WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just purchased the Seiko Limited Edition Titanium Solar Quartz PADI in the mid size, 38.8mm (SBDN 035). I purchased from Seiya and paid $545.

I am curious what people think of the value of this watch for $545. I am a little annoyed that the watch has a mineral crystal and folded end links at this price. It is still en route to me so I do not have it yet, I'm still very excited about the watch. I have been waiting several years to make my next purchase and I've been looking for a mid size (40mm or less) diver with blue dial for a long time. My main comparison point is a Certina DS action diver in SS that goes for $379 at Jomashop, this watch is $165 cheaper and has a sapphire crystal and solid end links, however it is stainless not titanium. My question is do you think the Titanium should raise the price ~$250.

Like I said, I'm super excited about the watch. I absolutely love the design of the Seiko whereas I think the Certina is pretty meh. I consider $545 to be a very high price for a quartz watch so for this price I wish it came with sapphire and solid end links. Generally speaking the watch is pretty high end in my view, why wouldn't Seiko at least put a sapphire crystal on it? Isn't the cost difference for them something like $50? Just curious what the forum members thoughts are on this.

Pics of the two watches below:

Seiko PADI Diver!!!!.PNG

Certina.PNG

Attachments

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
Why would you not ask all this BEFORE buying the watch? Do you really want people to tell you it was a bad purchase or something?

Dont worry about the mineral glass or endlinks...the watch price is the watch's price. How value-seekers can sum up the perceived value of all the watch's parts and compare this to other watches with there sum of parts is beyond me...

Is $500 and somethin' sound about right for this Seiko diver? Yea, that sound about right.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I've never had a problem with the Seiko hardlex crystal. It is a solar quartz so that should raise the price and Seiko does a great job with their titanium. I think you will enjoy it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
The Certina is definitely a better deal but I prefer the Seiko. Titanium, Solar - it's on my wish list for a long while...

·
Registered
789 Posts
I can echo the hardlex - I've never had an issue. I think the "sapphire expectation" a lot of us have (myself included) is overrated.

As for the titanium - that's a huge plus for me. Being so light and durable is great, it almost makes me wonder why people use SS. =)

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,219 Posts
Titanium is a more expensive material and, I'm told, is more difficult to machine. You gotta pay to play.

·
Premium Member
71,424 Posts
Bearing in mind that it's titanium I reckon it's a cracking deal. I've got no issue with either Hardlex or folded end links. The weight of titanium is also a major factor that is perhaps only truly appreciated by us weedy wrist club members.

·
Registered
534 Posts
I was interested in buying this watch too, until I saw the folded end links. To me that is not acceptable for a modern watch costing over $500. It's too bad because it looks great. The mineral crystal thing doesn't bother me really. I've never had much problem with scratching a watch crystal. I have had watches with folded end links loosen up and rattle. It is a little annoying. I expect folded end links on a watch under say $150 or $200, but not over $500. The blue on the PADI is very pretty.

·
Registered
394 Posts
I have a rather infamous brand of watch, a Submariner homage, in titanium. It was $85 shipped.

Titanium in and of itself is a harder material to work with, but selection of the particular alloy will reduce machining costs considerably. My previous Ti watch was an Eco drive with I wore for years with very few marks or abrasions on it. The recent $85 watch shows a lot of rough use and patina in just a few short months, especially the aluminum bezel ring and bracelet. The bracelet itself seems to be a much lesser grade and significantly softer - polished links abraded very quickly to a stone wash finish, the matte clasp has now some polished highlights.

You can add some premium to the use of Ti but it varies a lot depending on grade. Considering the one I bought cost no more than a run of the mill G Shock in polymer there is some substance to knowing what grade it is - first - before buying, and then leveraging that against the makers reputation.

In the case of my purchase, I would have likely been better off with SS as the bracelet material would have higher surface hardness and put up with EDC wear better. It's now on a Aussie 5 ring because of it. It's not "titanium" as much as "what kind of titanium." Cheap materials are cheap.

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
I have a rather infamous brand of watch, a Submariner homage, in titanium. It was $85 shipped.

Titanium in and of itself is a harder material to work with, but selection of the particular alloy will reduce machining costs considerably. My previous Ti watch was an Eco drive with I wore for years with very few marks or abrasions on it. The recent $85 watch shows a lot of rough use and patina in just a few short months, especially the aluminum bezel ring and bracelet. The bracelet itself seems to be a much lesser grade and significantly softer - polished links abraded very quickly to a stone wash finish, the matte clasp has now some polished highlights.

You can add some premium to the use of Ti but it varies a lot depending on grade. Considering the one I bought cost no more than a run of the mill G Shock in polymer there is some substance to knowing what grade it is - first - before buying, and then leveraging that against the makers reputation.

In the case of my purchase, I would have likely been better off with SS as the bracelet material would have higher surface hardness and put up with EDC wear better. It's now on a Aussie 5 ring because of it. It's not "titanium" as much as "what kind of titanium." Cheap materials are cheap.
I had a Ti Tissot sports/dress watch and it got scratched incredibly easily. It felt nice on the wrist but it definately wasnt "tough as nails" that one assumes is the case with any titanium.

In hindsight, I wouldnt buy a watch that was Ti unless it was coated or hardened.

·
5,150 Posts
Based on style alone, I think you made the right choice. The Seiko is much better looking.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the comments guys. The watch is absolutely worth the $545 to me which is why I bought it. Responses to a post like this would not have caused me not to buy the watch, but I was curious what sort of responses I would get and I definitely found them interesting.

I have a Seiko 5 with a mineral crystal and it has a fairly large scratch on it, I don't seem to have incredible spacial awareness and I regularly bang my watch into things, most commonly doorknobs. I originally slated this purchase to be my grab and go "beater" for summer swimming, camping, running etc. It will still fill that role but maybe I will be a little more careful with it. Generally I do not baby my watches and don't mind scratches etc, my watches are for wearing and I'm not a flipper. A crystal can always be replaced for a pretty reasonable price if I somehow put a Tyrion Lanister scar across the whole face or something.

Interesting that Ninjack was so close to buying this one but the folded end linked killed it for him/her. Not sure how much I'll wear the bracelet. One of the main reasons for me to buy this watch is because I currently have my Squale 20Atmos on rubber all summer for swimming, and this will allow me to put the Squale back on the bracelet. I will likely wear this on NATO 90% of the time. Really I'm excited because it will free up my whole collection for more wear. I currently wear my Squale 95% of the time and part of the reason for this is that I need it for swimming, and don't want to have to set it when I'm trying to rush out the door to the pool or the lake. Having a grab and go quartz will give me some freedom.

Maybe I just needed a little validation that I hadn't overpaid for the watch I'm about to receive, and since pretty much all the comments were positive you guys delivered!

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
nice watch, definitely not the best value, but if you like it that all that matters. i like the smaller size but the bezel looks pretty big i wonder what how big the dial will be ? def would take that size over the 46mm or whatever size the other one is

·
Registered
8,365 Posts
Nice, I like. Let me know the thickness of this solar PADI once you got it. :)

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Personally I'm not a fan of the titanium watches I've handled - the lightness reminds me of cheap watches. I've also read they scratch really easily, which definitely puts me off because scratches on my watches bother me.

I would definitely want solid end links at that price.

I also have a preference for mechanical watches.

So for me personally (emphasis on personally) it doesn't represent good value.

I hope you love it though.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

·
Registered
878 Posts
I don't think that the watch is overpriced: it has features, that if you value them, it's worth it, if you don't, it's not (like most watches, really).

The Hardlex crystal is a minus - from experience, they are easy to scratch deeply, but if you don't work around machine tools, maybe it's not so much a worry.
You may find that the titanium bracelet is so light that you will leave it on, folded links and all. It may not rattle like a SS one.
You also get: a limited edition, PADI-branded, Prospex, solar Seiko, that is a looker - and that's a pretty good package for the money.

·
Registered
408 Posts
I think you made a fine choice, the seiko has gobs more character than the certina divers.

The hardlex is fine, it really is pretty tough to scratch. Ive had my orange monster for years and cant see a blemish on the crystal. Also, hardlex is less brittle and thus harder to shatter. I also find hardlex to have less reflections, making them easier to read then uncoated sapphire.

That watch has the Diashield coating on the titanium, making it much more scratch resistant than standard titanium. I think you're going to love the watch!

·
Registered
4,430 Posts
You're comparing apples to oranges; you can get a Certina DS Action titanium automatic from Jomashop for 599$

https://www.jomashop.com/certina-watch-c013-407-44-081-00.html

I checked it out in Geneva a couple of years back, its a nice watch, although the sunburst dial was a bit too much for me so I bought a Shogun instead, but at this price point I'd prefer this one.

The stainless steel Seiko SBDJ retails in Japan for about 300$ and the SBDJ011 with the plain blue dial (but no PADI markings) for about 450$. Since the stainless steel weighs 170gr and the titanium version just 99gr I'd reckon the price difference between those two is justified. But the extra 100$ on top of the 011 for the PADI version? nope

·
Registered
12,725 Posts
Hey - I have the 011 regular blue model. I traded an SRP773 Blue Turtle + $100 for it. It was worth it to me. But I honestly don't see myself laying out around $500 cash for it. But it is a sweet watch and I have zero regrets on it.

But let's take your primary concerns one at a time.

Titanium

There are some intrinsic advantages to titanium over stainless steel. They mostly apply to industrial applications and less to consumer applications - like watches. But it's obviously lighter weight. And it has low or no nickel, which makes it less reactive and hypoallergenic. And as others have stated, titanium takes more effort to machine - hence the increased costs.

Hardlex Crystal

If you want to read more than your heart's content about the eternal sapphire versus Hardlex debate, look up the MM300 threads. The explanation is that for an honest, true-to-form, tool diver, mineral's shatter resistance is preferable to sapphire's scratch resistance. I guess it's up to you on whether or not you want to not give a rat's ass about it and use that as an explanation to make yourself feel better about and justify the watch. Personally I don't have a problem with it. I am much more forgiving and accepting of Seiko's decision making - that makes me a fanboy and I'm okay with that. My personal experience with Hardlex runs the gamete. I bashed my Monster against a rather textured and pointy and bumpy concrete wall and the crystal is spotless. And I had an SKX007 that I looked at one day and the crystal had scratches and I had no recollection of how they got there. Furthermore, I am not sure if mineral weighs less than sapphire, but it may play into the next point…

Folded Endlinks

It's kind of coincidental that the weight of the watch w/bracelet is exactly 99 grams. I'm guessing somebody at Seiko may have gotten hung up with making this watch come in under 100 grams. Bonus points for cost savings, too; sucks for us, good for them. Also, they may have come to their senses and figured this watch is already expensive enough and adding any more costs to be passed to the consumer will kill it.

Overall, it's a great watch. It's - obviously - light weight. And the finish looks like stainless steel - it doesn't have a lot of the dark tones typically associated with titanium. It has a nice, but not overwhelming, wrist presence at 44mm. The lume is fantastic. It's better than my Monster and is on par with my Armida A1. My only knock against the watch is the finishing between the lugs is less than desirable - especially considering the price. But if you leave it on the bracelet, you won't see it so it's a non-issue. I love the hands - it's like an early-release 62MAS homage. Lol. The color on mine is fantastic. The blue sunray dial with the pearlescent bezel is fantastic. You can see the solar panels in the dial, but it doesn't bother me one bit. And the date-only, sans-day is a nice feature seen only on Seiko's mid-tier and up.

Here's a pic on my almost 8 inch wrist.

Here's some detail shots.

And here's some shots between the lugs. I tried to capture the rough finishing as much as I could. The best way to describe it is it looks like chrome plating - kind of wavy. (Also ignore the dings. The movement in mine took a dive and I had to send it to the Seiko Service Center in New Jersey and it came back with those dings between the lugs. And just to reassure you, I could not find another account of a Seiko solar quartz mysteriously dying that wasn't resolved by a few days in a window sill to recharge. Even so, it was only $100 for them to fix it.)

And a size comparison.

And lume shots.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts