WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Vendor
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've always admired WW1 Trench watches and wondered why not many companies make these beauties which altered the way men wore watches, transitioning from pocket watches to wristlets.
Sure we have Oris 1917 but not everyone wants to pay so much and hence I decided to make an affordable homage. I am hoping to kickstart these in Q4 2020. I'm at the final production sample stage. Once they are approved, I'll send the prototypes on a watch tour and proceed making the 1st 300 so hopefully we can send out the watches soon after the campaign ends.

Full wired lugs, enamel dial, sapphire crystal, screw dial crown..The Vario 1918 Trench may be a modern interpretation, but far from a novelty.
It remains truthful to the spirit of the original classics: a tough, functional, state of the art tool watch. Versatile too, as it will suit both your fatigues or cocktail attire.

The automatic version will likely cost US$250+ for pre-orders, and around $350+ for retail. We are also considering to offer a quartz variant with a Seiko VD78 movement.
This version will likely cost US$140+ for pre-orders, and around $220+ for retail. Please mark your interest for quartz and we will offer it if we get enough support.

More info on https://vario.sg/pages/ww1-trench-watch

Thanks for checking them out!
Ivan

black_dial04.jpg

close_up02.jpg

IMG_20200312_184521 (1).jpg

white_dial_faux_wrist.jpg

dial_options_new.jpg

Watch Specs

Case diameter: 37mm
Case thickness: 10mm
Crystal: 2mm double domed sapphire with inner AR applied
Dial: Enamel
Lug width: 18mm
Lug to lug: 45mm
Lume: C3 Lume
Case Material: 316L stainless steel
Caseback: 316L stainless steel with option for engraving
Crown: Screw-down crown (enlarged in final version for easy handling)
Movement: Miyota 82s5 automatic movement with hand-winding and hacking seconds. 21 jewels 21.6kpbh
Water resistance: 10 atm

·
Registered
383 Posts
When will these be available ?

·
Registered
23 Posts
I really hope there is enough interest in the quartz models.

I really appreciate that the small seconds (or high beat movement on the eclipse) helps cover up the stutter movement.

Please update us when you decide on the quartz.

·
Vendor
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
it seems like there is enough interest in the quartz for me to make 2 variants. VD78 does not feature a sweep hand. Will have a look at Miyota's offering and see if they have something suitable or any suggestions are welcomed.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I am a huge fan of this style of watch and I gotta say I really appreciate the sizing you have chosen to go with. There’s a few modern versions of these trench watches on the market and I always felt they were too oversized. Your specs look great though and I think you’ve got a winner on your hands here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
23 Posts
it seems like there is enough interest in the quartz for me to make 2 variants. VD78 does not feature a sweep hand. Will have a look at Miyota's offering and see if they have something suitable or any suggestions are welcomed.
Awesome news!

Sorry I was unclear in my previous comment. I meant to say that I think you have used quartz well in your watches. The eclipse having high beat and this having small seconds makes quartz tendency to not always hit the mark less noticeable and the seconds sub dial makes it seem less jarring. I think it's a good way to lure some extra buyers towards the quartz.

Looking forward to the launch.

·
Vendor
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I might make the quartz 39mm to lure some folks who find 37mm a tad small.

Ivan :unsure:

I am a huge fan of this style of watch and I gotta say I really appreciate the sizing you have chosen to go with. There’s a few modern versions of these trench watches on the market and I always felt they were too oversized. Your specs look great though and I think you’ve got a winner on your hands here.

·
Registered
23 Posts
my survey was in 2mm increments 36,38,40,42 and many wanted 38mm
Yes, I did see that and fill out a response. I was split between 36 and 38mm but voted 36mm.

Just out of curiosity, is the difference in sizes movement related, or is there another reason you considered changing the size and made the survey?

·
Vendor
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It's not movement related but I was thinking quartz would be targeted at the mass who is used to bigger watches. I will still need to design it to see how it works before confirming the size.

Yes, I did see that and fill out a response. I was split between 36 and 38mm but voted 36mm.

Just out of curiosity, is the difference in sizes movement related, or is there another reason you considered changing the size and made the survey?

·
Registered
73 Posts
It's not movement related but I was thinking quartz would be targeted at the mass who is used to bigger watches. I will still need to design it to see how it works before confirming the size.
I can understand the need to appeal the the masses with a slightly larger size. Even at 40mm it’s still a great size in comparison to some I’ve seen that go to 44mm.

·
Vendor
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I am still abit scared because I've already commited to 300 autos. Another 100+ quartz doesn't sound like much but still I don't want to overstock so I can move on to my next watch design. I don't prefer to deal with too much marketing in order to move stock.

I can understand the need to appeal the the masses with a slightly larger size. Even at 40mm it’s still a great size in comparison to some I’ve seen that go to 44mm.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I am still abit scared because I've already commited to 300 autos. Another 100+ quartz doesn't sound like much but still I don't want to overstock so I can move on to my next watch design. I don't prefer to deal with too much marketing in order to move stock.
I will still be keen at 39mm, but obviously you need to do what is right for you and your brand. Still thoughiI selfishly hope you go for quartz too!

1 - 20 of 72 Posts