WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 12 Casio Aviators, from the GW-2000 [1] to the GW-2500 [3] to the GW-3000 [5] to the GW-3500 [1] to the GWA-1000 [2, including an RAF].

I think they are terrific watches. And what I like most, besides the sharp dial design, is that every one of them has perfect alignment between the hands [second, minute and hour] and the indices/markers. Casio has clearly perfected this alignment technology, and exceeds Citizen and Seiko in its efforts for precision in this aspect of modern watch configuration.

Perfected...until the GWA-1100. The second hand hits about half the markers exactly.

I invoked the automatic hand realignment function: all the hands point perfectly at 12:00pm.

The problem is that the dial is not perfectly set, perhaps the consequence of manufacture and assembly being in different countries [Japan/Thailand].

It is sad to see this reversion to haphazard alignment; this lack of precision cancels my enjoyment of the watch, despite its otherwise stellar characteristics. The sapphire crystal is quite nice.

The watch, despite its numerous functions, will become a gym watch for me.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Wow. Sorry to hear that. Only a fellow watch guy can relate so you're complaining in the right place. Most people wouldn't care but it's the small stuff that drives you crazy if you're passionate about something.
PS- I noticed the gw4000 missing from your list. Any reason why?

·
Registered
6,220 Posts
Sorry to hear it. I haven't jumped on a 1100 yet, but I would feel similar going through that.

I wonder if you saw 10 in a store if there would be a noticeable difference?

sent with aloha

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, Mr. Tedzone :)

Good eyes. Yes, I skipped the GW-4000 because I preferred the looks of the 3000, and I didn't think the 4000 had any compelling additional functionality.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry to hear it. I haven't jumped on a 1100 yet, but I would feel similar going through that.

I wonder if you saw 10 in a store if there would be a noticeable difference?

sent with aloha
That's a good question. And the only facts I have are my watch, and pictures of others I have seen on the Internet. I'm guessing this is a pervasive problem. I think it is the manufacturing process that relates to the setting of the dial, since I have also seen that the inlay of the marker near "1 o'clock" is off in all the pictures.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Sorry to hear of the condition you observed; I don't have this condition on mine; I don't think there is enough data to indicate that the problem is endemic to all watches of this model. Perhaps yours is defective, or someone opened the package and dropped it before you received it? Why not return it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Sorry to hear of the condition you observed; I don't have this condition on mine; I don't think there is enough data to indicate that the problem is endemic to all watches of this model. Perhaps yours is defective, or someone opened the package and dropped it before you received it? Why not return it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
A good suggestion. I will see if my eB*y seller is amenable to an exchange. [Pretty sure dropping is not the cause. The watch was very carefully packaged, and it is not the sort of problem that would likely come from a fall.]

·
Registered
528 Posts
A sapphire glass may not be best for the gym and a bit of a waste IMHO. Maybe you could switch the crystals between the a1100 and one of your a1000's first? If they would fit, that is...

·
Registered
187 Posts
I have 12 Casio Aviators, from the GW-2000 [1] to the GW-2500 [3] to the GW-3000 [5] to the GW-3500 [1] to the GWA-1000 [2, including an RAF].

I think they are terrific watches. And what I like most, besides the sharp dial design, is that every one of them has perfect alignment between the hands [second, minute and hour] and the indices/markers. Casio has clearly perfected this alignment technology, and exceeds Citizen and Seiko in its efforts for precision in this aspect of modern watch configuration.

Perfected...until the GWA-1100. The second hand hits about half the markers exactly.

I invoked the automatic hand realignment function: all the hands point perfectly at 12:00pm.

The problem is that the dial is not perfectly set, perhaps the consequence of manufacture and assembly being in different countries [Japan/Thailand].

It is sad to see this reversion to haphazard alignment; this lack of precision cancels my enjoyment of the watch, despite its otherwise stellar characteristics. The sapphire crystal is quite nice.

The watch, despite its numerous functions, will become a gym watch for me.
That is exactly why I avoided analog watch at all. As far as I know this could happen even on some high-end mechanic watch...

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That is exactly why I avoided analog watch at all. As far as I know this could happen even on some high-end mechanic watch...
Please forgive my poor Chinese, but I can't risk asking: Does your handle mean "I am a small pig?" No offense if I got it wrong.

You are right that this "misalignment" issue can rear its ugly head any time and with any brand. But I still like the analogs. I have many digitals too, but there is something about an analog that is very appealing.

Best wishes. "Wo ye shi xiao zhu" :) Renshi nii wo hen gaoxing.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Please forgive my poor Chinese, but I can't risk asking: Does your handle mean "I am a small pig?" No offense if I got it wrong.

You are right that this "misalignment" issue can rear its ugly head any time and with any brand. But I still like the analogs. I have many digitals too, but there is something about an analog that is very appealing.

Best wishes. "Wo ye shi xiao zhu" :) Renshi nii wo hen gaoxing.

Yes you are right it means "I am a little pig" or "I am a piglet" in Chinese. I had a hard time choosing a user name when registering so I thought it may be easier to use Chinese... along with a cute name. I speak Chinese (it justifies my poor english sometimes...) though I am currently living at new jersey.

I love analog watch as well but sometimes I have a strong OCD and if I see the hands are misaligned I have a strong urge to correct it, and of course it is a bad idea. So to make my life easier I just avoid analog watch at all unless it is a premium brand and I don't mind buying it in a mall or watchstore. Online shopping just adds so many uncertainties...

I am sorry to hear your 1100 isn't perfect but hey all my g shocks are not perfect and some of them even have more annoying problems. But it is part of the fun for g-collection I guess! And "ren shi ni ye hen gaoxing"!

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Yes you are right it means "I am a little pig" or "I am a piglet" in Chinese. I had a hard time choosing a user name when registering so I thought it may be easier to use Chinese... along with a cute name. I speak Chinese (it justifies my poor english sometimes...) though I am currently living at new jersey.

I love analog watch as well but sometimes I have a strong OCD and if I see the hands are misaligned I have a strong urge to correct it, and of course it is a bad idea. So to make my life easier I just avoid analog watch at all unless it is a premium brand and I don't mind buying it in a mall or watchstore. Online shopping just adds so many uncertainties...

I am sorry to hear your 1100 isn't perfect but hey all my g shocks are not perfect and some of them even have more annoying problems. But it is part of the fun for g-collection I guess! And "ren shi ni ye hen gaoxing"!
I have =way= more than a little OCD :)

I know that hand alignment is hit or miss with Citizen. I think Seiko has improved its game some.

But Casio has completely solved the problem of alignment in my experience, and I am truly surprised to experience difficulty with a Casio product in this regard.

In addition to the 12 Aviators [all have perfect alignment], I have an Oceanus, a Mr-G 8100, and several others. All in I have at least 20 Casio atomic analogs. =All= of them have perfect, or near perfect alignment. This is my first difficulty in more than five years.

The only previous problems I have had with the Casio brand relate to failed solar batteries. I have had six cease working. But ordering a CTL1616 and replacing it isn't that difficult, and it is something within my control.

The auto-correct/hand resetting feature is good if the watch pointers are =systematically= off the mark, but partial dial misalignment is something that is not customer-addressable. Well, perhaps through psychiatric counseling for OCD :)

Xie xie ni, woshixiaozhu shen sheng!

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I think you'll have to trust me :)

It isn't addressable by the reset procedure. The misalignment only affects the second hand. After reset all hands point =perfectly= to 12:00pm. The hour and minute hands remain in perfect alignment as they walk around the dial. The second hand goes slightly off [a modest "overbite"] around 20 seconds after the minute, stays out of alignment with the marker until about 40 seconds after the minute, and then gets back into alignment for the rest of the journey.

It isn't parallax, lack of full charge, or anything that could be reset. As I mentioned, the three hands are in exquisite communication with the markers after the "hand alignment" procedure. Two of the three hands remain so.

The frustration is that this is a =Casio=, and Casio has long since solved the issue of hand/marker alignment.

But I guess every manufacturing process has black sheep.

Do you have access to a good camera that can shoot macro shot so that we can get a good view on this issue?

·
Registered
187 Posts
I have =way= more than a little OCD :)

I know that hand alignment is hit or miss with Citizen. I think Seiko has improved its game some.

But Casio has completely solved the problem of alignment in my experience, and I am truly surprised to experience difficulty with a Casio product in this regard.

In addition to the 12 Aviators [all have perfect alignment], I have an Oceanus, a Mr-G 8100, and several others. All in I have at least 20 Casio atomic analogs. =All= of them have perfect, or near perfect alignment. This is my visit difficulty in more than five years.

The only previous problems I have had with the Casio brand relate to failed solar batteries. I have had six cease working. But ordering a CTL1616 and replacing it isn't that difficult, and it is something within my control.

The auto-correct/hand resetting feature is good if the watch pointers are =systematically= off the mark, but partial dial misalignment is something that is not customer-addressable. Well, perhaps through psychiatric counseling for OCD :)

Xie xie ni, woshixiaozhu shen sheng!
Your welcome :D And I envy you so much to have such a large collection of aviators!

·
Registered
6,194 Posts
I think you'll have to trust me :)

It isn't addressable by the reset procedure. The misalignment only affects the second hand. After reset all hands point =perfectly= to 12:00pm. The hour and minute hands remain in perfect alignment as they walk around the dial. The second hand goes slightly off [a modest "overbite"] around 20 seconds after the minute, stays out of alignment with the marker until about 40 seconds after the minute, and then gets back into alignment for the rest of the journey.

It isn't parallax, lack of full charge, or anything that could be reset. As I mentioned, the three hands are in exquisite communication with the markers after the "hand alignment" procedure. Two of the three hands remain so.

The frustration is that this is a =Casio=, and Casio has long since solved the issue of hand/marker alignment.

But I guess every manufacturing process has black sheep.
It is not that I do not trust you it is more that it would be interesting to see this phenomenon...

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
It is not that I do not trust you it is more that it would be interesting to see this phenomenon...
I have a suitable camera, but I have no idea how to take shots that would illustrate the phenomenon in a reasonable amount of time.

The second hand "overshoots" the marker, between 20 seconds and 40 seconds, by a small but perceptible amount, perhaps the width of the second hand point or less. I think there is a high likelihood that the dial is very slightly misaligned.

On the other hand, there is perfect alignment in the case of my two GWA-1000 models.

Cheers.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts