WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok, I've had my Hamilton Jazzmaster for a week now, and after having handle a few other Swiss Watches, I feel like this Valjoux 7750 in my watch is VERY loud. This is actually a modified 7750, called caliber H-21. Anyway, I've heard of the 7750 wobble and learnt to live with the loud whirring noise of the rotor but....

Below is a link to a video showing the noise I mean. It's not as audible as it is in real life in the video as obviously the iPhone mic cannot pick up the full extent of the noise, but you get the jist. I would definitely not ordinarily tap or flick my watch like this, but have done so for demonstration purpose.

Please turn your volume up.
7750 movement noisy. - YouTube

When I tap the glass on the case, or the side of the case, or when I click my fingers or anything of that nature, clapping etc. I can hear what I think is the rotor scraping or moving in such a way that seems oddly noisy to me. It's almost a clunky noise, possibly not the rotor but the movement moving. I consider it odd as I've said I've handled a few Swiss Autos, and this is not something I noticed about them, but something I notice more in chinese automatics.

Anyway, What do you guys think, is this normal for the 7750, or is there something awry with my movement? I'm concerned as this is not the norm for me in Swiss Auto movements and am not sure if I need to take it to get serviced or fixed in any way.

Thank you for any informative advice!

·
Registered
10,228 Posts
The 7750 is not known for its refinement. The undirectional nature coupled with a heavy rotor creates the wobble, the whirring noise (in the non winding direction) and it's relatively prone to the rotor coming loose and scraping. I couldn't really hear it in your video, but if it's only under a shock, I wouldn't worry much about it, and at any rate, if the rotor were spinning it probably wouldn't do that anyway. If you hear/feel it scraping continuously, then it probably is time for some work.

·
Registered
5,850 Posts
I have the H31 version of the 7750 in my Pan Europ, and it makes exactly the same noise when I tap it. I've never noticed it before because I've never tapped the watch like you are in the video, but the noise is the same.

·
Premium Member
71,373 Posts
While I don't have the Hammy version of the 7750 to compare it to the 7750 in general has got a reputation as a noisy little so and so. If it's any help I'm currently wearing an SW200-1 that's as quiet as a proverbial mouse but when I tap it the rotor makes a noise like your Hammy in the vid.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have a Baume & Mercier with 7750 that is very noisy, but the Hamilton Jazzmaster Auto Chrono (H21 movement) I got yesterday with the 7750 has no noise that I have noticed. I'm curious as to why. Anyone?

·
Registered
379 Posts
Hmmm i've owned two sinn chronos with 7750 but there's no scraping sound at all... also seems like sinn 7750 rotors spin a lot more freely&fast compared to my h21.... i wonder why

·
Registered
476 Posts
This exact thing happens with my Junghans Meister Chronoscope and I was worried it was an issue with my particular watch. It feels good to know it's a by-product of the movements itself, but really bad that it's a by-product of the movement itself. I was hoping it was a problem and I'd get it fixed to remove this tapping noise. Hey-ho.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hi everyone, same experience with my brand new ML Pontos S Chrono which made me do some research & that's how stummbled upon this topic.

·
Registered
7,295 Posts
Late to this original thread, but for future seekers just know this is play in the actual bearing of the oscillating weight. I just replaced a worn bearing in a Tissot chronograph yesterday after servicing the 7750, and even the new bearing has a bit of play in it, so this is perfectly normal. There is always a little bit of play in the bearings because if they made them too tight they would not rotate freely to wind the watch...

Cheers, Al

·
Registered
15 Posts
All, I had a question about the H21 movement I just got with a Hamilton Broadway: the chrono reset does not seem to work unless the timer has ticked past the 15-second mark. So, if I start the timer and stop at say 7 seconds and hit the reset button at 4 o'clock, nothing happens. Has anyone else experienced this kind of behaviour?

·
Registered
170 Posts
I just got a Hamilton Khaki Field Auto H70605730 (H-10 movement) for Xmas and I'm noticing the same issue, and I came across this post when researching it. I hear the same sound as you show in your video. Obviously I don't sit and tap my watch all day, but sometimes I can hear it just by handling he watch, like when I put it on or even if I move it in a certain way on my wrist.

Is there any chance a watch maker could tighten something up to lessen the noise? Or is this just par for the course?

Ok, I've had my Hamilton Jazzmaster for a week now, and after having handle a few other Swiss Watches, I feel like this Valjoux 7750 in my watch is VERY loud. This is actually a modified 7750, called caliber H-21. Anyway, I've heard of the 7750 wobble and learnt to live with the loud whirring noise of the rotor but....

Below is a link to a video showing the noise I mean. It's not as audible as it is in real life in the video as obviously the iPhone mic cannot pick up the full extent of the noise, but you get the jist. I would definitely not ordinarily tap or flick my watch like this, but have done so for demonstration purpose.

Please turn your volume up.
7750 movement noisy. - YouTube

When I tap the glass on the case, or the side of the case, or when I click my fingers or anything of that nature, clapping etc. I can hear what I think is the rotor scraping or moving in such a way that seems oddly noisy to me. It's almost a clunky noise, possibly not the rotor but the movement moving. I consider it odd as I've said I've handled a few Swiss Autos, and this is not something I noticed about them, but something I notice more in chinese automatics.

Anyway, What do you guys think, is this normal for the 7750, or is there something awry with my movement? I'm concerned as this is not the norm for me in Swiss Auto movements and am not sure if I need to take it to get serviced or fixed in any way.

Thank you for any informative advice!

·
Registered
2,742 Posts
I have a noisy 7750 in one of my oldest automatics - Diagnosed as a rotor bearing failure. Not fixed yet, I haven't worn the watch in at least 10 years.

·
Registered
514 Posts
I have a noisy 7750 in one of my oldest automatics - Diagnosed as a rotor bearing failure. Not fixed yet, I haven't worn the watch in at least 10 years.
I probably have that same issue in my Sinn 356. The rotor makes a tinkling noise as it spins (different from the normal whoosh / wobble of the normal rotation). It’s under warranty so I’m debating sending it back. I can easily hear it at arm’s length and it’s starting to drive me nuts.

I’d also like to know if anyone knows offhand if this is an easy fix.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
170 Posts

·
Registered
596 Posts
Had a couple of the Hamilton Chrono Field 38mm w/7750...it had loud rotor noise..didn't bother me...you could feel it turning a lot of the time as it would spin after your arm stopped...7750 is a beast....

·
Registered
170 Posts
Another thing the watchmaker did when under the hood was lubricate the rotor (or the rotor bearings?). She said new watches sometimes come with minimal lubrication. I think it helped quiet the rotor noise, although that wasn't related to the rattle noise that I brought it in for.

Had a couple of the Hamilton Chrono Field 38mm w/7750...it had loud rotor noise..didn't bother me...you could feel it turning a lot of the time as it would spin after your arm stopped...7750 is a beast....

1 - 19 of 19 Posts