WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All,
I’m in the market for a dress chronograph versatile enough to wear on weekends. I have fairly traditional tastes and smallish wrists, and am uncomfortable wearing watches over 40mm. The two options that sing most to me are the VC Cornes de Vache in platinum and the PP 5170G (probably black dial, though perhaps the white). I love the ALS 1815 chrono, but I already have an 1815 up/down, which is a bit too similar. In theory, the Datograph would be perfect except it just doesn’t sit well on my wrist - too chunky for me, unfortunately. So that leaves me with the VC and 5170 as my top choices. Which watch do folks think can transition better to the weekend? I have an option to buy preowned mint versions of either watch for close to the same price (the PP is slightly more, but not significantly). I know PP collectors never liked the 5170 as much as the 5070, but the dimensions of the 5170 suit me better and I like the fact that the 5170 has an in-house movement. I’m leaning towards the VC because of the vintage vibe, and the fact that I don’t have a VC in my collection, but a few people have told me VCs generally don’t hold their value. So I’d appreciate any thoughts! Thank you.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
If you like the vintage vibe, VC it is. I personally prefer the VC to the 5170. I like the movement architecture (purely aesthetically speaking here) of the VC more - I have a thing against small balance wheels.

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
I would go with VC, has a more interesting case design + I like the dial better compared to 5170.

Which one fits for the weekend? honestly I am all over the place to wearing what and where, so it all can fit.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you. I don’t want to sell my 1815 up/down to trade up for the chrono, because I love the up/down and wear it more than any watch in my collection (I wear a suit to work). It’s a fantastic dress watch. I wish I could pull off the Dato, because it’s obviously an iconic watch, but as much as I admire it and the brand, it doesn’t feel right on my wrist so I don’t think I can pull it off. Regrettably, I had the same issue with the PP 5070. Maybe it’s psychological, but the VC and 5170 just seem to sit better on my 6.5” wrist.

·
Registered
403 Posts
i have a 5170 and have tried on the CDV a few times. my wrists are 7.25" around but kind of flat and skinny vs. chunky and even then i find the 5170 wears bigger than the size suggests. the case is really low profile and there isnt a lot of bezel. the CDV wears bigger depth wise but feels smaller diameter. would recommend trying them on obviously if you havent. i am with you on the 5070, i want to love it but the size is just a bit much for me so on the wrist it doesnt work for me personally. i dont mind about the lack of love for the 5170, hopefully it will stand the test of time - its a classic watch with an important movement in it.

would i wear the 5170 with a t shirt, no probably not. but i put some non-oem flat non-exotic skin straps on it and it looks really good with jeans and shirt kind of casual. Mine is the J white dial though, so the G black dial should be less dressy up front.

fwiw i also had the original dato and sold it, it felt too top heavy for me - i never found a strap that made it comfortable.

tough choice, good luck.

·
Registered
852 Posts
I ended up getting the CDV. Thanks for all the advice. I love it, and it fits me perfectly.
what a great watch you ended up getting, i have the 5170G with the white dial and love it too

IMG_6932_PP5170G.JPG

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Azizu, your watch is indeed fantastic. I’ve always liked the 5170. I see that you also have a 5146, as do I (5146P for me). You have good taste, sir. I’m new to the forum and am so glad to have discovered it. What a great resource.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Azizu, your watch is indeed fantastic. I’ve always loved the 5170G. I see you also have a 5146, as do I (5146P for me). You have good taste, sir. I’m new to the forum and am so glad to have discovered it. What a great resource.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts