WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
679 Posts
I used to have one. It's made in Thailand with a Ronda quartz movement. I gave it to my brother and he seems to like it as a beater. Keep in mind that the tritium gas vials are only on the hour, minute and second hands, the 12, 3, 6 and 9 o'clock positions. The tritium illumination is decent, but not as bright as on Traser/Luminox watches. The Uzi is an okay watch for what it is, but given the choice I'd rather opt for a Seiko 5 automatic and yes, even the Invicta 8926 diver; however, if quartz accuracy is what you're after, then by all means buy it.

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
I had one, sold it to a friend who still wears it. A great tritium watch for the $.

·
Registered
146 Posts
For what it's worth, I ordered one about a year ago, and when I received it, I was pretty dissapointed. It felt very cheap and the crystal (if you can call it that) sat at a funny angle, and had a weird haze to it. I sent it right back and got my $ back from the AD.
The Defender model, though, looks alot better to me, and I almost pulled the trigger (no "uzi" pun intended!) a few times.
The Protector is a nice looking watch, but it might be best if you could buy one in person and pick out a good example.
Just my $0.02!
Regards, -Reed

·
Registered
679 Posts
For what it's worth, I ordered one about a year ago, and when I received it, I was pretty dissapointed. It felt very cheap....
Yeah, compared to the Traser P6500 or Luminox SEAL 3000 the Uzi Protector does feel a bit cheap, but then again, it's less expensive too. I think it's the least expensive tritium vial watch you can get.

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Thanks all for the comments... please keep em coming. Night visibility for me is very important. Hence the curiosity with tritium illumination.

Curious... why is it that only tactical timepieces have this kind of illumination? Or is it more that they are the only kinds that advertise it so blatantly?

There are some great looking S&W watches too with swiss movements.

There are a few surplus stores in my area, I think I have to go scope it out further.

thanks!! all comments welcome

·
Registered
180 Posts
Hey kramer, good to see you here. Got bored because Head-fi's down? :D

I think it's because it's more useful for the military, who are up at odd hours doing odd things. Also, there's an extra cost involved with fitting tritium tubes to watches.

Ball watches also feature GTLS (tritium) tubes, I do believe. They're rather more high-end, and look really nice. :)

I bought a BNIB Luminox Seal 3000... I feel it's more worth it than the Uzi's, which I did look at.

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

I think it's because it's more useful for the military, who are up at odd hours doing odd things. Also, there's an extra cost involved with fitting tritium tubes to watches.

LOL... you got it.:-! Much more free time on my hands (no pun!). The ironic thing is I was going to sell some of my amps and put that $$$ into a watch. I'll probably try selling them on head-case.

I might get a Luminox. I think I need to visit the surplus stores around me to see them all first.

·
Registered
944 Posts
I have a 2 BALL's (haha),Luminox,& Smith&Wesson. That being said,the Ball watches Cannot be Beat!!! The Luminox is Great for the $$,but the S&W Stinks (Guns are the Best)as far as Lume goes and taiwan movment!!!From what i've seen the Uzi is on par with the S&W. But you have to touch them and see the differance tho. Good Hunting :-!

·
Registered
269 Posts
LOL... you got it.:-! Much more free time on my hands (no pun!). The ironic thing is I was going to sell some of my amps and put that $$$ into a watch.

Small world! LOL

You may remember me. I was on there for a while as well. I think my name was Chops or Chopsrr.

I got rid of all my headphone gear except for the Little Dot Micro+ and Xiang Sheng 708B amps. Why?.. Probably because I wouldn't get anything out of either of them. You may remember the couple of huge threads about the "Modding the 708B" or something like that. I dumped nearly $300 into that thing on upgrade parts alone. Also sold that worthless Music Hall CD25.2 cd player. Even with the DAC and opamp upgrades, my stock Pannie dvd player sounds much better, and at only 1/4 the cost!

Anywho, back on topic...

Eventhough those Uzi's look good (almost identical to the Luminox), I'll probably just spring for the Luminox anyway. But you never know, I might just get one of those Uzi's for poops n' giggles. You really can't go that wrong at that price, especailly if it's just for a daily beater. ;-)

Oh, BTW Kramer, welcome! :-d

·
Registered
905 Posts
It's my daily beater, still gong strong.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts