WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

81 - 100 of 172 Posts

·
Registered
Pelagos LHD
122 Posts
The two are unrelated. If I was a scrub like your lazy cousin, then I'd mooch a vacation and moan if the guy paying used the money for a watch. But, I'm an adult, if I want a watch I'll buy a watch or if I want a vacation I'll take a vacay. I budget for both. I have the money for watches because I do not pay for my parasite relatives to come on vacation with me.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
I'd never pass on a vacation because of a watch. Never. But I'd be willing to spend the year's vacation budget on a watch if that year happened to be 2020...
To me, if I was choosing between a vacation and a watch because of budget, I can't really afford the watch. I would only buy a watch if it was surplus to my basic needed expenses, and taking a few weeks each year on a nice vacation is a needed expense to me. A watch is a luxury, while a vacation is a necessity.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Most of the time you're just moving money when buying a watch. When traveling that money is spent and gone.

That's my argument at least 😂

·
Registered
225 Posts
Vacation with my family over a watch, these memories shared with loved ones can't be bought.

·
Registered
16 Posts
In your context, the watch is a no-brainer. We're all different, how about traveling and buying a watch during your travels? :):):)

·
Registered
163 Posts
Generally speaking, I would chose a vacation over a watch. If course it depends...where? with? Paid or unpaid time off?

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
My first love has always been travel. I like watches but not enough to sacrifice my travel plans.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Both. If your watch is preventing your from taking vacations, I'd say you're spending too much on your watches. Know your limit, play within it.

·
Registered
193 Posts
A Timex and a weekend at the nearest KOA is $100. There is no one here who can't afford both a watch and a vacation. The question really being asked is would you rather have a watch that is beyond your means or a vacation equally above sensible spending. And that's a silly question.

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
Recently I got into an argument with my cousin last week. He said that spending money on a vacation
is more worthwhile than a watch. Because with a vacation you get memories, that will last forever. :LOL:
And given a choice, he would choose vacation every time.

I told him "look I'm a fan of a vacation as much as the next guy, and you know that I'm a history nerd.
But you can't go anywhere today because of the RONA restrictions and secondly you overpay for everything.
Also, a watch will end up outliving you and your memories."

P.S. He has never paid for a vacation in his life, his dad pays for everything.

So my question to yall is this. With everything going on would you still choose to go on a vacation instead of buying a watch?
My opinion, go on a vacation, like to Switzerland, and while on vacation, get a watch.

·
Registered
308 Posts
I like the idea of traveling somewhere and buying a watch while there. Picking one over the is a personal choice. In the end life is about how you lived it not how much stuff you left behind. If the vacation can be something of quality then in my book it would win out. However, durning a pandemic while having to wear a mask is not what I care to do. So this year I bought a watch and stayed home. I hope next year to travel like before COVID.

·
Registered
15,328 Posts
I'd never pass on a vacation because of a watch. Never. But I'd be willing to spend the year's vacation budget on a watch if that year happened to be 2020...
same..I've always gotten cheaper watches on the years I take a vacation.
This time, there was No vacation so I just spent my tickets and travel money on this baby

still having a camping vacation but those are cheap

Reactions: WatchMeTry

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
If you have to decide between the two you probably shouldn’t buy the watch.

·
Registered
15,328 Posts
As it is I already own too many watches. More than I'll ever need. So I'll take the vacation.
I need a vacation so badly. I’m probably just going kayak camping this Summer. I don’t know when I’ll be able to fly again.

·
Registered
3,005 Posts
If such a question arises, you can't afford the watch in question.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Very very personal issue.

Ideally, you get an explorer's watch so you can go exploring with it on vacation, and while on vacation you pick up another nice watch, tax-free.

In a choice of one over the other though, I'd choose the vacation if it means bonding with family. That, more than just memories, is important to me. But if it's just for my own benefit, a watch gives joy longer.

81 - 100 of 172 Posts