WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My first post. I just discovered this forum yesterday. I went through the entire Suunto archive to read about how people have done troubleshooting for the Vector.

I have a Vector Black originally purchased in 2000. It is my everyday watch and has been working flawlessly.

I change the battery every 18-20 months. Every other battery I replace the o-ring, and usually at the same time I replace the battery cover.

In 2003 I had it serviced to repair the crystal (deep wide scratch) and great company they sent me a completely new unit.

The low battery warning came on a few weeks ago, and this time around I planned to replace just the battery, not the o-ring and cover.

Two days ago the Mode button stopped functioning. I figured it was due to ~very~ low battery and bought a new battery right away.

However, after installing the new battery the Mode button still does not work.

Worse, the unit spontaneously resets to 6pm 1.1 2000. Or it suddenly changes view as if I had pushed the Select button, but I hadn't. Or it jumps to a different mode even though the Mode button has no effect when I deliberately push it.

Sometimes the screen is blank for more than a minute, but once I was able to recover the screen by pressing on one of the +/- buttons.

All of this is both perplexing and frustrating. Just now the unit is in Compass mode and I can't get out of it.

From what I've gathered in the archives, here are my options:

1. Spend ~ $10 on the battery kit. It is possible the old cover and o-ring are too out of shape, so the battery is not staying seated against the contacts. But would that also explain the Mode button failure?

2. Make a Service Request with Suunto and let them diagnose/repair/replace. Can anybody tell me what to anticipate in terms of repair and shipping costs? Back in 2003 the max was ~ $75 plus shipping. If it's much higher now then I might be better of simply buying a new unit. I've gotten my money's worth out of this one, but I'd sure be happy to keep wearing it for another 12 years!

3. Take it apart and see if I can diagnose/clean/repair parts myself. I read the excellent Vector disassembly sticky. But that does risk making matters worse if I botch something.

Are there other options I might consider?

I appreciate any comments or advice from members here.

Thanks!

·
Registered
14,018 Posts
1. Spend ~ $10 on the battery kit. It is possible the old cover and o-ring are too out of shape, so the battery is not staying seated against the contacts. But would that also explain the Mode button failure?
I dont think so. Sounds "internal" to me.

2. Make a Service Request with Suunto and let them diagnose/repair/replace. Can anybody tell me what to anticipate in terms of repair and shipping costs? Back in 2003 the max was ~ $75 plus shipping. If it's much higher now then I might be better of simply buying a new unit. I've gotten my money's worth out of this one, but I'd sure be happy to keep wearing it for another 12 years!

This would me by route. Its an old unit and has been worn well. Things happen. Nothing lasts forever. No ideas on the cost. But perhaps a Suunto Tech could give you an idea.

3. Take it apart and see if I can diagnose/clean/repair parts myself. I read the excellent Vector disassembly sticky. But that does risk making matters worse if I botch something.

It does... :) But you never know. If you are VERY careful you could try this one first and see what you get, then consider the "spa treatment".

Are there other options I might consider?

It is an old unit and has been worn well. It may be on its last leg :(

·
Premium Member
7,632 Posts
I'd try another new battery first.

Wouldn't be the first time a supposedly "new" battery was not fresh.

HTH

·
Registered
14,018 Posts
Good point. I kind of doubt it based on the mode button description, but its worth the low cost of a battery. I hope that is it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
By the events leading up to the fault it seems most likely there is water damage to the circuitboard through the battery hatch. Sometimes there are visible signs like water or moisture inside the battery compartment, or condensation on the inside of the lens, other times there can be none of those things and just a tiny bit of water has reached the edge of the circuitboard and caused enough corrosion to either a track or a component to cause short or open circuit or intermittent faults. Pulling apart the watch can confirm this, but if you can't pressure test your watch it you risk flooding it once you re assemble it, even if you clean it up and it goes ok again. It really should go to a Suunto service centre if you can.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Back to say "thanks" for the reponses.

I'm taking your advice to send the unit in for Suunto service.

Meanwhile, looks like an occasion to pull out my vintage Casio DW-1000!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts