WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello.
I’m on the fence about getting a SNR029J1. And I hate to say it but mostly because I know the watche’s value will only decrease over time. I tend to buy watches and wear them and when I get sick of them sell them. In the past I’ve done ok as far as d’évaluation with a few 100 dollars loss here and there. But I see seiko seem to lose value much more than other brands even in the high end models. Why is that?
The SNR029 is 4500-6000 usd depending on newness. I think if I get one the value based on watchcharts.com will only go down vs for example spending more on a Rolex and knowing you’ll retain value and sometimes even increase. Is it all marketing and the false appeal of scarcity? The seiko spring drive is from research a work of art and precision. But no one seems to put much value there I guess.
Thanks. I’m a noob so be gentle. Also I know I should get what I like and wear it. But I am not growing money trees so I like to not lose too much money over time.

·
Premium Member
65,019 Posts
It may sound a little harsh but Nokie is right. Just enjoy the heck out of the watch and accept any losses when the time comes to part ways.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I would recommend buying a pre-owned one so that even if you decide to sell you wouldn't lose too much.

I think the main loss with Seiko / Grand Seiko is New -> Pre-owned when compared to Pre-Owned -> Pre-owned. You might still lose money but might not be significant.

So, have patience and find a pre-owned in nice condition.

Good Luck & thanks!

·
Registered
143 Posts
i hear you. i guess my question was more about why is it that ROLEX used/worn hold their value more?
Combination of intense marketing spend over decades AND a supply shortage. Increased demand and constrained supply = strong secondary market. This comes with its own drawbacks though. It is hard to get one new, and used often costs more than MSRP.

·
Registered
23,653 Posts
Buy LNIB from a good source and save the initial 25% loss when you walk out the door.

Then enjoy your watch without worrying so much about a big loss.

·
Registered
709 Posts
i hear you. i guess my question was more about why is it that ROLEX used/worn hold their value more?
5 reasons:

• Consistent advertising for over half a century = best known "luxury" watch brand (the only one in some sense).
  • Because of that it has the best bragging value, most Rolexes are bought for non-horological reasons.
  • Newly rich Asians want so show off. There are a lot of them. Favourite bribe in China.
  • High prices on second hand and gray market attracts "investors", which drives the prices up.
  • Internet social networks, where people can show off their Rolexes and belong to a "club".

Rolex is an anomaly among watches. For some strange reason people expect other brands behave similarly. If an old Ferrari* fetches $1M at an auction, nobody expects to get $100000 for a 1972 Gremlin.

By the way, I have always gotten about 15% off when buying a Grand Seiko, by just asking. Haggling seems to be a lost art nowadays in the West.

*) Rolex is no Ferrari, it is a mass produced product, about 1 million per year. GS makes something like 50000 watches per annum.

·
Premium Member
2,478 Posts
All the posters speak truth.
If you like the watch but don't want to pay full list price, then buy used. (but honestly, you should get a good discount from your AD)
If you don't want to absorb depreciation, buy used.
If you plan, intend, or expect to flip it, buy used to minimize the loss. Sense the pattern here?
If you want an investment vehicle, first and foremost, and a wristwatch secondarily, buy a Rolex.

As for the SNR029, I bought used, mint condition at a substantial discount and I couldn't be happier. For me, it is THE essential Seiko diver of this generation. I cycle through all my other Seikos including Tunas, another LX GMT, etc. but I always keep coming back to the SNR029. It is the high-end tool diver archetype and I feel ike I'm wearing a purely distilled concept as much as I'm wearing a watch. Frankly, it's bloody perfect at what it is.

·
Premium Member
1,547 Posts
No worries, as you will never "get sick" of your Grand Seiko. :)

I have Rolex, AP and others and love them, but my GS will be the last to sell.

Comparing to Rolex IMO GS is clear winner. Rolex enjoying the high demand driven by fashion. IMO it makes Rolex less attractive, as too many just buy to show off.
Fashions come and go, and the GS will always be a watch to deliver, as it supposed to per GS philosophy the Accuracy, Legibility and Durability.

·
Registered
91 Posts
This hobby is expensive and it’s a lost we all willingly accept. That said, there are a lot of people who just do not partake in the rolex game. After discovering Grand Seiko, swiss watches kinda bores me so I sold my omegas and went Grand Seikos.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
I love my Seikos and Rolex. It is what it is and ill always buy smart even though I do not buy as an investment. As said, buy LNIB at a discount if you feel your losing money by going new.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Combination of intense marketing spend over decades AND a supply shortage. Increased demand and constrained supply = strong secondary market. This comes with its own drawbacks though. It is hard to get one new, and used often costs more than MSRP.
that's what i figured, sucks when it's controlled shortage to create demand, that why i don't really like the luxury market. Too bad i do like the rolex design though... ;) but i have to say the SNR029 has a really cool industrial modern look,

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
All the posters speak truth.
If you like the watch but don't want to pay full list price, then buy used. (but honestly, you should get a good discount from your AD)
If you don't want to absorb depreciation, buy used.
If you plan, intend, or expect to flip it, buy used to minimize the loss. Sense the pattern here?
If you want an investment vehicle, first and foremost, and a wristwatch secondarily, buy a Rolex.

As for the SNR029, I bought used, mint condition at a substantial discount and I couldn't be happier. For me, it is THE essential Seiko diver of this generation. I cycle through all my other Seikos including Tunas, another LX GMT, etc. but I always keep coming back to the SNR029. It is the high-end tool diver archetype and I feel ike I'm wearing a purely distilled concept as much as I'm wearing a watch. Frankly, it's bloody perfect at what it is.

View attachment 15520544
It looks really good!

·
Registered
143 Posts
that's what i figured, sucks when it's controlled shortage to create demand, that why i don't really like the luxury market. Too bad i do like the rolex design though... ;) but i have to say the SNR029 has a really cool industrial modern look,
I'm not completely convinced it is a controlled shortage. Demand has spiked up a lot in Asia (especially China) as wealth in those regions has increased. The population there is very large and luxury goods are in demand, especially those heavily marketed. Remember for every watch enthusiast there are 99 people just looking for the "luxury watch" for which rolex has made itself the standard.

It makes sense that Rolex wouldn't have the capacity to meet this sudden surge in demand, and it may not make sense for them to ramp up production for demand that may be ephemeral / taper off.

With all that said, if the demand tapers off or their capacity increases enough to meet the demand in the future (think decades) the prices will likely revert to below msrp.

·
Registered
709 Posts
I'm not completely convinced it is a controlled shortage. Demand has spiked up a lot in Asia (especially China) as wealth in those regions has increased. The population there is very large and luxury goods are in demand, especially those heavily marketed. Remember for every watch enthusiast there are 99 people just looking for the "luxury watch" for which rolex has made itself the standard.

It makes sense that Rolex wouldn't have the capacity to meet this sudden surge in demand, and it may not make sense for them to ramp up production for demand that may be ephemeral / taper off.
Perfectly put.

People like all kinds of idiotic conspiracy theories, one is the Rolex creating a shortage of SS sports models on purpose. The fact is that for them to considerably increase production they would need about 700 watchmakers with at least 6 years of experience. That is impossible even in Switzerland. Also it is not possible to instantly change to production lines to accommodate for the sudden increase in demand for certain models. That would mean making less of something else they also steadily sell for profit (precious metal dress/bragging watches for the newly rich), but for different clients, not the vocal watch discussion board complainers demanding a Daytona NOW!. They simply need not care, but keep churning out watches in record numbers year after year. Earning healthy profit.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Watches tend to be pretty poor investments in my experience.
i know that. it's not that i'm looking at as growing in value but rather depreciating slower. 🤷‍♂️ Seems SEIKO are like most cars they lose 20-30% off the bat the minute you walk away from store. vs ROLEX which hold value much much better. SO i was just wondering why that is. Especially in the GRAND SEIKO world that apparently make less watches than rolex year on year.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts