WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 173 Posts

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently I got into an argument with my cousin last week. He said that spending money on a vacation
is more worthwhile than a watch. Because with a vacation you get memories, that will last forever. :LOL:
And given a choice, he would choose vacation every time.

I told him "look I'm a fan of a vacation as much as the next guy, and you know that I'm a history nerd.
But you can't go anywhere today because of the RONA restrictions and secondly you overpay for everything.
Also, a watch will end up outliving you and your memories."

P.S. He has never paid for a vacation in his life, his dad pays for everything.

So my question to yall is this. With everything going on would you still choose to go on a vacation instead of buying a watch?

·
Premium Member
6,748 Posts
I've had this debate with people several times. "Experiences over things" they like to say. But really, it's personal. Different things make different people happy. Depending on the vacation, I'd choose the watch. I get to re-experience it every time I look down on it.

·
Premium Member
85 Posts
I always prefer concrete things over abstract things, but I would not put a watch or something like that over something that my family could enjoy.

If it were a solo vacation, then the watch every time!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I always prefer concrete things over abstract things, but I would not put a watch or something like that over something that my family could enjoy.

If it were a solo vacation, then watch every time!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
See that there is my point, my parents are too sick to travel, I'm not married nor do I have full custody of my daughter.
That is why I would choose a watch, or pair of shoes over a vacation any day of the week.

·
Registered
296 Posts
See that there is my point, my parents are too sick to travel, I'm not married nor do I have full custody of my daughter.
That is why I would choose a watch, or pair of shoes over a vacation any day of the week.
Seems like you need to define the parameters of the "vacation".

If your situation dictates that the vacation would suck (can't travel with family, have nowhere interesting to go, everything would be closed when you get there, etc.) then why would you even be planning the vacation anyway? Or prioritizing it over spending money on anything else, really? Who would want to spend money on experiences that aren't worth it? It's like spending money on watches that aren't worth it, frankly. They are essentially the same waste of money.

I think for your question to be worth considering, you need to assume that it's a good vacation. One that's worth taking, regardless of whether a watch is being considered as an alternative. And the watch would need to be a good watch, worth buying. Apples to apples, so to speak.

Personally, I'd probably take the vacation. I have owned lots of watches and currently have 6 in my collection. There is no pressing need to get another watch. Heck, there was no pressing need to get the first watch, let alone the 2nd+

If I'm going on a vacation it's because it's something my family wants or needs, something that I personally want or need, or some great opportunity to travel or experience something new (or something old that I know I like). I find vacations are usually time-sensitive in some way. Watches are available any time (unless you're on a waitlist and your name finally rises to the top).

So yeah, most likely a vacation.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Buy your watches well and you can sell them down the line and get a vacation. You can't do that the other way around.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Interesting, I had the same conversation with a relative a couple weeks ago. It depends. As alluded to above, you would never want to buy a watch over withholding a vacation from your children or by missing an important event. On the other hand, if that is not the case and you somewhat well-traveled already, then I personally lean watch. If you have never been outside of your state, vacation for sure!

·
Registered
362 Posts
Depends on if the wife, kids, or my parents piss me off. Our vacation this year is going to visit my parents... Which isn't much of a vacation...

Reactions: blakestarhtown

·
Registered
Casio WVA-470
307 Posts
Memories with my family outweigh a watch any day! But, if you purchase a watch while on vacation, then you can get the memory of buying the watch while on vacation that will last forever! :cool:(y)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Will you still be able to earn more money down the line or are you using your savings to finance the vacation or the watch purchase?

If I can still earn more down the line and won't have any problem earning more then I'd choose the watch now BUT it's because of covid restrictions. The places I want to vacation at have strict covid rules and I'm also not yet vaccinated. If COVID never happened or no longer becomes a problem, I'd go for the vacation definitely. I'm also a history and cultural nerd and I won't pass up an opportunity to experience being surrounded by new history or culture.

·
Registered
86 Posts
If you decision affects you alone, it is whatever floats your boat. If your decision to forego a vacation for a watch means that your wife, significant other, family does not get a vacation that is a different story.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Will you still be able to earn more money down the line or are you using your savings to finance the vacation or the watch purchase?

If I can still earn more down the line and won't have any problem earning more then I'd choose the watch now BUT it's because of covid restrictions. The places I want to vacation at have strict covid rules and I'm also not yet vaccinated. If COVID never happened or no longer becomes a problem, I'd go for the vacation definitely. I'm also a history and cultural nerd and I won't pass up an opportunity to experience being surrounded by new history or culture.
That's what I'm saying. Because of "COVID" vacationing now sucks ass.
What really is the point? Mask on, mask off. 6 feet apart. What a crock of ****.
Even if you are vaccinated. And this is coming from a guy who is a shut-in.
The world governments truly treat us like slaves. Work hard, pay taxes, and on top of that
enjoying yourself is now a crime. :LOL:

·
Registered
517 Posts
Recently I got into an argument with my cousin last week. He said that spending money on a vacation
is more worthwhile than a watch. Because with a vacation you get memories, that will last forever. :LOL:
And given a choice, he would choose vacation every time.

I told him "look I'm a fan of a vacation as much as the next guy, and you know that I'm a history nerd.
But you can't go anywhere today because of the RONA restrictions and secondly you overpay for everything.
Also, a watch will end up outliving you and your memories."

P.S. He has never paid for a vacation in his life, his dad pays for everything.

So my question to yall is this. With everything going on would you still choose to go on a vacation instead of buying a watch?
My wife thinks the same as your cousin. I think I'd rather have nice stuff. We manage both, but we don't spend excessively on holidays.(English for vacation) :D

1 - 20 of 173 Posts