WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings to fellow Ball Club members.
Correct me if I am wrong. From what I understand, 3H gas tube is where the tritium gas is being capsulated in the tube form. We have seen Ball watches featuring all various sizes, brightness and colours, but is it possible to come out with different shapes of gas 'tube'? :think:
I think it would be interesting when Ball watches can have different designs of the hour/minute/second hands, dial index etc. :p

·
Registered
17,513 Posts
There are already different shapes of gas tubes. Look between the Hydrocarbon series VS. The Trainmaster series.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Obie, thanks for the nice photos. :-!

What I mean was shape that is aside from the current 'tube' look. Like a triangle shape, or like the hour hand of the seiko monster that come in one piece of a gas tube.

·
Registered
837 Posts
also curious. Perhaps the tubes must be cylinder shaped for the gas or something?

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
I'm curious, too. I'm no engineer by any stretch of the human imagination...but I'm guessing that any shape that might be used in the design of the mineral glass tritium vials, must be structurally sound and strong enough to safely and securely contain the radioactive tritium gas, even through the unplanned minor impacts that the owner would typically subject his watch to in daily life. Perhaps the standard cylindrical shape of the vial is the strongest and most economical shape to manufacture in vast quantities...? :think:

Could it also be that some of the possible vial shapes might not be the best shapes for keeping the tritium glow evenly distributed throughout the vial? :think:

Any engineers out there? Inquiring minds, you know...

;-)

·
Registered
444 Posts
I'm not sure what the tubes look like inside my Moonglo but the numbers have some nice curves to them and they look just the same in the dark. Here's an example.

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
I don't know what other shapes there are, but I was searching on the Microtec website and lookee what I found:

How cool is that?

Here is some info on this product:

NSN 6605-25-148-8164 Map Reader with stand. scale​

The mb-microtec ag map reader is equipped with trigalight-technology and thus enables the soldiers to read documents and maps in darkness. When equipped with appropriate scaling it can also be used to guide or correct artillery or mortar fire. Installed in a sturdy polyamide body that protects the built-in magnifying lens as well as the the trigalight. This tactical device is absolutely shock-resistant and up to the task without ever needing service or maintenance. This Map Reader not only requires no source of energy, it can also survive extreme temperatures without any problems.

Specifications​

The image is magnified by a high quality lens (x 1,7) making small landmarks and contour lines on maps easily and quickly readable. The body of the map reader is manufactured using black polyamid.​

Three standard versions of the mapreader are available:
- Open version without bottom cover Stock no. MR 0.
- Sealed version with bottom cover calibration: 1:25.000 and 1:50.000 lateral, 0-6400 mils radial.
Stock no. MR 25.50/6400.
- Sealed version with bottom cover calibration: 1 inch/mile lateral, 0-6400 miles radial.
Stock no. MR 1/6400.​

All sealed versions are manufactured to withstand ingress of moisture and to prevent mouldgrowth. Nonstandard scales will be made to special order. A light, tight webbing case is available allowing attachment to the waist belt (optional).​

1. Materials body:
Polyamid 6 (DIN 7728), black, Lens: Acrylic, Bottom cover: Acrylic
2. Weight overall: 104 gramms
3. Size: 66 x 66 x 35 mm (Diameter / High)
4. Black nylon cord (2 m)
5. Illumination colour: yellow – standard, green – optional, white – optional​

1 - 7 of 7 Posts