WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

121 - 140 of 170 Posts

·
Registered
769 Posts
That's what I'm saying. Because of "COVID" vacationing now sucks ass.
What really is the point? Mask on, mask off. 6 feet apart. What a crock of ****.
Even if you are vaccinated. And this is coming from a guy who is a shut-in.
The world governments truly treat us like slaves. Work hard, pay taxes, and on top of that
enjoying yourself is now a crime. :LOL:
Sounds like you REALLY need a vacation!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Vaca every time. I like watches, don't get me wrong, but I love to travel. I can see both sides,, especially coming out of a pandemic. But real, live Bay Watch vs. "A Watch?" I'm good.

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
644 Posts
Everyone is different. Some people prefer goods, other people experiences. My wife is firmly about experiences, I on the other hand prefer goods.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
52 Posts
I’m just learning about watches, but at this point in time I’d get more enjoyment from a new mountain bike, and then go on a mountain bike vacation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
475 Posts
Recently I got into an argument with my cousin last week. He said that spending money on a vacation
is more worthwhile than a watch. Because with a vacation you get memories, that will last forever. :LOL:
And given a choice, he would choose vacation every time.

I told him "look I'm a fan of a vacation as much as the next guy, and you know that I'm a history nerd.
But you can't go anywhere today because of the RONA restrictions and secondly you overpay for everything.
Also, a watch will end up outliving you and your memories."

P.S. He has never paid for a vacation in his life, his dad pays for everything.

So my question to yall is this. With everything going on would you still choose to go on a vacation instead of buying a watch?
I consider vacations as necessary and watches as a luxury. My vacations are part of the family budget and my watches come from disposable income that may be leftover after necessary things are paid for. There is no way that I would trade a vacation for a watch. Given the current situation vacations may be taking on a different look, but there is still plenty to see and do out there that can be done safely. Just me.

Reactions: Mr Auto

·
Registered
492 Posts
When I was 13 ( 1973 ) my family went to Fiji for a vacation, motivated buy an Australian TV show call " Sea spray " set in Fiji.
Sea spray.jpg

(Google image.)
Over 3 weeks, went to 3 different Islands, some places were truly off the beaten track,
during the trip I spent a lot of time snorkelling on coral reefs close to the shore , I saw my first shark, and brought my first watch a citizen dive watch ( au $25.00 )
I remember the different food :sick:, the shark:eek:, the heat 🔥 , a girl from Sydney called Fiona ;) and I still got the watch, a few great memories'
mainly about Fiona (my first girl friend, she taught me to French kiss)
but no photos.

·
Registered
testing testing something pizza
23,003 Posts
Doubling down on vacation > watch…

We can’t take watches with us to the grave, right? All that “stuff” we accumulate is just gonna end up at the Goodwill, or an estate sale, or the dump.

Had an aunt pass in late 2019 and we went to visit our freshly-widowed uncle (Dad’s older brother). He was getting ready to clear out the extra stuff from their house. Probably several tons of stuff… more Christmas decorations than my family ever owned, maybe fifty or sixty hats from golf courses that he’d played, on and on and on.

My parents are sifting through their own possessions, too, finally being able to see the baseboards in some of the rooms after fifty years in the same house. They’re starting to talk about moving out — not sure where, but someplace with fewer stairs, I’ll bet. So another big pile of crap will have to go away.

(just woke up from a nap so I’m rambling)

What I’m saying is, if I can’t do both, I’ll choose vacations, because I’d be happier remembering all the places I’ve been with the people I love, versus looking at boxes of trinkets that I need to get rid of.

·
Premium Member
9,914 Posts
I'll add that it matters a lot to me where the vacation is, specifically whether I've got any connection to the place.

By now, I've been to Paris often enough for work trips that I'd like to take my wife there and show her around. I can't say I "know" the place, but I have a good idea of what's neat to see.

There's also the time that we went with my dad to the AF base in Okinawa and, as best as we could figure, walk through the yards in base housing where he spent a few years of his childhood. Got a nice video of him walking around, telling me what he remembered about it. It was the first time he'd visited in over sixty years. Can't put a price on that.
Yup. hate those trips where you would only know the airport and the hotel.

·
Registered
23,003 Posts
Yup. hate those trips where you would only know the airport and the hotel.
Pretty much. An exception for me was when MrsBS and I went to Disneyworld for our honeymoon. We basically drove only from the airport to DW and back, and took DW buses between their hotel and the parks. But it's not really a fair comparison because we got a week's worth of always-new sights to enjoy.

·
Premium Member
112 Posts
Recently I got into an argument with my cousin last week. He said that spending money on a vacation
is more worthwhile than a watch. Because with a vacation you get memories, that will last forever. :LOL:
And given a choice, he would choose vacation every time.

I told him "look I'm a fan of a vacation as much as the next guy, and you know that I'm a history nerd.
But you can't go anywhere today because of the RONA restrictions and secondly you overpay for everything.
Also, a watch will end up outliving you and your memories."

P.S. He has never paid for a vacation in his life, his dad pays for everything.

So my question to yall is this. With everything going on would you still choose to go on a vacation instead of buying a watch?
Well obviously if we’re talking about going out with wife and/or family, of course vacation is the correct answer. Simply because they will have nothing from your watch. And they will forever cherish the memories a pass that on as well.

I would argue that even if it’s purely yourself, I still go with a vacation. don’t get me wrong I love watches I know that euphoric feeling when you get a new one. That being said I believe being on vacation does a lot more for your mind body and soul during that time. And probably has lasting affects of your general well-being even afterwards as opposed to a new watch which yes gives her a good feeling well last very short.

·
Premium Member
9,914 Posts
Pretty much. An exception for me was when MrsBS and I went to Disneyworld for our honeymoon. We basically drove only from the airport to DW and back, and took DW buses between their hotel and the parks. But it's not really a fair comparison because we got a week's worth of always-new sights to enjoy.
well i know of non-business trips where hotel and airport is not so bad (and in fact, preferred). :)

·
Registered
23,003 Posts
well i know of non-business trips where hotel and airport is not so bad (and in fact, preferred). :)
At my previous gig, I heard that some years before I got there, they did and out-and-back (fly, land, go do a performance, get back on the plane, return) all the way to Italy. No overnight stay, no sightseeing. ITALY. Woulda kicked a trash can over that.

·
Premium Member
4,525 Posts
My son will get my watches and he will remember me when he wears them. BUT Family vacations are much much more important...the memories the time bonding are way more precious though than any watch.

Same thing goes for just about everything...take cars for example. If we didn't travel I'd have a 911 Targa 4s and a couple Pateks... 😂😭...but I choose to have a Rolex/Breitling/Omega and own a couple cheaper cars BMW/MB/Fiat Spider & Jeeps for the kids so we can travel too.

Its all about choices....I know someone that has a $65,000 truck and a fishing boat and never takes his family anywhere. If that was me I'd have a $40,000 truck and fish from the F'ing shoreline... so I could take my family on a couple nice vacations.

·
Premium Member
9,914 Posts
At my previous gig, I heard that some years before I got there, they did and out-and-back (fly, land, go do a performance, get back on the plane, return) all the way to Italy. No overnight stay, no sightseeing. ITALY. Woulda kicked a trash can over that.
that rock and roll star lifestyle?

youre a professional musician sir?

121 - 140 of 170 Posts