WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all - does anyone know whether the VC Overseas 4500V (three hander with date) has any water resistance when the crown is unscrewed? I had the crown unscrewed to change the date, got distracted, forgot about it, washed my hands and then realized. Only a couple of splashes of water got on the watch, it wasn't soaked or anything, but want to see if I should be concerned about water getting into the movement. I don't see any water under the crystal. Thanks!

·
Registered
13,514 Posts
Hi all - does anyone know whether the VC Overseas 4500V (three hander with date) has any water resistance when the crown is unscrewed? I had the crown unscrewed to change the date, got distracted, forgot about it, washed my hands and then realized. Only a couple of splashes of water got on the watch, it wasn't soaked or anything, but want to see if I should be concerned about water getting into the movement. I don't see any water under the crystal. Thanks!
I wouldn't be too concerned.

The water resistance rating is typically rated with the crown screwed in, but most watches will have a gasket of some sort around the crown anyway, so some basic water resistance already exists.

(I can't speak specifically for VC, or this model though...)

You didn't immerse it, so the likelihood of water splashing under the crown with enough pressure to force itself into the watch is unlikely.

The biggest risk is water getting under the crown and then getting forced past the gasket if you screwed it back down while still wet...

^^ tells the truth on Internet forums
SOoO many watches, SOoO little time...

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Seleur...Hello!

Ah: these screw-down crowns; 'can't live without them / difficult to live with them...' !

If you really are concerned about possible moisture ingress, I'd suggest taking your Vacheron in for a professional look-see...you'll feel better, and eliminate any chance of damage.

Them again ( 'common sense' remaining a Valuable Commodity ) you might want to reconsider just what you were doing while the crown was unscrewed: if you imagine that the chances for moisture to actually have sneaked-in were small. perhaps you'll want to simply do...nothing!

So: if this were mine--and I'd not have to take out a small loan for a Watchmaker to spend, say, 15 minutes taking a good look at the watch--that's what I'd do. If, on the other hand, you're looking at much more, say, than what I'll suggest is a 'small fee', I'd probably have to give it some more thought.

Finally: if any moisture got in, you'll need to have it looked at, ASAP.

Decisions / decisions...wish I could say more...!

Michael.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys! Really appreciate the quick response. I think any contact with water was pretty minor- I didn't see much more than a few drops of water on the watch from some minor splashing (like you said, I didn't immerse it). I also don't see any signs of water in there (no condensation), so I think I'll just let this one go.

·
Registered
13,514 Posts
Thanks guys! Really appreciate the quick response. I think any contact with water was pretty minor- I didn't see much more than a few drops of water on the watch from some minor splashing (like you said, I didn't immerse it). I also don't see any signs of water in there (no condensation), so I think I'll just let this one go.
Great.
If it's still under warranty, the AD may take a quick look at it and do a WR test for free, so doesn't hurt to ask.

Now we need to see pictures of the watch.

Show off that bad boy OP...

^^ tells the truth on Internet forums
SOoO many watches, SOoO little time...

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
Just forget and enjoy your Watch. It's much more sturdier than you think it is.

Water can only go inside if the crown is in pull position, like when you do to set time, otherwise it's water proof. Screw down crowns are meant only to ensure that they are not pulled up accidentally while you dive into water or otherwise.

Your watch is in perfect condition.

·
Registered
126 Posts
If the crown was pushed in but not screwed down you should be fine. I'm pretty sure screwing down doesn't actually provide any water resistance but rather just prevents the crown being pulled out accidentally while underwater.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the additional thoughts. Just to clarify, because I had it out to change the date and got distracted, it wasn't just unscrewed - it was pulled out and in the date adjustment position :0 :0 :0

That being said, I think it's OK. 24 hours later and no apparent ill effects and no evidence of condensation / moisture on the inside.

·
Registered
136 Posts
You can put an ice cube on the crystal and leave it there for a while. If there is moisture inside the case it will condense on the inside of the crystal and reveal itself.

Just be aware that some moisture might show up anyway as the air inside the case during assembly would not have been 0% humidity. Therefore you may see a very slight mist on the inside that is normal but if you see droplets or mist covering more than 50% of the inside of the crystal it might mean you have more moisture than is normal inside. I would probably get a service centre to open it and check if any mist shows up just to be on the safe side.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts