WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any possibility this GP watch is genuine? If so, any info? Thanks!

The dial looks to be in such good condition - it's either very well cared for, or...

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
Hard to believe the dial is original, it looks nearly brand new - look at the '11' the tops aren't consistent...S

PS - took 30 seconds on Google to look at the first 30 GP vintage signature images - most with a hyphen, all were horizontal - None written vertical with 'G' ABOVE 'P'.........

·
Registered
13,428 Posts
Hi
Dial is a terrible re-work, I doubt it ever looked like that.
The exaggerated numbers are terrible. I would have expected the sub seconds dial to be square/oblong but not round. And the stamp on the case does not look correct.

Movement I can not see the stamped name well enough.

But that dial is terrible

Adam

·
Banned
4,045 Posts
That movement is based on the FHF "Robert".

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
Likely not. The "name" on the movement was likely put there by someone who saw the "G/P" in the case. The engraving is badly done though. It's unlikely that a company would bother to engrave just their name on the movement without also engraving other stuff like the jewel count and adjustment level. Movement engravings weren't done for vanity, they were done for marketing and regulatory reasons.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Likely not. The "name" on the movement was likely put there by someone who saw the "G/P" in the case. The engraving is badly done though. It's unlikely that a company would bother to engrave just their name on the movement without also engraving other stuff like the jewel count and adjustment level. Movement engravings weren't done for vanity, they were done for marketing and regulatory reasons.
Thank you so much for all your replies. I will stay away from the watch.

·
Registered
13,428 Posts
Here is mine:

Note the square sub second ans oblong inner track

·
Registered
994 Posts
Here is mine:

Note the square sub second ans oblong inner track
I wonder, is it so difficult to fake this dial? I have done screen printing (that should be ok for a flat dial). At most it should be an entire days work including creating graphics, making the screens and printing. Perhaps it is just laziness....

EDIT: of course, they could have faked a different model.

·
Registered
18,167 Posts
I wonder, is it so difficult to fake this dial? I have done screen printing (that should be ok for a flat dial). At most it should be an entire days work including creating graphics, making the screens and printing. Perhaps it is just laziness....

EDIT: of course, they could have faked a different model.
Silk screened dials are relatively easy to spot. They lack the crispness of pad printed dials.

For pad printing you need to make etched/engraved masters.... not so easy.

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
Real GP signature (EDIT: Yours) is still not 'vertical' (EDIT: like the one above on two lines) and there is a hyphen.....

·
Registered
13,428 Posts
Real GP signature is still not 'vertical'....and there is a hyphen.....
sorry.
Are you referring to mine?
And if yes, what that its a reworked dial?
Thanks
adam

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
No not at all - saying, yours proves the point I made above about the dial Above Not being correct (written vertically) yours is correct with the signature written on the same line with a hyphen - the comment follows from above, so sorry if it wasn't clear enough, my fault, regards, SDA

Reactions: HOROLOGIST007

·
Registered
13,428 Posts
No not at all - saying, yours proves the point I made above about the dial Above Not being correct (written vertically) yours is correct with the signature written on the same line with a hyphen - the comment follows from above, so sorry if it wasn't clear enough, my fault, regards, SDA
Thanks your explanation.
I did not want another of my collection falling under "WUS fakes"
Thanks again
adam

Reactions: Sdasurrey

·
Registered
3,383 Posts
Thanks your explanation.
I did not want another of my collection falling under "WUS fakes"
Thanks again
adam
Hi Adam,

Nice to see this GP with original dial.
Original dials are a useful reference to the collector community, regardless of condition.

I would rather see an original dial, such as yours, than a freshly painted one, regardless of how well it
has been executed. But that is entirely from a collectors perspective, once the dial has been repainted
it can never again be original.
A watch cannot be said to be 100% original if it has a repainted dial or newish mis-matched hands, but
that doesn't mean that it's a fake, just that it's no longer 100% original s'all.

Very many vintage watches are no longer 100% original as far as the dial, hands and crown are concerned,
I don't call them fakes.

I'm fairly certain that the watch the op posted is a fake though, I wonder who the vendor is.

Just wondering, do you still think your 'Heuer'? chronograph is 100% original, apart from the re-plated case of course?
I've came across that watch on may other sites where you have posted it, extolling its authenticity.

·
Registered
13,428 Posts
Hi Radger
Thanks your comments/explanation. I 100% agree.

The Heuer? Let me pull it out again, and take another close inspection, prior to passing another comment

Thanks
adam

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
Personally I think Radger's comments are quite key - some vintage watches (too many) are going to be complete 'fakes' - the world is mostly 'gray' however not black and white. I think Radger has pointed out before, comments simply on the size of the watch hands nothing more, being most likely not original due to their size.

So it's therefore important to differentiate, broadly maybe at least three broad categories: completely 'original', mostly original but consistently vintage, with some non-original parts, but which are not misrepresented, and, those that are mostly 'fake' that we all try to stay completely away from because the seller's goal is outright misrepresentation like the GP that started this thread.

Personally, i have tended more and more toward not buying re-dials but there are still a few I have purchased because I thought they were 'reasonably well done' but of course until I have been acquiring vintage for a year I still consider myself a 'newbie' and am due a little leeway maybe....! Scott

Reactions: radger and Mirius
1 - 20 of 35 Posts