WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i've been lurking on the forum for awhile, garnering lots of useful information. i've been thinking of acquriing a VC overseas for awhile. having a somewhat small wrist and body, i prefer the 42042. however, after reading the problems with VC service on this forum, i wasn't going to buy a VC, but i unexpectedly just "won" a VC overseas on ebay. i put a bid in well before the auction was over, expecting to be outbid, but that didn't happen. what a surprise!

i asked the seller when the watch was made, and he replied he didn't know but thought in the last couple years. i thought the 42042 was discontinued several years ago (2004?).

1. does anyone know the year when the VC overseas 42042 was last made?

2. does the watch appear to be authentic? please see the detailed pictures at this link (scroll to bottom) Vacheron Constantin Overseas Automatic Ref 42042 423A 8872 | eBay

thanks for any help you can offer!

·
Registered
3,519 Posts
I'm no expert, but I've always had an interest in the 42042. From the pictures, the watch appears to be authentic. The level of finishing looks right and I don't see any irregularities. I'm fairly certain the 42042 was discontinued in 2004. If not 2004, it was at the very least discontinued 6+ years ago, so the estimate of "the last couple years" is definitely off by a fair margin.

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
Looks like a good buy!

Does it have the original certificate?
What about a serial number to cross check?

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Looks like a good buy!

Does it have the original certificate?
What about a serial number to cross check?
thanks for the replies.

i'm not sure whether it's a good buy or not, as the sellers don't know when it was last serviced, but i can return it in two weeks if it's not working properly. on the surface it seems a decent price.

it does not come with "papers", only the instruction manual, so i guess the serial number can't be checked from the original certificate.

i live in a pretty small city, and i doubt there are watchmakers here that could evaluate it, else i would take it in to have it looked over.

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
thanks for the replies.

i'm not sure whether it's a good buy or not, as the sellers don't know when it was last serviced, but i can return it in two weeks if it's not working properly. on the surface it seems a decent price.

it does not come with "papers", only the instruction manual, so i guess the serial number can't be checked from the original certificate.

i live in a pretty small city, and i doubt there are watchmakers here that could evaluate it, else i would take it in to have it looked over.
First thing I would check when you get the watch is accuracy of time. If it is off by over a few seconds a day, then I would have an issue with the seller.
But yes, really then you could have an experienced watchmaker open it up and look at the movement.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts