claim. The earliest I can file is tomorrow (15-60 days), so I'll cross my fingers and hope that the $45 it cost for $3K worth of insurance was worth it! Does anyone else have experience filing claims with USPS for lost watches? Any horror stories or things to beware of?
The real tragedy is that this beautiful piece of microengineering is sitting in a corner or on the side of the road somewhere in Dayton, Ohio:

UPDATE, 16 July 2021:
Received this update from USPS that they still cannot find it, so hopefully this gets me one step closer to being paid.

·
Premium Member
6,626 Posts
How long does it take USPS vs FedEx to process a claim? Does FedEx lose less packages than USPS?
USPS will probably take 2-3 months. Yes it‘s less likely for a package shipped through fedex to go missing. They might take a month or so from what a family member experienced.

·
Registered
3,539 Posts
I just filed a claim with USPS, wasn't for a watch and only a small amount of money ($15.00) and not for loss but for damage and I received a check in the mail within 10 days time. I would think a $3k payout would spur them to do everything in their power to locate your package. Best of luck.

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
USPS will probably take 2-3 months. Yes it‘s less likely for a package shipped through fedex to go missing. They might take a month or so from what a family member experienced.

Probably, likely, might. It's great you know someone who had a good experience, but I'm not sure that supports what you originally posted.

Also, I thought FedEx did not insure watches and you either had to sign up for their separate insurance or have 3rd party insurance. Has that changed?

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
It's hit or miss. I have not had a lost package with USPS yet (buying or selling). But I've had a lost package with Fedex. Couldn't file a claim with Fedex because they changed the status to 'Delivered - Signature not required.' Luckily eBay sided with me and provided a refund.

·
Premium Member
6,626 Posts
Probably, likely, might. It's great you know someone who had a good experience, but I'm not sure that supports what you originally posted.

Also, I thought FedEx did not insure watches and you either had to sign up for their separate insurance or have 3rd party insurance. Has that changed?
FYI, I don’t work for FedEx/USPS. Every case is different so the set timeframe can always change. Insurance is obviously third party which I assumed active members like you would be aware of.

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
FYI, I don’t work for FedEx/USPS. Every case is different so the set timeframe can always change. Insurance is obviously third party which I assumed active members like you would be aware of.

I'm always looking for better/cheaper to get watches to me or to their new homes. I wanted to be sure I wasn't missing anything.

·
Registered
860 Posts
I've had USPS deliver to the wrong address and refuse to retrieve, ship packages all over the US and manage to miss my post office, lose packages completely, leave packages to languish in random post offices, leave notes in my mail box saying they attempted to deliver but no one was home (I was home....and watched them never come to my house).

I would rather strap a watch to a Carrier Pigeon and roll that dice.

·
Premium Member
6,626 Posts
I've had USPS deliver to the wrong address and refuse to retrieve, ship packages all over the US and manage to miss my post office, lose packages completely, leave packages to languish in random post offices, leave notes in my mail box saying they attempted to deliver but no one was home (I was home....and watched them never come to my house).

I would rather strap a watch to a Carrier Pigeon and roll that dice.
I’ve experienced this too with USPS.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Hopefully I don't end up holding the bag for this since the package was insured, but I have a terrible feeling they'll find some way to get out of paying me. Here's my sad tale:
On June 1st, I shipped a Grand Seiko 9F GMT to an eBay buyer by way of the authenticator in Ohio. I watched the tracking site as the watch made its way to the destination post office in Dayton, and then no further movement for a week. I called Stoll and Co, who confirmed that they never received the watch, and started a help request through the post office. Today I was contact by a USPS representative (who was very nice and gave me her direct phone number) and notified that after conducting a search, they were unable to locate the package, and advised me to file a claim. The earliest I can file is tomorrow (15-60 days), so I'll cross my fingers and hope that the $45 it cost for $3K worth of insurance was worth it! Does anyone else have experience filing claims with USPS for lost watches? Any horror stories or things to beware of?
The real tragedy is that this beautiful piece of microengineering is sitting in a corner or on the side of the road somewhere in Dayton, Ohio:
View attachment 15942708
OP, hope you learned your lesson. NEVER, EVER use USPS for anything you care about.

I have quite a few friends and relatives who work for USPS. Whenever they need to ship something important, they use either FEDEX or UPS. That should tell you all you need to know.

Whenever the federal government asks you to trust it to take care of something, RUN.

·
Registered
9,715 Posts
If I ever took a package to my local USPS and insured it for $3,000 it would never been seen again. Tracking # or no tracking #.

Hope it shows up. This is everyone's nightmare.

·
Premium Member
5,487 Posts
OP, I hope it works out for you.

Unlike most here, I've had fewer issues with USPS than I've had with FedEx. UPS is my preferred carrier.

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
I do a fair amount of Priority Mail shipping, and generally it has been fine. I haven't had to file a claim with them myself for a lost package, but from what I've heard they honor claims relatively quickly. I don't really use FedEX, but I do use UPS. If you're shipping an expensive watch via UPS, HAVE THEM PACK IT. Yes they will charge you a $20 or so packing fee, but if the delivery driver decides to drop kick the box to the recipient's door and the watch is DOA, you're gonna be real glad you spent that $20.

UPS will pay out on a lost package no problem. On damaged in shipping claims though, if you packed the box, they will fight you tooth and nail claiming you didn't pack it securely enough and it was your fault. If they packed it, they don't have any excuses and they'll pay the claim.

1 - 20 of 142 Posts