WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Hopefully this is in the right place. I need some assistance determining the value of my Seiko Watch. I had never heard of the brand before, and I'm really not a watch person, so here's to hoping that you can help a "Watch Noob" :)

I have a Men's Seiko watch that I inherited from my grandfather. Being a girl, and the fact that I mainly wear a sport watch, I really have no use for this watch. It's a beautiful watch and I'm sure someone would appreciate it and have a lot more use for it. According to my family, it's been sitting in his valuables for 35 years. It still works (Motion activated) and overall it's in pretty great shape, and I'm pretty sure it has all original parts.

Anyone want to help with determining its value? Attached is a Picture (link below) and the serial # is 224816

Face: http://i52.tinypic.com/lbhjt.jpg
Back (Sorry for the quality): http://i51.tinypic.com/24fcxuq.jpg

I
f you need any more information please let me know! :)

Bret

·
Registered
3,829 Posts
We aren't allowed to do valuations here on this forum as one of the rules, because there are too many factors influencing worth. If you search google or ebay for "seiko dx 17 jewel" you are likely to find similar watches and get a rough idea of worth. I would keep it for sentimental value. Perhaps one of your children might want to wear it some day. The movement is likely due for a service which will cost more than a few dollars. It has an automatic movement, which means that it has a weighted rotor inside that winds the spring. Good luck.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We aren't allowed to do valuations here on this forum as one of the rules, because there are too many factors influencing worth. If you search google or ebay for "seiko dx 17 jewel" you are likely to find similar watches and get a rough idea of worth. I would keep it for sentimental value. Perhaps one of your children might want to wear it some day. The movement is likely due for a service which will cost more than a few dollars. It has an automatic movement, which means that it has a weighted rotor inside that winds the spring. Good luck.
Thanks Nick. I don't even know where to start with this watch in all honesty, not even sure what "model" it is ect. Honestly, I have no use to keep it, and I'm not going to have kids either. My mom got it from her dad, and she didn't want it for the fact that she already had so many things of his. Being I wear a watch, she figured I could use it, but it's just to heavy and I don't see a point in letting it sit for another X amount of years, may as well allow someone to use it.

·
Registered
329 Posts
If you want to know the model, it will be on the caseback and look like this xxxx-xxxx. The X's will likely be all numbers on this model. Serial dates the watch to Feb, 1972. Its got a really neat dial and case, so it may fetch a few more dollars than average for a model of its type. Hope this helps!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts