WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

41 - 60 of 72 Posts

·
Vendor
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Thanks for your support!
I'm making a prototype for the medic variant but I'm not sure if it will be ready by the time we go into the campaign. The older 8215s don't hack and seem to not get as much love compared with the NH3x series which hacks and winds. I guess that's my main reason. I also didn't want to move it up to Miyota 9 series because I think this probably not an everyday watch and keeping it more affordable would be key.

I do like that dial, I'm a huge fan of Arabics especially the Trech style Arabics. I'm in!

How's the Medic dial coming along, do you have photo's, the Medic dial will be different to the Trench dial?

I was curious as to why you chose the Seiko movement for the Medic and the Miyota 82xx for the Trench, something to do with the case sizes?

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
378 Posts
Thanks for your support!
I'm making a prototype for the medic variant but I'm not sure if it will be ready by the time we go into the campaign. The older 8215s don't hack and seem to not get as much love compared with the NH3x series which hacks and winds. I guess that's my main reason. I also didn't want to move it up to Miyota 9 series because I think this probably not an everyday watch and keeping it more affordable would be key.
Thanks for the information.

I wanted to know the reason you are using the Miyota 82s5 for Trench and the Seiko NH38a for the Medic? Why not use the NH38a for both?

·
Vendor
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
I wanted a small seconds handwound initially but there wasnt any offered by the Jap so its either I go Swiss or I go Chinese.. both options I try to avoid and went with Miyota 82s5 auto which had small seconds. I guess I'll use Chinese movements at some stage if I can't find Japanese movements that can do the same... price/performance wise.

Thanks for the information.

I wanted to know the reason you are using the Miyota 82s5 for Trench and the Seiko NH38a for the Medic? Why not use the NH38a for both?

·
Registered
378 Posts
I wanted a small seconds handwound initially but there wasnt any offered by the Jap so its either I go Swiss or I go Chinese.. both options I try to avoid and went with Miyota 82s5 auto which had small seconds. I guess I'll use Chinese movements at some stage if I can't find Japanese movements that can do the same... price/performance wise.
I see where you are coming from now, thank you.

I've read that a good quality Seagull movement will last as long as Seiko movement, I have a good quality Seagull movement watch and its outpreformed many other watches (bit subjective I know).

Personally I'm not too keen on the default design on the caseback so I'll order a spare one. That being said I can see being a classic timepiece for many collectors.

·
Vendor
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
I don't have any experience with Chinese movements as a watch brand and felt I shouldn't touch it until I have abit more experience.

I see where you are coming from now, thank you.

I've read that a good quality Seagull movement will last as long as Seiko movement, I have a good quality Seagull movement watch and its outpreformed many other watches (bit subjective I know).

Personally I'm not too keen on the default design on the caseback so I'll order a spare one. That being said I can see being a classic timepiece for many collectors.

·
Registered
378 Posts
I don't have any experience with Chinese movements as a watch brand and felt I shouldn't touch it until I have abit more experience.
Wise decision.

Their QC (Quality Control) has improved a lot over the years, as long as the QC is there, it's a good starting point.

·
Premium Member
966 Posts
would like to see a handwind version of this watch

Reactions: Vario and no-time

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
I've thought about it before but that means Chinese or Swiss movements which I am not ready yet.
Have you thought about vintage American? Like a limited edition with Hamilton, Elgin, Waltham, or Illinois?

Problem to solve would probably be getting enough of 1 type to make a run of 50 watches.

Reactions: no-time

·
Vendor
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
U mean sourcing older movements? That would be a huge undertaking unless someone can provide them to me in lots of 100.
But it would be really cool!

Have you thought about vintage American? Like a limited edition with Hamilton, Elgin, Waltham, or Illinois?

Problem to solve would probably be getting enough of 1 type to make a run of 50 watches.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I think the design and the value of this watch are fantastic. I would love to see it with a shrapnel guard just for the sake of a full ensemble but regardless I think it's beautifully crafted. Thank you for sharing.

While the medic version looks very interesting, as a physician, I could not help but notice the use of the staff of Caduceus instead of the rod of Asclepius at the 6 o'clock position. The latter is the more established medical symbol. Having said that, I think the interchangeability of the two started around 1902 in the United States so this may also be considered period-appropriate. However, I would wonder if Asclepius would be the more fitting choice.

Otherwise, I think it's a delightful piece and look forward to your Kickstarter campaign.

·
Vendor
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
I've debated the 2 rods interestingly and did some googling and noticed the popularity of Caduceus around 1900s and realised in our contemporary application, Caduceus is used by US medical corp and other armies and coat of arms so it made more sense to go with Caduceus. But even then, the pulsometer probably isn't period correct as well. I couldn't find 1 like that on a trench. It probably came in 1920s like what some article suggested but I guess as vintage inspired, we do have some leeway, until historic replicas.

I think the design and the value of this watch are fantastic. I would love to see it with a shrapnel guard just for the sake of a full ensemble but regardless I think it's beautifully crafted. Thank you for sharing.

While the medic version looks very interesting, as a physician, I could not help but notice the use of the staff of Caduceus instead of the rod of Asclepius at the 6 o'clock position. The latter is the more established medical symbol. Having said that, I think the interchangeability of the two started around 1902 in the United States so this may also be considered period-appropriate. However, I would wonder if Asclepius would be the more fitting choice.

Otherwise, I think it's a delightful piece and look forward to your Kickstarter campaign.

·
Vendor
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #58

·
Vendor
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
At this stage, I've leaned towards offering brass as a stretch goal, since that's what the survey says. I really have to consolidate the orders to get a better price.

Checked out the page, don't see the Trench with quartz mentioned. Does that mean the idea has been scrapped?

41 - 60 of 72 Posts