WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

101 - 120 of 171 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
I work in the SaaS industry have a digital nomad lifestyle and pre-Covid I was never more than 1-2 months in one place. We own two apartments as our bases in Finland and Spain but otherwise pretty much travel all the time, while living in AirBnBs and hotels. This lifestyle always has priority for me. Watches are a nice addition for me personally but I’d never let a watch purchase interfere with my travels. Luckily so far I never had to choose one over the other.

·
Registered
2,985 Posts
I'd never pass on an opportunity to see more of the world in favour of clothing jewellery or watches. 2 completely seperate things to me.

The watch will be there when I get back.
(or when I get there )

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
51 Posts
Idk man, as much as I love watches (and traveling), if I were in a situation where I could ONLY afford a watch OR a vacation, I wouldn't spend my money on either probably. Assuming we're talking of roughly equivalent vacation / watch values of say >1000 and <10000 EUR, if that was all the money I had I'd rather save them. I don't think it's wise to buy a luxury watch or to take an expensive holiday if you're spending all or the major part of your money

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
I work in the SaaS industry have a digital nomad lifestyle and pre-Covid I was never more than 1-2 months in one place. We own two apartments as our bases in Finland and Spain but otherwise pretty much travel all the time, while living in AirBnBs and hotels. This lifestyle always has priority for me. Watches are a nice addition for me personally but I’d never let a watch purchase interfere with my travels. Luckily so far I never had to choose one over the other.
Very interesting, I really like the idea but have problems imagining the execution.

How do you do it? Does your employer pay for housing? Are you forced to travel for work or is it up to you to move at will?

·
Registered
3,426 Posts
Recently I got into an argument with my cousin last week. He said that spending money on a vacation
is more worthwhile than a watch. Because with a vacation you get memories, that will last forever. :LOL:
And given a choice, he would choose vacation every time.

I told him "look I'm a fan of a vacation as much as the next guy, and you know that I'm a history nerd.
But you can't go anywhere today because of the RONA restrictions and secondly you overpay for everything.
Also, a watch will end up outliving you and your memories."

P.S. He has never paid for a vacation in his life, his dad pays for everything.

So my question to yall is this. With everything going on would you still choose to go on a vacation instead of buying a watch?
As much as we have on our love and passion with this watch collecting hobby, money can buy quality watch but not quality time with your family.
If you've your aging seniors at home, you would want to spend more time with them as you never know... they might sleep and miss that vacation you may have planned and probably spent on that ticker that's wrapping around your wrist.
Or, if you could workout good enough, you can have a good timepiece and a good vacation depending on what you choose and where you choose!

·
Registered
301 Posts
Sorry, I can't relate to trust fund babies or spoiled kids. There is a certain joy one can experience by buying everything on their own.
... I consider that being a realist.
It's always dangerous to profile people based on a forum post, so apologies in advance if I have got you all wrong, but you seem to have a bit of a chip on your shoulder.

I'd agree there is probably more satisfaction from acquiring something that is a stretch than just walking into a watch and waving your credit card.

However, some people are born rich, some poor, it's just how life is - Some rich people are Asshats, many poor people are.

Just look around the forum, there are lovely people with Patek Phillippes and asshats with Rolexes, dicks with Seikos and helpful, knowledgeable people with Parnis watches.

Being rich or poor doesn't define you OR give you 20:20 insight to others...

M

·
Premium Member
576 Posts
Vacation for me!

·
Premium Member
1,189 Posts
Unless you are an eatablished author, you can't sell experiences for bail money...so I'd have ti say watches.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
226 Posts
Very interesting, I really like the idea but have problems imagining the execution.

How do you do it? Does your employer pay for housing? Are you forced to travel for work or is it up to you to move at will?
My wife and me both work 100% remote for the past seven years. All we need is a stable internet connection. That enables us to work from wherever we want to be.
During travel high seasons we spend the summers in our apartment in Finland and the winters in our apartment in Marbella, so we can easily avoid the high travel prices. During the off-seasons you can find great deals for AirBnBs and hotels. We also have many team visits in London and California. So if my wife visits her team in California, I just travel along and vice versa. So our companies take care of the flight costs for at least one of us and pay for the hotels. That of course makes it much easier for us and we often extend our stays and just pay ourselves for additional hotel weeks in e.g. San Francisco or San Diego. It’s been fun but covid unfortunately put our lifestyle on hold for now..

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
My wife and me both work 100% remote for the past seven years. All we need is a stable internet connection. That enables us to work from wherever we want to be.
During travel high seasons we spend the summers in our apartment in Finland and the winters in our apartment in Marbella, so we can easily avoid the high travel prices. During the off-seasons you can find great deals for AirBnBs and hotels. We also have many team visits in London and California. So if my wife visits her team in California, I just travel along and vice versa. So our companies take care of the flight costs for at least one of us and pay for the hotels. That of course makes it much easier for us and we often extend our stays and just pay ourselves for additional hotel weeks in e.g. San Francisco or San Diego. It’s been fun but covid unfortunately put our lifestyle on hold for now..
That sounds fantastic, let's hope you (and all of us) are back to business as usual quickly...

Reactions: SMPc

·
Premium Member
70,251 Posts
TBH there are loads of places I’d like to visit but I’d much rather spend the money on a watch.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
For the record, memories don't last forever. Just saying.

I'd get the watch and a "Rekall" brand vacation memory implantation.
This,
I have forgotten a lot of vacation memories and I been around the globe. But I have not forgotten to tell what time it is when I look at my wrist.

Come to Florida and buy a watch too. Want to pick up some neat seashells? Go to Captiva Island. Lovebsharks teeth? Venice FL. Alligator fan? Anywhere a pond is! Zoos, aquariums, space centers, fishing, bikini watching, beer drinking, crazy Florida Man ****. We got it in abundance and we have nice watch shops that no one gives a crap if you have a face diaper on or not.

·
Registered
15,328 Posts
TBH there are loads of places I’d like to visit but I’d much rather spend the money on a watch.
That’s cuz you’re an old Yorkie.

·
Registered
478 Posts
We’ve got a $7K/ year vacation budget that we haven’t been using. That’s why I don’t feel guilty when I buy a watch :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #119 ·
It's always dangerous to profile people based on a forum post, so apologies in advance if I have got you all wrong, but you seem to have a bit of a chip on your shoulder.

I'd agree there is probably more satisfaction from acquiring something that is a stretch than just walking into a watch and waving your credit card.

However, some people are born rich, some poor, it's just how life is - Some rich people are Asshats, many poor people are.

Just look around the forum, there are lovely people with Patek Phillippe's and asshats with Rolexes, dicks with Seikos, and helpful, knowledgeable people, with Parnis watch.

Being rich or poor doesn't define you OR give you 20:20 insight to others...

M
I just can't respect people who don't work and are handed things in life.
My perspective is based on my life experiences.
This is solely my opinion, you don't have to like it. Nor do I seek your validation or approval. :cool:
Cheerio :coffee:

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #120 ·
Unless you are an eatablished author, you can't sell experiences for bail money...so I'd have ti say watches.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
(y) As my grandfather once told me "love doesn't pay the light bill."

101 - 120 of 171 Posts