WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a blue/black dial schuangling which is one of my favourite watches. So I was gutted when it kept stopping a couple of weeks ago. I decided against attempting a repair myself as I am still at the stage where I destroy as many watches as I fix. I found a local watchshop here in Greece. The old boy behind the counter took the back off, said service, tomorrow. I went back the following day to pick up the watch. It is now running beautifully. He charged me 20 euros. The question is; what did he do? (At that price he can't have done a full stripdown clean and lubrication), and is whatever he did adequate to keep the watch running in the longterm? I can't ask him personally as I don't speak Greek and he doesn't speak English.
On another note, The face, movement and caseback are original, but I have never seen another shuangling with this style of case and low profile crystal. Has it been recased. I am very happy with it as it is. It wears very flat on the wrist and is ideal under a shirt cuff

Attachments

·
Banned
1,888 Posts
I can't answer your question, apart from to suggest he might have simply lubricated it and/or changed the mainspring, but I do think this is a lovely watch, especially on the (Milanese?) bracelet.

·
Banned
8,921 Posts
I have a blue/black dial schuangling which is one of my favourite watches. So I was gutted when it kept stopping a couple of weeks ago. I decided against attempting a repair myself as I am still at the stage where I destroy as many watches as I fix. I found a local watchshop here in Greece. The old boy behind the counter took the back off, said service, tomorrow. I went back the following day to pick up the watch. It is now running beautifully. He charged me 20 euros. The question is; what did he do? (At that price he can't have done a full stripdown clean and lubrication), and is whatever he did adequate to keep the watch running in the longterm? I can't ask him personally as I don't speak Greek and he doesn't speak English.
On another note, The face, movement and caseback are original, but I have never seen another shuangling with this style of case and low profile crystal. Has it been recased. I am very happy with it as it is. It wears very flat on the wrist and is ideal under a shirt cuff
It doesn't take long to do a complete service. The watch and movement can be disassembled in 10 to 15 minutes. The parts can sit in the cleaner over night. The reassembly and lubrication shouldn't take more than half an hour.
You probably got a full service for that 20 euros. These movements are dead simple to service so he probably made some good coin :)

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the reassuring comments. I am now happy to entrust some of my other watches to this old boy when they require attention. Despite the language barrier he appeared to know his stuff, and seemed genuinely interested in the watch.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts