WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know these things are built like tanks, but do they have any antimagnetic properties? They 500, 1000, 2000, and 3000 look somewhat similar, any preferences? Thanks guys!

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
Adam. . . paging Adam. . . this is Red Bar management paging Adam. . . you have a post to reply to. :-d

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
I like them all, but the 2000m is currently my favorite.

Adam has a good way with words, so I'll let him write about all the good stuff. For me it comes down to - Spinner being Spinner, and one of the most comfortable bracelets out there.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
I know these things are built like tanks, but do they have any antimagnetic properties? They 500, 1000, 2000, and 3000 look somewhat similar, any preferences? Thanks guys!
I don't believe they have any antimagnetic properties (ie: inner iron shield, etc.) but they are as you say built like a tank. I could not choose a favorite, therefore I followed the easy rule of buy one of each!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Good luck with your choice. This one is my favorite....

·
Registered
4,088 Posts
Adam. . . paging Adam. . . this is Red Bar management paging Adam. . . you have a post to reply to. :-d
Sorry about that, Kev; one too many tornados last night... But all is right now, save for the killer hangover. ;-)

So, regarding the question at hand, while I don't believe that they've been tested for magnetic resistance, their design is inherently resistant (thick, non-magnetic steel cases and casebacks, anti-magnetic materials in the movement -- palatines and gears made from brass, Nivarox mainspring, Glycudur balance, etc...).

I'd say for 99% of the activities we encounter in our daily lives, they're just fine, and for that 1% (i.e. MRI fields, etc.), hell, even my Ingenieur would get fried.

Regards,
Adam

PS - It goes without saying that the exhibition back models are not anti-magnetic.

PPS - This one is my favorite (not just among UTS, but my collection as a whole):

PPPS - Damn, Glen, put that thing away already! The blue, the blue... It's blinding in its sheer magnificence!

·
Registered
516 Posts
I don't believe they have any antimagnetic properties (ie: inner iron shield, etc.) but they are as you say built like a tank. I could not choose a favorite, therefore I followed the easy rule of buy one of each!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Good luck with your choice.

I don't own one, but I agree that these are great watches. The quality on these is fabulous. It's not marketing you're paying for when you're buying one of these, if you know what I mean.

I'd be surprised if they don't have ANY anti-magnetic properties (most divers are somewhat anti-magnetic). I'd ask the company directly if I were you, they are bery straightforward from what I hear. Also, do you have a specific application in mind that requires it to be anti-magnetic?

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Some mechanical watches are vulnerable to intensely strong magnetic fields, which can drastically affect their accuracy. By strong, I mostly mean fields such as are experienced by those working in power plants or by electronics engineers. Most of us do not really have to worry about it, as far as I know.

Watches can mitigate the effects by adding shielding around the movement. For instance, thick stainless steel cases and a soft iron dial. They can also try to use movement parts that are non-magnetic.

Watches affected by magnetic fields are not permanently ruined -- a properly equipped watchmaker can demagnetize the parts. But it's obviously a pain.

Antimagnetic?

·
Registered
804 Posts
Definitely a special watch brand---no nonsense or hype---you won't find the latest celebrity twit endorsing one of these---hopefullly!!

·
Registered
2,727 Posts
With every thread on UTS that I read:

1) I get closer to pulling the trigger on one for myself - the design philosophy with regards to case finishing and dial layout is right up my alley.

and

2) I find Adam :-d (but always with a quality post, so the omnipresence is welcomed).

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Just buy the one you like. Chances are good you'll love it. These really are special pieces, handcrafted as they are.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
i really miss having one in my collection. had a 500 PVD and traded it. wasn't so keen on the PVD look. otherwise, it was a unique, no nonsense, and very well made piece. the blue 2000 is my new grail. maybe next year...

tyler

Attachments

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
I don't own one, but I agree that these are great watches. The quality on these is fabulous. It's not marketing you're paying for when you're buying one of these, if you know what I mean.

I'd be surprised if they don't have ANY anti-magnetic properties (most divers are somewhat anti-magnetic). I'd ask the company directly if I were you, they are bery straightforward from what I hear. Also, do you have a specific application in mind that requires it to be anti-magnetic?

Your right, I did not mean to say ANY. I just know that they don't specifically state any antimagnetic properties such as some others do. I'm sure the steel used and inner workings of the watch have some antimagnetic properties but nothing like those that specifically say resistant to (ie: Antimagnetic: 80,000 A/m).
I wouldn't let antimagnetic properties stop you from getting one of the UTS's.....unless you really need it.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
They are great watches and IMO the 500 offers great value, it's nearly identical to the 1000 for under $2K with bracelet, around $1,800 I believe
And at the price you see pre-owned 500s sometimes selling for - they have to be one of the best deals in all of dive watchdom.

·
Registered
4,088 Posts
Are they comfortable?:thanks
Unlike say my JLC MCDC or IWC Aquatimer, which are made out of titanium, you don't forget that you have a UTS on your wrist. That said, they wear quite comfortably given their size and heft.

Regards,
Adam

·
Ball Watch, Bremont and Longines moderator
11,594 Posts
I had a 500 I took on trade. It was over 2 years old. A watch maker of the previous owner installed the bezel wrong and broke the bezel spring (Not really certain how you do that but some how he managed it). I Sent an email to UTS. A day later I had an email to send the serial number. I sent a photo and a half hour later they sent the replacement part out free of charge. Two minutes after receiving it I had it installed and it was like new. That is stand up customer service with no questions. I just trying to figure out which one I want to buy next. These are very simple solid designs. Glen's Blue 2000 is very tempting.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts