WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Very bad news and advice needed please (contains lots of tips on how to sell watches too)

6K views 105 replies 42 participants last post by  sehctaw 
#1 · (Edited)
They say that a burden shared is a burden halved. F71 was extremely supportive when I was diagnosed a couple years back with two brain tumours. Many fellow WIS's asked me to keep them posted, which really was a great support for me.

I'm afraid I have some bad news to share. It's looking very likely that I have Multiple Sclerosis. It's early days, so I'll just keep putting one foot in front of the other.

Moving on to the advice I need. I need to sell a couple hundred watches - which represents most of my collection. I'm really bad at photography, but I realize the watches need to have 5-8 shots each. What do you suggest in terms of photographing them? I don't want to get a light box, and I don't want to make it a complex project. All suggestions are gratefully welcome. Thank you.

#2 ·
Re: Very bad news and advice needed please

I'm sorry to hear. Dealing with serious health issues can be rough but no doubt you will have the right medical and social support to help you cope with your prognosis. Do keep us informed and I wish you the best outcome.

As for your watch question, you don't need a light box. I've sold scores of watches and I've never used one. I just wait for bright direct sunlight and use a DSLR and in more recent sales, I've started to use my phone's camera. I find buyers want to see the actual condition of the watch and not a perfectly lit studio pic. In fact, only posting "perfect" photos can sometimes cause a buyer to think "what are you hiding?" or they wonder if you've done some touchup. Sometimes to show the hairline scratches or small nicks you need harsh lighting.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

#4 ·

I'm sorry to hear. Dealing with serious health issues can be rough but no doubt you will have the right medical and social support to help you cope with your prognosis. Do keep us informed and I wish you the best outcome.
Thank you for your kind message NightOwl. I'll keep F71 in the loop.

As for your watch question, you don't need a light box. I've sold scores of watches and I've never used one. I just wait for bright direct sunlight and use a DSLR and in more recent sales, I've started to use my phone's camera. I find buyers want to see the actual condition of the watch and not a perfectly lit studio pic. In fact, only posting "perfect" photos can sometimes cause a buyer to think "what are you hiding?" or they wonder if you've done some touchup. Sometimes to show the hairline scratches or small nicks you need harsh lighting.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk
So, do you take the photos on or off the wrist? Also, how many shots per watch do you take? And, what views of the watch do you suggest?

#3 ·

Very sorry to hear the news, Live and love life to the fullest. On to photography, I wish I were closer as I would do it for you. With that said let's talk about what equipment you have now and go from there. You won't need a light box and some simple set ups can be used that are easy and inexpensive. When I know what camera you are using I can add more info. Macro or Micro lenses work very well and can even be rented. Let's start first with what equipment you have and get rolling on those photos :)

#6 ·

Very sorry to hear the news, Live and love life to the fullest.
Thank you mharris660. That's a great mantra!

On to photography, I wish I were closer as I would do it for you. With that said let's talk about what equipment you have now and go from there. You won't need a light box and some simple set ups can be used that are easy and inexpensive. When I know what camera you are using I can add more info. Macro or Micro lenses work very well and can even be rented. Let's start first with what equipment you have and get rolling on those photos :)
Thank you for your kindness. The camera is a Canon IXUS 801S.....small and simple.

#5 ·

First, my warm wishes for a good recovery. Multiple Sclerosis can very treatable, I hope it goes well.
I think you should reconsider the light box, especially if you have that many watches to sell. you can LED based ones of ebay for 50-75 US $. Using the lightbox will end up being less work, much better pictures. The cost of the box will be recouped by a better sale price very quickly.
You could even very simply make your own box
How to Create an Inexpensive Photography Lightbox: 15 Steps
and even skip a light source if you have a very sunny large window, or outdoors.

#12 ·

First, my warm wishes for a good recovery. Multiple Sclerosis can very treatable, I hope it goes well.
Thanks MEzz.

I think you should reconsider the light box, especially if you have that many watches to sell. you can LED based ones of ebay for 50-75 US $. Using the lightbox will end up being less work, much better pictures. The cost of the box will be recouped by a better sale price very quickly.
You could even very simply make your own box
How to Create an Inexpensive Photography Lightbox: 15 Steps
and even skip a light source if you have a very sunny large window, or outdoors.
Hmmmm, that's got me thinking now.

Reactions: MEzz
#8 ·

Sorry to hear, my wishes and prayers with you to fight back.Sure you will come back stronger then ever.....

Regarding watch question, just have a couple of direct sunlight shots with minimal reflection. May be you can post 5 pics ... Front, back, sides with crown and the other side and the strap/bracelet( if the bracelet/ strap shows more usage high light it too)... Sure these will suffice for a prospective buyer.. All the best on your sales.

#11 ·

Sorry to hear, my wishes and prayers with you to fight back.Sure you will come back stronger then ever.....
Thank you akvikram. For some reason, the image of the phoenix rising from ashes has been strong in my mind.

Regarding watch question, just have a couple of direct sunlight shots with minimal reflection. May be you can post 5 pics ... Front, back, sides with crown and the other side and the strap/bracelet( if the bracelet/ strap shows more usage high light it too)... Sure these will suffice for a prospective buyer.. All the best on your sales.
Good point regarding minimal reflection.

#9 · (Edited)

I'm sorry to hear about your health problems, especially on top of what you've already been through.

As for the watches I wouldn't worry about a light box too much. What you'll need though if you have one is a DSLR camera or even a mirrorless interchangeable lens compact system camera. The reason I suggest using one of these over a phone or regular compact camera is that they will have a larger sensor which will capture a wider dynamic range which is very important when trying to capture a shiny reflective object like a watch. You'll also need an area with a lot of nice natural light to take your pictures in, again this will help to reduce hard glare and reflections. A table in the garden can be a great place though try to make sure the sun isn't directly overhead if it is a very bright day. If you don't have a camera like those mentioned above then perhaps you might have a friend who could help you out with the photography.

Now for the pictures themselves, keep out simple and try to capture all the basic angles of the watch and a few extra things. When I list a watch I like to break the pictures down as follows -

1) A straight on shot of the watch face

2) Place the watch flat down and take one shot of the crown side of the case, one of the other side

3) Placing the watch on its side get a straight on shot of the case back

4) One of the bracelet clasp or buckle tang if it has one instead

5) A shot of the box

6) A group shot of the papers, instructions, warranty card etc. If need be place something over the serials and any personal details to obscure
them.

7) A lume shot. Take a flashlight or halogen lamp and charge up the lume for a few seconds. Now place the watch in a darkened area and take a shot. You may well need to rest the camera directly on a surface to stabilise it, or even better use the timer mode. Some cameras have problems focusing in darkened areas, if you find this then one tip is to turn on the lights, put the camera into timer mode, place the camera down flat (or on a tripod), press the shutter button to start the countdown, and then quickly turn the lights off before it takes the shot.

So that's all the major elements and angles covered. Personally I never bother with wrist shots because they can be very misleading. Depending on the type of lens your device has and how near or far it is positioned it can make your watch seem drastically different in size from real life in relation to your wrist and can be a little misleading. I prefer to just list all specs such as case size and lug to lug and let the buyer decide rather than posting a wrist shot that can make a smaller watch look enormous, or one that makes features such as the crown or lugs disappear into the case being overwhelmed by the dial. If you follow those tips above you should have all you need for a great informative listing, and good luck with your sales.

#13 ·

I'm sorry to hear about your health problems, especially on top of what you've already been through.
Thanks ShaggyDog.

As for the watches I wouldn't worry about a light box too much. What you'll need though if you have one is a DSLR camera or even a mirrorless interchangeable lens compact system camera. The reason I suggest using one of these over a phone or regular compact camera is that they will have a larger sensor which will capture a wider dynamic range which is very important when trying to capture a shiny reflective object like a watch. You'll also need an area with a lot of nice natural light to take your pictures in, again this will help to reduce hard glare and reflections. A table in the garden can be a great place though try to make sure the sun isn't directly overhead if it is a very bright day. If you don't have a camera like those mentioned above then perhaps you might have a friend who could help you out with the photography.

Now for the pictures themselves, keep out simple and try to capture all the basic angles of the watch and a few extra things. When I list a watch I like to break the pictures down as follows -

1) A straight on shot of the watch face

2) Place the watch flat down and take one shot of the crown side of the case, one of the other side

3) Placing the watch on its side get a straight on shot of the case back

4) One of the bracelet clasp or buckle tang if it has one instead

5) A shot of the box

6) A group shot of the papers, instructions, warranty card etc. If need be place something over the serials and any personal details to obscure
them.

7) A lume shot. Take a flashlight or halogen lamp and charge up the lume for a few seconds. Now place the watch in a darkened area and take a shot. You may well need to rest the camera directly on a surface to stabilise it, or even better use the timer mode. Some cameras have problems focusing in darkened areas, if you find this then one tip is to turn on the lights, put the camera into timer mode, place the camera down flat (or on a tripod), press the shutter button to start the countdown, and then quickly turn the lights off before it takes the shot.

So that's all the major elements and angles covered. Personally I never bother with wrist shots because they can be very misleading. Depending on the type of lens your device has and how near or far it is positioned it can make your watch seem drastically different in size from real life in relation to your wrist and can be a little misleading. I prefer to just list all specs such as case size and lug to lug and let the buyer decide rather than posting a wrist shot that can make a smaller watch look enormous, or one that makes features such as the crown or lugs disappear into the case being overwhelmed by the dial. If you follow those tips above you should have all you need for a great informative listing, and good luck with your sales.
I would never have thought about including papers and doing a lume shot.

#14 ·

I'm sorry to hear, I wish you're having a really good treatment for your condition and a speedy recovery.

I know next to nothing about photography and I think there's not much left to be added after some great advices proposed by others above. I just wanna add one thing, if possible take a photograph of the watch together with something as size comparison such as a coin or even better a metal ruler. I find it very useful as a buyer to gauge how big the watch is and how it would fit my wrist.

#15 ·

I'm sorry to hear, I wish you're having a really good treatment for your condition and a speedy recovery.
Thank you wtma.

I know next to nothing about photography and I think there's not much left to be added after some great advices proposed by others above. I just wanna add one thing, if possible take a photograph of the watch together with something as size comparison such as a coin or even better a metal ruler. I find it very useful as a buyer to gauge how big the watch is and how it would fit my wrist.
I had never thought of that - a useful idea.

#16 ·

The Canon IXUS 801S has a macro mode that will allow close up photography. That's a very good place to start. You could use a tripod or a simple bean bag and shoot with available light and a slow shutter speed. Set up a table near a window with some nice afternoon sun and "pose" your watches using the tripod and macro mode. Keep the camera very atill when you press the shutter. With just a tiny bit of practice you'll turn out some amazing shots.

Be creative, find some fun things around the house and just have fun. In no time you'll be shooting and enjoying your watches all over again.

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Strap
Watch Fashion accessory Analog watch Still life photography Metal

#17 ·

The Canon IXUS 801S has a macro mode that will allow close up photography. That's a very good place to start. You could use a tripod or a simple bean bag and shoot with available light and a slow shutter speed. Set up a table near a window with some nice afternoon sun and "pose" your watches using the tripod and macro mode. Keep the camera very atill when you press the shutter. With just a tiny bit of practice you'll turn out some amazing shots.

Be creative, find some fun things around the house and just have fun. In no time you'll be shooting and enjoying your watches all over again.

View attachment 7429610 View attachment 7429618
Nice shots. Would you suggest having props?

#18 · (Edited)

I do because I like the "art" of it all as I am a photographer by trade. Some may say you need to just showcase the watch but a beautiful watch in a nice setting adds to the image. When you visit a jewelry store the photos of diamonds are not just a rock or a ring. Those items are photographed in some sort of context. Now with that said it's easy. Go out and grab some beautiful women and let them wear your watches :)

#20 ·

I forgot to say earlier, one of these is absolutely invaluable for taking pictures of watches. You can pick them up very inexpensively on Ebay, it saves a lot of hassle trying to get a watch to sit up on its own.

OK. Do they have a specific name?

#22 ·

Hey mate. Here's hoping it ain't but if it is well i wish you all the best with managing the condition. Whilst the struggles that come along with managing a condition like that can be challenging with the right medical and social support network it is definitely easier. And if you coming here and sharing your struggles with us helps ease some of the burden then I think this place is better for it :)

Sorry can't help with the photography.

The Naf

#23 ·

Hey mate. Here's hoping it ain't but if it is well i wish you all the best with managing the condition. Whilst the struggles that come along with managing a condition like that can be challenging with the right medical and social support network it is definitely easier. And if you coming here and sharing your struggles with us helps ease some of the burden then I think this place is better for it :)

Sorry can't help with the photography.

The Naf
Thanks mate.

#24 ·

I'm sorry to hear about your diagnosis. There are some amazing disease-modifying treatments available now that can help you manage most remitting forms of MS. I hope you and your doctor can find the right fit for you. Most MS can be very manageable with active care and support. And while I'm on the topic, there are some amazing support groups online. Your local neurologist office will put you in touch with the right folks if they haven't already. Feel free to reach out if you have any questions.
As for the watches, my top three things:
- good lighting (natural is best)
- clean watches (either a quick dip in the jewelry cleaner or just a little microfiber towel makes a huge difference)
- dial shot first (aggregator sites like Watchrecon grab the first photo in your listing to post on their site - make sure it's the one that best summarizes your watch!)

Photographing your watches can be a great project and distraction to help you on your MS journey: it goes at your pace, can take a day off if needed and can even give you feedback on your motor skills if you're tracking those.
Best wishes as you start your journey. I look forward to many positive updates!

#25 ·

I'm sorry to hear about your diagnosis. There are some amazing disease-modifying treatments available now that can help you manage most remitting forms of MS. I hope you and your doctor can find the right fit for you. Most MS can be very manageable with active care and support. And while I'm on the topic, there are some amazing support groups online. Your local neurologist office will put you in touch with the right folks if they haven't already. Feel free to reach out if you have any questions.
Thank you Chief Wahoo. What you say is true about support groups. I'm very fortunate to have Australia's finest MS neurologist helping me through this.

As for the watches, my top three things:
- good lighting (natural is best)
- clean watches (either a quick dip in the jewelry cleaner or just a little microfiber towel makes a huge difference)
- dial shot first (aggregator sites like Watchrecon grab the first photo in your listing to post on their site - make sure it's the one that best summarizes your watch!)

Photographing your watches can be a great project and distraction to help you on your MS journey: it goes at your pace, can take a day off if needed and can even give you feedback on your motor skills if you're tracking those.
Best wishes as you start your journey. I look forward to many positive updates!
What jewellery cleaner do you recommend? And, do sites like Watchrecon grab stuff from eBay listings as well as postings on the WUS sales forum?

#26 ·

I just use a cheap tub of red jewelry cleaner from Walmart. My first one cost $4 and lasted five years.
Watchrecon aggregates sales from sales forums on about 20 watch forums, with WUS being the most active. It does not scrape auction sites to my knowledge.
Great to hear you have great medical support! I am looking forward to following and supporting your journey.

#27 ·

I just use a cheap tub of red jewelry cleaner from Walmart. My first one cost $4 and lasted five years.
Watchrecon aggregates sales from sales forums on about 20 watch forums, with WUS being the most active. It does not scrape auction sites to my knowledge.
Great to hear you have great medical support! I am looking forward to following and supporting your journey.
OK, thanks. We don't have Walmart in Australia. Would it be possible to post a picture of the tub - particularly the ingredients - please?

#28 ·

Really sorry to hear your news, there are no words to express how I wish I could help. You do seem to have a very tough, never say never, attitude which I'm sure will help you.

On the subject of watch photographs, you could make this a fun thing to do. It's always good to have real sunshine for good photography. I would select some of your favourite locations and take along 20 watches at at time. I put each of mine in resealable sandwich bags, so they don't rub up against each other in my back pack and get scratches. Something else I take with me is a micro fibre cloth to wipe them down and a soft large paintbrush to remove any residual dust. Dust is the enemy of the watch photographer. I then go out to some of my favourite scenic locations and enjoy the solitude, sunshine and your surroundings while taking the pictures.

Sunlight helps pick up any imperfections that you want to show and also brings out the colours in any bands or dials. People who might not have been interested in the watch may see something that the sunshine brings out in it and decide they want one after all. The added benefit of sunlight is that even lower end camera equipment can take pretty good pictures given enough light, macro photography is also easier with lots of light.

Plus you get to enjoy it and it seems less of a chore.

All the best

#44 ·

Really sorry to hear your news, there are no words to express how I wish I could help. You do seem to have a very tough, never say never, attitude which I'm sure will help you.
Thank you dobber72.

On the subject of watch photographs, you could make this a fun thing to do. It's always good to have real sunshine for good photography. I would select some of your favourite locations and take along 20 watches at at time. I put each of mine in resealable sandwich bags, so they don't rub up against each other in my back pack and get scratches. Something else I take with me is a micro fibre cloth to wipe them down and a soft large paintbrush to remove any residual dust. Dust is the enemy of the watch photographer. I then go out to some of my favourite scenic locations and enjoy the solitude, sunshine and your surroundings while taking the pictures.

Sunlight helps pick up any imperfections that you want to show and also brings out the colours in any bands or dials. People who might not have been interested in the watch may see something that the sunshine brings out in it and decide they want one after all. The added benefit of sunlight is that even lower end camera equipment can take pretty good pictures given enough light, macro photography is also easier with lots of light.

Plus you get to enjoy it and it seems less of a chore.

All the best
There's some good suggestions there.....thanks!

#29 ·

sorry to hear about your diagnosis - action is the companion of the positive outcome, and it sounds like you are doing the right things. all the best!

on photos, i don't have much to add, and actually learned a couple of things in the thread. i've sold a few watches, using only my note 3 camera.

what helps (for those who are buying watches now) is to keep all original boxes and papers, even if they are 'grails you'd never sell', - many folks like to buy watches with the original box, and is always a good selling point.

#45 ·

sorry to hear about your diagnosis - action is the companion of the positive outcome, and it sounds like you are doing the right things. all the best!
Thank you The Watcher.

on photos, i don't have much to add, and actually learned a couple of things in the thread.
I was actually thinking of re-naming this thread because there's a lot of great information about taking photos of watches.

#30 ·

Sorry to hear about the MS - life just sucks at times.
Treat yourself to a good camera and it will do a lot of the work for you. If you use the iPad camera like I do the results can be pretty poor (just look at some of my WRUW posts to see what I mean)

#47 ·

Sorry to hear about the MS - life just sucks at times.
Treat yourself to a good camera and it will do a lot of the work for you. If you use the iPad camera like I do the results can be pretty poor (just look at some of my WRUW posts to see what I mean)
You're right. Sxxt happens....and shifts happen too.

#31 ·

MHarris:
Whatta great gesture. Offering to help a fellow WIS'er.
It's individuals like yourself that attracted me to this Forum from the first.

Sechtaw:
Hope you have good luck in your recovery
Wife's niece suffers from MS too. Devastating!!

X traindriver Art

#38 ·

MHarris:
Whatta great gesture. Offering to help a fellow WIS'er.
It's individuals like yourself that attracted me to this Forum from the first.
This is a great community for many reasons.

Sechtaw:
Hope you have good luck in your recovery
Wife's niece suffers from MS too. Devastating!!

X traindriver Art
Thank you arogle1stus.

#32 ·

Hi. That completely sucks. I will keep you in my thoughts. Hope this is not redundant. I am reading on my phone...

You might consider starting with a list of what you are selling plus pricing.

Take mobile phone photos as needed when requests come in. Use window light to simplify the process.

This gives a plan of prioritized action.

You could create a simple google doc with info for buyers such as price, condition, papers etc. the google doc can be published and updated as sales are made...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#49 ·

Hi. That completely sucks. I will keep you in my thoughts.
Thank you masqueman.

Hope this is not redundant. I am reading on my phone...

You might consider starting with a list of what you are selling plus pricing.

Take mobile phone photos as needed when requests come in. Use window light to simplify the process.

This gives a plan of prioritized action.

You could create a simple google doc with info for buyers such as price, condition, papers etc. the google doc can be published and updated as sales are made...

So, is the google doc published on the Bay listing/WUS sales forum thread, or elsewhere?

#33 ·

Prayers and positive vibes to you, sehctaw. Your lighting questions I think got adequately answered within the first couple of posts.

I'd also suggest that if you're going to use a site like eBay, that you only list about 10 watches at the most at the same time. It can get quite overwhelming fast trying to keep track of payments and shipments when you have a lot going on at the same time. It can become a job in and of itself.

#40 ·

Prayers and positive vibes to you, sehctaw.
Thank you WorthTheWrist.

Your lighting questions I think got adequately answered within the first couple of posts. I'd also suggest that if you're going to use a site like eBay, that you only list about 10 watches at the most at the same time. It can get quite overwhelming fast trying to keep track of payments and shipments when you have a lot going on at the same time. It can become a job in and of itself.
I'd have never thought of that. If I use the Bay, should it be auction style or flat price?

#41 ·

I see that you allready got some good advice and help so I just wanted to say sorry for your problems
and I sincerely hope that you will be healed from all your pain and burdons!
Thank you Jay McQueen.

#37 ·

Sorry to hear about your news and I hope that your body responds well to the treatment your doctors prescribe! All the best!

As for selling, there is tons of great advice here!

Personally I always like to take pictures in natural sunlight. For watches, would clean with soft toothbrush and soap gently to get rid of grime from wear. Then maybe a very, very light polish with something like cape cod cloths to get a extra shine. I always like to see very detailed close ups of the watch face, and case from different angles, definitely the back as well. As long as your description is honest and there are enough pictures, it should sell for a good market price. I use a cheap DSLR that is almost 10 years old but does the job.

Things that may lower the value would be including any blurry pictures in a selling post or ebay. Or not giving enough details in the description about the condition. That is all. If looking to sell in a hurry would start prices low and let people bid to the highest price and accept whatever that may be. If you are not in too much of a rush then set the price to what you think is fair and let people send in offers. I hope this helps!

#51 ·

Sorry to hear about your news and I hope that your body responds well to the treatment your doctors prescribe! All the best!
Thank you MiniW.

As for selling, there is tons of great advice here!

Personally I always like to take pictures in natural sunlight. For watches, would clean with soft toothbrush and soap gently to get rid of grime from wear. Then maybe a very, very light polish with something like cape cod cloths to get a extra shine. I always like to see very detailed close ups of the watch face, and case from different angles, definitely the back as well. As long as your description is honest and there are enough pictures, it should sell for a good market price. I use a cheap DSLR that is almost 10 years old but does the job.

Things that may lower the value would be including any blurry pictures in a selling post or ebay. Or not giving enough details in the description about the condition. That is all. If looking to sell in a hurry would start prices low and let people bid to the highest price and accept whatever that may be. If you are not in too much of a rush then set the price to what you think is fair and let people send in offers. I hope this helps!
With an auction, am I compelled to sell at the highest bid?

#39 ·

I'm very sorry to hear about your diagnosis. We have family that has MS and it is a struggle but they are managing to live full lives with the support of their family. God bless you on your journey.

My photo advice is similar to Miniw. It is all about lighting. If you have a patio with full shade and take pics when it is full sun outside the color and shadows (or lack of) of your pics will be great. No flash. Honest descriptions, clear pics, and reasonable pricing will get the watch sold quickly.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Reactions: sehctaw
#52 ·

I'm very sorry to hear about your diagnosis. We have family that has MS and it is a struggle but they are managing to live full lives with the support of their family. God bless you on your journey.
Thank you valuewatchguy.

My photo advice is similar to Miniw. It is all about lighting. If you have a patio with full shade and take pics when it is full sun outside the color and shadows (or lack of) of your pics will be great. No flash. Honest descriptions, clear pics, and reasonable pricing will get the watch sold quickly.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk
Seems like lighting is key in this whole process.

#53 ·

So sorry about your diagnosis. Prayers for your health and treatment.
Thank you sal4.

I am eager to read the photography responses since I just use my iPhone to take my watch pics.

There's a lot of great information here, isn't there?

#48 ·

I am so sorry to hear about this. I remember few years ago a odyssey with cancer...keep your strenght and keep your head up. I have been treated for Non-Hodgin Lymfoma in my 20-ies. now I am in late 30-ies and still running strong. Keeping my fingers crossed, my friend.

#50 ·

I am so sorry to hear about this. I remember few years ago a odyssey with cancer...keep your strenght and keep your head up. I have been treated for Non-Hodgin Lymfoma in my 20-ies. now I am in late 30-ies and still running strong. Keeping my fingers crossed, my friend.
Thank you sinner777, and continued good health to you.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.