WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I noticed there is not much love in this forum for the Tissot V8. I think I can understand why, Tissot is an European brand, by making a V8 model they are relating themselves to car sports not always appreciated by the Europeans and not being an "as well known brand" outside of Europe they would find difficulties in selling such.

However there was something in the V8, that pulled me towards it, I cannot quite explain it. I just love the kind of retro look on mine simply due to a different dial color. The mechanism is the same as those of the beloved PRC200 and the reason it is only resistant to water up to 100m is probably due to not having a screw-down crown (when I do surf I use a rather cheap casio, so its lower point water resistance doe not affect me).

It shares the robustness of its other siblings of the T-sport series, and of course the essential sapphire crystal glass.

I think it looks marvelous when worn as an everyday beater, as it looks great with a polo/button down shirt/t-shirt. It can also work with a suit if the situation is not too formal (I would not take it to a black-tie and suit event).

I still cannot understand why its price-tag is usually lower than that of the common PRC200( which I also love the design) probably due to a lower demand, as i think that the target audience financial availability is around the same.

How about you?love it?like it?...Do you own it? would you recommend it for a friend or would you buy it for yourself? How would you wear it? 24h a day? as an everyday beater? or for some other specific situations?

Here's a photo of mine, (shars yours):

ps: I am thinking of changing the original strap for one of this as it connects it even more deeply to motor sports : Hirsch RALLY Leather Watch Strap in BROWN | HirschStraps , have an opinion on that that you would like to share? what straps do you have in yours?

·
Premium Member
79,730 Posts
I almost pulled the trigger on a V8 but the AD I use wouldn't match the price that another AD was selling it for and the moment passed. Since then other watches have floated to the top of my 'want' list but the V8 is still on the radar.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I almost pulled the trigger on a V8 but the AD I use wouldn't match the price that another AD was selling it for and the moment passed. Since then other watches have floated to the top of my 'want' list but the V8 is still on the radar.
so what are you looking for now? Just curious =)

do you own other Tissot? did you think the V8 was not the best "bang for your buck" then? I for example find lots of PRC 200 fans who accuse it of having only 100m WR, while I think such is quite irrelevant for me..(for diving and surfing I use a casio ....)

I think this, in my opinion, magnificent watch as a charismatic look that can not be resisted, while keeping all the Tissot trade-mark quality

·
Premium Member
79,730 Posts
so what are you looking for now? Just curious =)

do you own other Tissot? did you think the V8 was not the best "bang for your buck" then? I for example find lots of PRC 200 fans who accuse it of having only 100m WR, while I think such is quite irrelevant for me..(for diving and surfing I use a casio ....)

I think this, in my opinion, magnificent watch as a charismatic look that can not be resisted, while keeping all the Tissot trade-mark quality
I have got a Chris Ward C60 GMT coming next week and plan to order an Oris Pointer Moon in mid January.
Bang for buck wise the V8 was unbeatable and like I said, if the AD had matched the price I would own one now. As it was I put the money towards yet another Tissot. I think it might have been the Luxury but I can't be 100% sure as I bought a few Tissots in 2013.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Hi Luis_Leite,

Thanks for lifting the profile of the V8 again...

So I noticed there is not much love in this forum for the Tissot V8...

However there was something in the V8, that pulled me towards it, I cannot quite explain it. I just love the kind of retro look on mine simply due to a different dial color. The mechanism is the same as those of the beloved PRC200 and the reason it is only resistant to water up to 100m is probably due to not having a screw-down crown... It shares the robustness of its other siblings of the T-sport series, and of course the essential sapphire crystal glass.

How about you?love it?like it?...Do you own it? would you recommend it for a friend or would you buy it for yourself? How would you wear it? 24h a day? as an everyday beater? or for some other specific situations?

Here's a photo of mine, (shars yours)
I am thinking of changing the original strap for one of this as it connects it even more deeply to motor sports: Hirsch RALLY Leather Watch Strap in BROWN, have an opinion on that that you would like to share? what straps do you have in yours
The attention on the V8 comes and goes on this forum whereas the PRC 200 has maintained the limelight for the last 5 years or so.

The Tissot "pin-up" watch for motorsports continues to be the PRS 516.
This continues despite the heavy involvement in Nascar (PR 50), IndyCar (Danicia Patrick models), MotoGP (T-Race Nicky Hayden, Bradley Smith and Stefan Bradl), Moto2 (T-Race Thomas Luthi model), FMI Superbike (T-Race Touch) and V8 (V8).

My recommendation is that you check out the https://www.watchuseek.com/f62/tissot-v8-appreciation-thread-292684.html that has been a focal point for V8 attention. - there are even pics of my V8 on there...

You may have also noticed that for the 2013/14 catalogue - Tissot have updated the V8 and added a new style that revises the bezel, removes accent colours, puts more numbers on the dial and takes the focus off the 6 o'clock small seconds subdial.

Traditional model T36.1.316.72
size: 42.5
height: 10.57
weight: 90g
Prominent numbers: 9, 12, 3
Date: at 6 o'clock
Tachymeter bezel: Yes
Previous model T039.417.16.057.02
height: 11.12
weight: 84g
Prominent numbers 8, 12, 4:
Date: at 3 o'clock
Tachymeter bezel: Yes
New model T039.417.26.057.00
height: 11.05
weight: 87g
Prominent numbers 1, 4, 5, 7,8,9 11, 12:
Tachymeter bezel: No
New model T039.417.11.037.00
weight: 158g
Prominent numbers: 1, 4, 5, 7,8,9 11, 12
New model T039.417.11.047.03
New model T039.417.21.057.00

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have the same cream color dial V8 and put it on one of these in brown:

Bomber Jacket Leather Watch Band Strap

I really like it and it makes the watch look even more "vintage" due to the aged look on the leather
I could picture such bracelet with my weekend clothes, which almost always are matched with my leather jacket....hmm that bracelet would be great, not sure on how it would look with my casual wear though...button down shirt/polo

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
I have a three year-old silver dialed v8 that I absolutely love. While clearly a sporty looking watch, it is very versatile and wears well on NATO straps. I keep thinking about getting the black and blue dialed versions, but I'm not entirely comfortable spending the asking price for a quartz chronograph. I really wish the v8 was mechanical. I'd get another one if I could find a used one at the right price, but there are other watches a little higher up on the list. I really do like this watch a lot, though, and have recommended it many times.

-hayday

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Wrist
Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Jewellery
Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Jewellery

·
Registered
38 Posts
Sorry to bring this thread back from the dead... but I'm getting conflicting information on the band width for this watch?

I've seen websites list the band width of this watch ranging from 15mm to 28mm???

Did the band width on this watch change from older models to newer ones?

Can someone who owns this watch confirm the band width?

Thanks

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.