WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone please clarify this for me? Is it included in the price quoted on the STOWA web site or not? 16%, wow! I've tried searching this forum but the search function, frankly, sucks. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Can someone please clarify this for me? Is it included in the price quoted on the STOWA web site or not? 16%, wow! I've tried searching this forum but the search function, frankly, sucks. Thanks.
If you live in the US you do not have to pay VAT

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OK, forgive the dense line of questioning, but I want to be sure I understand. The STOWA website FAQ states that they will back out the VAT and I can handle the customs/tax on my end. If this is delivered Fedex, how is this handled? Am I just exempt from the taxes, period, because it's being delivered to the US? Thanks for your reply.

·
Registered
13,407 Posts
There were no fees on delivery when I got my Antea (In U.S.) from Stowa.

·
Registered
742 Posts
If you live in the US you do not have to pay VAT
Hmm, their order pages clearly state that VAT is included in their prices. To get this clear are you sure that when shipping to the US VAT doesn't apply and you should remove that amount?

VAT is a common thing in Europe but I know nothing about the import/export duties / taxes etc along with their applications.

Right off the order form: "Already the german VAT and Taxes included.Please don´t´add again to the above written Merchandise Total. 16%: EUR xxx.xx"

I am extremely curious about the official answer to this one, you might say I have money riding on it. B-)

·
Vendor
937 Posts
Dear joppinger,

thanks for question.
Our FAQ tells you something about this matter:

9-Can i pay without German VAT?
Our special service offers you that we send the watch including german tax.
This means that Fedex deliver the watch in the fastest way and you have nothing to do with tax and custom.(it is the easiest and most comfortable way for you). The price you have paid(the onlineshop price) is the complete and maximum price.
If you want to pay your countries tax and to handle all the custompapers by yourself we can send the watch without german tax. In this case we reduce the price of the watch and you pay the net price. (the net price is the onlineshopprice less 13.5%). If you wish to make all paperworks and custommatters by yourself please be in contact with us under: [email protected]. we will forward ASAP the perfect price you have to pay for your ordered watch.

I hope this helps :)

Best regards

Jörg Schauer

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Dear joppinger,

thanks for question.
Our FAQ tells you something about this matter:

9-Can i pay without German VAT?
Our special service offers you that we send the watch including german tax.
This means that Fedex deliver the watch in the fastest way and you have nothing to do with tax and custom.(it is the easiest and most comfortable way for you). The price you have paid(the onlineshop price) is the complete and maximum price.
If you want to pay your countries tax and to handle all the custompapers by yourself we can send the watch without german tax. In this case we reduce the price of the watch and you pay the net price. (the net price is the onlineshopprice less 13.5%). If you wish to make all paperworks and custommatters by yourself please be in contact with us under: [email protected]. we will forward ASAP the perfect price you have to pay for your ordered watch.

I hope this helps :)

Best regards

Jörg Schauer
Thanks Jorg. That clarifies what is possible on your end in a general way. I was seeking input from folks in the US who have ordered from you and what sort of taxes/duties we might be responsible for here and how that works. I know that when travelling overseas we are hit for taxes for items brought back over a certain dollar amount (it used to be $400?) but I wasn't sure how it worked with online purchases/mail order. I think I'll go with the above response where he stated he paid zilch in taxes. I'm going to order one of these amazing watches anyway, just a matter of funding. I think my wife is getting sick of me obsessing over it.:-D

Sorry everyone for this exceedingly boring thread.

G

·
Thanks Jorg. That clarifies what is possible on your end in a general way. I was seeking input from folks in the US who have ordered from you and what sort of taxes/duties we might be responsible for here and how that works. I know that when travelling overseas we are hit for taxes for items brought back over a certain dollar amount (it used to be $400?) but I wasn't sure how it worked with online purchases/mail order. I think I'll go with the above response where he stated he paid zilch in taxes. I'm going to order one of these amazing watches anyway, just a matter of funding. I think my wife is getting sick of me obsessing over it.:-D

Sorry everyone for this exceedingly boring thread.
Why not asking your custom authorities ? They must know and they will tell :think:

·
Registered
363 Posts
Well I recall buying a watch from Germany's Ebay and had it shipped here to the US. It was a $600 watch and I had to pay like $40 in customs fees and another 40 euro (~$50) for shipping. Shipping is expensive from europe to the US. It gets kind of tricky with the actual customs fees. they need to know the case material, watch movement and some other nonsense to figure out the fees. SO to buy a $600 german watch I had to pay about 15% on top of the price in fees and shipping. it basically works out to be the same as paying vat with Jorg When dealing with Stowa, I just pay the vat and let Jorg do the rest. It arrives via fedex without any fees due on delivery. To save a few bucks is not worth it IMHO and I am a cheap bastard too!

Hope that helps

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well I recall buying a watch from Germany's Ebay and had it shipped here to the US. It was a $600 watch and I had to pay like $40 in customs fees and another 40 euro (~$50) for shipping. Shipping is expensive from europe to the US. It gets kind of tricky with the actual customs fees. they need to know the case material, watch movement and some other nonsense to figure out the fees. SO to buy a $600 german watch I had to pay about 15% on top of the price in fees and shipping. it basically works out to be the same as paying vat with Jorg When dealing with Stowa, I just pay the vat and let Jorg do the rest. It arrives via fedex without any fees due on delivery. To save a few bucks is not worth it IMHO and I am a cheap bastard too!

Hope that helps
Hole-that-is-orange,

Yup, that's helps and that's what I'm afraid of. I'm really scraping together my sheckels to purchase this and trying to go as low cost as possible. It makes no sense. Some folks such as yourself seemed to get tagged pretty good with customs fees, etc, while others get theirs no fees added zippity-do-da-thank-you-very much. I'm feeling pretty lucky and think I'll risk the customs tax on my end. How does it work? Does Fedex hold the package until fees are paid?

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
I did not pay national/provincial taxes when I bought my Sinn some time ago. Not sure what the rules for this subject are now for inbound shipments to Canada, but I was exempt GST and PST last year.

James

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
If you pay the full price, the watch is shipped Fedex, and you pay no more money.
If you pay the price less the VAT, Fedex delivers the watch and bills you for the customs duty
Seems to work out pretty even, and you don't have to cut an additional check to Fedex.

Steve

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
thanks for the post, Steve.

i had elected to order the MO w/o the VAT and was having second thoughts after reading this thread.

my concern is that maybe an unknowing customs agent will not understand the prepaid VAT thing and still charge me with customs fees if i order the watch w/the VAT. as long as the watch is not held up at customs and provided that i don't have to fill out any paperwork aside from paying the customs fees, i guess i will stick to my original choice.

If you pay the full price, the watch is shipped Fedex, and you pay no more money.
If you pay the price less the VAT, Fedex delivers the watch and bills you for the customs duty
Seems to work out pretty even, and you don't have to cut an additional check to Fedex.

Steve

·
Registered
742 Posts
Well I think I'm happy, I paid VAT so I should have nothing else to worry about. Thing is I am in a state that has no sales tax but that probably doesn't figure in at all. I have no idea what the duties would be coming into the US though, I guess it would be a wash either way.

I have two tracking numbers now though, seems there was a problem getting the first one out the door to Fedex. Wouldn't that have sucked to get stuck with two customs duties though. :-D They are probably smart enough to collect only on delivered articles...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts